10 Gallon Frag Tank Nitrate Question

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a 10 gallon LPS frag tank , My goal is to run a fishless system. Would a decent amount of snails and crabs and daily feeding them produce enough waste to keep me in the 5-10ppm margin , Secondly Im debating on either doing 1/2 sandbed or to run as a bare bottom .

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should work in theory, but every one's system is unique. such a small system may likely experience wider swings too at the start.

the system will have to run for months while you log nitrate readings and then start seeing patterns. that should allow you leeway to tweak the snail/crab population. a more direct approach will be water changes as needed if/when you get over the target nitrate range.

OP
OP
L

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the reply makes total sense im going to give a try given it mainly going to be a qt tank more than anything
it should work in theory, but every one's system is unique. such a small system may likely experience wider swings too at the start.

the system will have to run for months while you log nitrate readings and then start seeing patterns. that should allow you leeway to tweak the snail/crab population. a more direct approach will be water changes as needed if/when you get over the target nitrate range.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back