10 or 20 gallon tank?

sebasmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater aquariums and I would like to set up my nanoreef but I don't know if I should go for a 10 or 20 gallon tank. I know a 20 gallon tank would be more stable. I will be keeping this tank while I live in my apartment by myself and studying in university.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. 20 would be my recommendation. Take it slow and research what your going to add to the tank. Give the tank plenty of time to cycle before adding hardier fish and corals. Give it time to become established (typically 6 months) before adding more sensitive things like anemones. How long both of these take will vary depending on if you use dry or live rock. If using dry rock I would double the time frame.
Get decent test kits from the start. While waiting for your tank to become established learn to keep your parameters stable. ALK being on of the more critical ones once the tank is cycled.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions here. Good luck

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what's mentioned above, usually the larger the better for a beginner. Look into Innovative Marines Nuvo line of all in one Aquariums. They are a little on the pricey side but are well built and well designed systems. Fluval and biocube are also good options to look into.

A good test kit off the start is definitely the way to go as well. Red Sea makes a really good starter kit that will get you through your cycling and beyond. Definitely do your research, there is a great search function on the home page of this site you can dig around to see if your question has been asked before (Odds are it has been), and if not feel free to ask away on the appropriate forum :) Bulk Reef Supply also has a HUGE video library that covers just about everything you could even think of asking as well. So check them out, there 52 Weeks of Reef Keeping series is a great place to start.

Oh and before I forget, welcome to R2R!!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @sebasmac

#WelcimetoR2R

Josh hit all the good points. I also just like the extra room to work with when you have to do something inside the tank.

Here‘s a good read to help and ask questions

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning bigger is more stable. Over time if you don't futz with it too much a small tank will settle in and almost run itself unless you overstock it. Realistically 10 and 20 are both pretty tiny so I would go more with the aesthetics, and the sizes of what you're wanting to put in.

OP
OP
sebasmac

sebasmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what's mentioned above, usually the larger the better for a beginner. Look into Innovative Marines Nuvo line of all in one Aquariums. They are a little on the pricey side but are well built and well designed systems. Fluval and biocube are also good options to look into.

A good test kit off the start is definitely the way to go as well. Red Sea makes a really good starter kit that will get you through your cycling and beyond. Definitely do your research, there is a great search function on the home page of this site you can dig around to see if your question has been asked before (Odds are it has been), and if not feel free to ask away on the appropriate forum :) Bulk Reef Supply also has a HUGE video library that covers just about everything you could even think of asking as well. So check them out, there 52 Weeks of Reef Keeping series is a great place to start.

Oh and before I forget, welcome to R2R!!
Thanks! Appreciate it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back