10 Gallon Nano Reef Build

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the start of my reef build thread. I hope I'm in a proper category! I'm including prices for my own knowledge.

Purchases so far...

1/13/21 LiveAquaria.com
JBJ Rimless Desktop Aquarium 10 Gallon Flat Panel 159.99

1/13/21 Amazon
Mikro Omega Portable 3 Stage RO/DI 75 GPD Filter 125.10
LuoLeiNa Digital Water TDS Meter 10.99

1/14/21 Petco
50w Aqueon Preset Heater 19.54
Airline Hose 4.99
5 Gallon Aquarium 14.99
(to hold some live rock until tank arrives)
5 Gallon Imaginarium Ocean Water 14.99
(for live rock until RO/DI arrives)

1/14/21 Amazon
Fluval Sea CP1 Circulation Pump 29.99

1/17/21 Petco Same Day Delivery
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals 15lbs 15.99
API Saltwater Master Test Kit 23.22
Instant Ocean Hydrometer 8.99

Most of this is being shipped to me arriving Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm super excited! I'm going to order the 17lb nano special of live rock from gulfliverock.com on Tues-Wed. assuming everything ordered arrives on time.

The closest reef lfs to me other than a limited Petco and PetSmart is 90 minutes away. I will be going there to window shop tomorrow because my hubby has doctor appt there anyway. I might pick up some algae, live rock, sand or something while I'm there. That's what the 5 gallon aquarium is for.

I know I still need(want) live sand for a shallow sand bed. I also need a few 5 gallon buckets for water making and some plumbers putty for rocks.

Am I forgetting anything I need before adding shipped live rock? I don't want to have to scramble at last minute for something that I cant get at Petco or PetSmart.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an all in one tank? (AIO)
What is your plan for filtration?
Your filtration may be enough circulation but you may want to consider a nano powerhead (DOUBLE CHECK THE GPH SO YOUR FISH DONT SWIM TO DEATH... lesson I learned)

Also, a mistake I made is using a hydrometer. If you can, I'd return it and purchase a refractometer instead. They are more accurate.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some purchase updates:

1/18/21 Nebraska Aquatic Supplies
Seachem CoralCrete 8.99
Python 6" Mini Gravel Vacuum 5.99
Refractometer 24.99

1/18/21 Fish Freaks
CaribSea 5 lb Live Sand x2 17.98

1/18/21 Menards
5 Gal Food Safe Pail x 2 7.92

1/18/21 gulfliverock.com
17 lb Nano Special Premium Deco Live Rock 89.00

My tank is arriving tomorrow. I will post pictures when the gulf live rock gets here!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few additional things come to mind for the initial setup.

1) crazy glue - i find gluing rocks/frag with a "sandwich of "rock - crazy glue - epoxy - crazy glue - rock/frag" work better than just epoxy alone, especially if you are doing it underwater, which i assume is what you are doing for your rockscaping since you are using live rocks.

2) a elbow-high robber glove - live rocks may have critters or other really sharp edges from dead critter shells - you'd be surprised the number it can do to your finger/hands without a rubber glove. Will also be helpful so you don't accidentally glue your fingers to the rock as you have to hold the joints in place for a few minutes while the epoxy/crazy glue sets

3) general household stuff that i'm assuming you/your hubby's toolbox has but when i set up my first tank i realized i was short on them:
a) twisty/zipties - to make sure your wiring is organized
b) adhesive/wall mount/cable stables - a lot of the cords/plugs recommend a "drip loop" so you'll need to fasten them somewhere "raised"
c) extra surge protectors/extension cords.

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few additional things come to mind for the initial setup.

1) crazy glue - i find gluing rocks/frag with a "sandwich of "rock - crazy glue - epoxy - crazy glue - rock/frag" work better than just epoxy alone, especially if you are doing it underwater, which i assume is what you are doing for your rockscaping since you are using live rocks.

2) a elbow-high robber glove - live rocks may have critters or other really sharp edges from dead critter shells - you'd be surprised the number it can do to your finger/hands without a rubber glove. Will also be helpful so you don't accidentally glue your fingers to the rock as you have to hold the joints in place for a few minutes while the epoxy/crazy glue sets

3) general household stuff that i'm assuming you/your hubby's toolbox has but when i set up my first tank i realized i was short on them:
a) twisty/zipties - to make sure your wiring is organized
b) adhesive/wall mount/cable stables - a lot of the cords/plugs recommend a "drip loop" so you'll need to fasten them somewhere "raised"
c) extra surge protectors/extension cords.
Thank you so much! I have honestly overlooked ALL of these things but can see how I will need all of them!

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into getting a JBJ Nano ATO ($99 USD). It’s small but works great.
jbj.jpg

This is the JBJ AIO aquarium I ordered. It will fit nicely into the space I have designated for it.

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh what I mean is do you plan on refilling the tank with freshwater when there's evaporation? Or will you use an Automatic Top Off System (ATO) instead?
Oh My! You wrote ATO and I read AIO. My apologies! I am retired and am home a lot. I plan on adding my own top off water daily. This tank will be sitting on a glass door curio cabinet in the center of the living room so there is no way to hide a sump. The less equipment I have "showing" the happier I will be.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh My! You wrote ATO and I read AIO. My apologies! I am retired and am home a lot. I plan on adding my own top off water daily. This tank will be sitting on a glass door curio cabinet in the center of the living room so there is no way to hide a sump. The less equipment I have "showing" the happier I will be.

Haha all good. Makes sense.

Would like to see the progress pics when you get them. I'll keep an eye out

OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. It's been a while. I added some livestock a while back,

2 clownfish (1 didnt make it early on)

small cleanup crew (clownfish bullied all crabs until they only hid and I'm assuming starved)

huge brittle star fish

3 emerald crabs (clownfish bullied each one of these also until they starved)

dime sized red with green center bubble tip anemone (lost his bubbles)

green star polyps

pulsing xenia

Kenya tree

unknown Coral frag (gonoporia?)

2 unattached mushrooms (drug away by huge brittle star never to be seen again)

Then... life happened. My elderly mother needed round the clock care and the tank was forgotten.

The tank survived on bottled water top offs for months and my husband remembered to feed the fish. Yes, I have a RODI but it didn't get use.

Anyway... I'm starting the upkeep myself again finally, but I have a mess. There is aiptasia and several ugly algae types running amuck.

The bubble tip anemone, clownfish, starfish, unknown coral frag and green star polyps are thriving. The rest? Ehh.

I added a macro aqua M-50 HOB protein skimmer. This is for a 60 gallon tank but it seems to be working just fine other than I wish the waste was a little less watery. I get brown water from it instead of sludge but I'm still trying to fine tune it.

I am waiting for a few things I have ordered... 10 pounds live rock, new clean up crew, aiptasia x, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 2 sexy shrimp.

I did a thorough hand cleaning of the tank. I don't clean the back glass in hopes that it gets encrusted in coralline algae which is a look I like.

My clownfish is SO aggressive. I have to net him just to put my hands in the tank. He bites me over and over. It doesn't hurt but I still jerk my hand making a mess when I feel it. I'm going to try the mirror trick when I add my cuc and shrimp but if this doesn't work I think he's gonna have to go.

Wish me luck!
20220303_235219.jpg
20220303_235236.jpg
20220303_235240.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
PurplePeopleEater

PurplePeopleEater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last month I've added 10 lbs live rock from gulfliverock, a small clean up crew from reefcleaners, and today from bluezooaquatics I added a yellow watchman goby, tiger pistol shrimp, purple condy anemone, green star polyps (uItra I think, they were a free gift) and a 4 various mushroom pack.

Picture is not the best... the mushrooms are in the cup on some rubble until I can get out and get some hairnets. And there is tinfoil on the back of the aquarium because my new fish is a jumper. Caught him jumping twice already. Luckily he landed back in the tank both times.
20220323_125814.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back