0   0   0
Equipment list:
Tank - 10 gallon aqueon
Lighting - started with gen 1 orbit marine now a modified Viparspectra
Circulation - Tunze Turbelle 6040
Sump - 10 gallon aqueon
Return Pump - Eheim 1250
Skimmer - SCA 301
Heater - ViaAqua titanium heater 200w (things like 15 years old and still spot on)
Media - MarinePure spheres and live rock
Dosing - Jebao DP4 (5ml vinegar daily, 5ml kalkwasser mornings)
Salt - Reef Crystals
ATO - Tunze 3155

History of the tank:
Its had its ups and downs, started in 2017 was doing well until the thomas fire came through Ventura in december, we weren't affected but had extended power outage that I wasn't prepared for and everything died except for two nassarius snails that are still around. Tank was running but neglected until april 2018, figured one year mark was a good time to get back to it. Did first water change since that december, parameters checked out so i got one of my favorite fish a six line wrasse. I know tank is on the small side but I have pukani rock that it loves just swimming through its caves and tunnels, and is happy picking at pods all day as far as I can tell.
In July I got a couple acans, a two headed pink rainbow and single head ufo. I've always preferred sps and in september got some monti frags, birdsnest, and an acro to see how things went. Though things were encrusting they quickly lost color under the orbit so I got a viparspectra, thinking when I inevitably upgrade wont need a new light. Color is slowly coming back but growth has really taken off under this light, I took the lenses off and have it dialed down to 25blue/10white so its not overpowering my tank. I have since replaced 12 of the white leds with 2-395nm, 4-415nm, and 6-425nm trying to find just the right color for my liking.
Throughout the restart I had some green hair algae I blamed on not properly cleaning the whole thing out after sitting fallow so long. In November it started taking over and I began dosing vinegar trying to stop it. I didn't want to get totally dependent on carbon dosing so once the GHA stopped dominating everything and tips turned white I took out the sump for its first real cleaning, so much crap had built up in there I'm sure that was my issue but thought I might as well go full nuclear option and began removing my sand since it was pretty filthy by this point too. I then removed my rock and gave it a good scrubbing before banishing it to the sump and putting in new pukani I had cleaned thoroughly in preparation for the change.
20190214_115007[1].jpg

So here's my stock list as of today:
Six line wrasse
Peppermint shrimp (grabs whatever food the wrasse doesn't)
2 Nassarius snails (doing ok with bare bottom but might give them to LFS so they can have sand again)
1 Turbo snail
1 Astrea snail
Pink Rainbow Acan (started as two heads now seven)
UFO Acan (started as one head now 10-12 hard to see all but its a nice ball already)
1 Setosa Monti
1 Elkhorn Monti
1 Rainbow Monti
1 Birdsnest
1 Blue Aussie Acro

The Elkhorn and Rainbow were hardest hit by being overgrown in GHA but are showing signs of recovery, fingers crossed cause I really like the look of the Elkhorn. The Setosa and Acans are the only ones that really kept their color through a month of not enough light before my upgrade and then getting covered in GHA. Just waiting for the coraline to come back as it looks too clean for my liking right now, though I kind of prefer bare bottom at the moment I'm not completely ruling out sand again in the future or possibly some more encrusting montiporas and let them take over the glass.

Star reefer3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment list:
Tank - 10 gallon aqueon
Lighting - started with gen 1 orbit marine now a modified Viparspectra
Circulation - Tunze Turbelle 6040
Sump - 10 gallon aqueon
Return Pump - Eheim 1250
Skimmer - SCA 301
Heater - ViaAqua titanium heater 200w (things like 15 years old and still spot on)
Media - MarinePure spheres and live rock
Dosing - Jebao DP4 (5ml vinegar daily, 5ml kalkwasser mornings)
Salt - Reef Crystals
ATO - Tunze 3155

History of the tank:
Its had its ups and downs, started in 2017 was doing well until the thomas fire came through Ventura in december, we weren't affected but had extended power outage that I wasn't prepared for and everything died except for two nassarius snails that are still around. Tank was running but neglected until april 2018, figured one year mark was a good time to get back to it. Did first water change since that december, parameters checked out so i got one of my favorite fish a six line wrasse. I know tank is on the small side but I have pukani rock that it loves just swimming through its caves and tunnels, and is happy picking at pods all day as far as I can tell.
In July I got a couple acans, a two headed pink rainbow and single head ufo. I've always preferred sps and in september got some monti frags, birdsnest, and an acro to see how things went. Though things were encrusting they quickly lost color under the orbit so I got a viparspectra, thinking when I inevitably upgrade wont need a new light. Color is slowly coming back but growth has really taken off under this light, I took the lenses off and have it dialed down to 25blue/10white so its not overpowering my tank. I have since replaced 12 of the white leds with 2-395nm, 4-415nm, and 6-425nm trying to find just the right color for my liking.
Throughout the restart I had some green hair algae I blamed on not properly cleaning the whole thing out after sitting fallow so long. In November it started taking over and I began dosing vinegar trying to stop it. I didn't want to get totally dependent on carbon dosing so once the GHA stopped dominating everything and tips turned white I took out the sump for its first real cleaning, so much crap had built up in there I'm sure that was my issue but thought I might as well go full nuclear option and began removing my sand since it was pretty filthy by this point too. I then removed my rock and gave it a good scrubbing before banishing it to the sump and putting in new pukani I had cleaned thoroughly in preparation for the change.
20190214_115007[1].jpg

So here's my stock list as of today:
Six line wrasse
Peppermint shrimp (grabs whatever food the wrasse doesn't)
2 Nassarius snails (doing ok with bare bottom but might give them to LFS so they can have sand again)
1 Turbo snail
1 Astrea snail
Pink Rainbow Acan (started as two heads now seven)
UFO Acan (started as one head now 10-12 hard to see all but its a nice ball already)
1 Setosa Monti
1 Elkhorn Monti
1 Rainbow Monti
1 Birdsnest
1 Blue Aussie Acro

The Elkhorn and Rainbow were hardest hit by being overgrown in GHA but are showing signs of recovery, fingers crossed cause I really like the look of the Elkhorn. The Setosa and Acans are the only ones that really kept their color through a month of not enough light before my upgrade and then getting covered in GHA. Just waiting for the coraline to come back as it looks too clean for my liking right now, though I kind of prefer bare bottom at the moment I'm not completely ruling out sand again in the future or possibly some more encrusting montiporas and let them take over the glass.

Nice tank

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the tank loss, but looks like you are coming back strong!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back