OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here’s a small update. Not too much to report. I’m thinking about going bare bottom, or very close to it. Without a skimmer and with added carbon dosing I’m getting a lot of detritus. I think positioning the power head on the floor behind the rocks will help keep that suspended quite a bit. I’m just worried about my goby/ pistol shrimp combo. Thoughts on this?

Still trying to get used to the iPhone and learning how to take some good pics. Here’s what I have for now
f865655a663d6ec054ff5dbcd2958445.jpg
c70aa8b149a7dbc7b7cfe17320e437dd.jpg
71002ce5caaa23ed77877dc8822eecaa.jpg
0ac7c577e48dc42c204d82d1fe176659.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks - for a moment I thought you were dosing bleach via the the doser! I have never dosed Traced Elements. Have you noticed a big benefit from doing so? Also please share the make and model of that frag rack! Thanks.

Nope, the bleach is just 3 drops every weekend and a double dose when changing the carbon. It’s pretty simple so I just do it by hand.

As far as trace elements goes, I like it quite a bit. I’ve noticed a difference in the depth of color that the corals have. They seem to be more vibrant. It also decreases nitrates, which is nice. Since I’m not adding trace elements via water changes, I find it particularly helpful with my reefing method.

Here’s the frag rack, Oceans Wonders N52 MAG RACK PRO MAGNETIC CORAL FRAG RACK HOLDS UP TO 30 FRAG PLUGS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W59DD9H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ve0TAb20AYM1E
It’s a little expensive but works great!

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here’s a few pics for an update. Since my last one I’ve added a piece of live rock and a few more corals. SPS are encrusting and growing and I’m happy with my little experiment so far. I haven’t done a water change in months and I’ve been sticking to the bleach schedule.

I can say this is by far the easiest way I’ve kept a tank and grown SPS to date. The tank has an ATO, dosing pump, and is on a feeder. My only chores are simple... Once a week I clean the glass, rinse filter socks, and dose bleach. I change carbon bi-weekly. That’s it!

At what point can you say that this experiment is successful? Well, short term I’d call it a success. I haven’t had the tank up long enough to draw any long term conclusions.

I’m confident enough in the method to upgrade though! I’ll be setting up an Innovative Marine SR-80 gallon tank and swapping over livestock this summer.

Any new thoughts or comments on the bleach, no skimmer, or no water changes? I’m interested to see if anyone has changed their mind or has any questions.

a45c3774254057a7a994b62aea51bdad.jpg
60a6009911c1f331f7bb47da1539f292.jpg
fcf6fa316a9890ff7700a7f7426f0f13.jpg
9d14d71ca0445a81b14e1dab806acbd0.jpg
6c6d56e08710dc0d586736e8f5a49303.jpg

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you were local, id love to buy the old tank off ya

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you planning to go skimmer less on the new tank as well? Yours is the first tank I have seen to carbon dose and not use a skimmer.

Yea, no skimmer and no water changes at all. Only bleach dosing and filter socks. I’m interested to see what happens on a larger scale.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious why not automate the bleach dosing ? Is that a technical limitation of the dosing system? Or just something not worth automating at this point. What changes you plan to do with the bigger tank ?

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am curious why not automate the bleach dosing ? Is that a technical limitation of the dosing system? Or just something not worth automating at this point. What changes you plan to do with the bigger tank ?

I could definitely automate the bleach dosing, but as of now it’s just not worth it. It’s only 3 drops (1 per gallon) every Sunday for me. Every other week I dose, change carbon, then dose again. Very simple.

Not too many changes planned for the larger tank. I will still be doing the same dosing and using the same equipment for that. I’ll be changing out the light to a larger Maxspect Razor (love them) and adding a gyre. Besides that, I plan on doing just a very thin sand bed this time. More for aesthetics than anything else.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could definitely automate the bleach dosing, but as of now it’s just not worth it. It’s only 3 drops (1 per gallon) every Sunday for me. Every other week I dose, change carbon, then dose again. Very simple.

Not too many changes planned for the larger tank. I will still be doing the same dosing and using the same equipment for that. I’ll be changing out the light to a larger Maxspect Razor (love them) and adding a gyre. Besides that, I plan on doing just a very thin sand bed this time. More for aesthetics than anything else.
Got it. I am curious what will happen if you dilute the bleach to increase the volume but keeping the actual amount same, and then dose it by spreading it out through the week. Ideally it should be better for the tank, since its more gradual changes.
None the less, if its not worth it, then its not worth it :) . Tank looks awesome, and thats what matter

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got it. I am curious what will happen if you dilute the bleach to increase the volume but keeping the actual amount same, and then dose it by spreading it out through the week. Ideally it should be better for the tank, since its more gradual changes.
None the less, if its not worth it, then its not worth it :) . Tank looks awesome, and thats what matter

I see what you’re saying... I agree. Stability is key and what I strive for in my tanks. I know that some additives (such as Trace Elements) should be dosed in the full amount 1x daily, vs something like alkalinity that is spread out across the morning for me. I wonder if the dosing regimen for bleach has any effect on its efficacy?

One of my dosing heads is unused anyway so I might try it out. It’d have to be a very large dilution but it may be doable. I’ll run it by Bob Stark and see if he’s tried it already. Thanks for the input and the compliment!

joelbegt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty amazing looking low maintenance setup!

Just for some clarification... on a 25 gallon you dose 3 drops once a week, change carbon out every other week, and do a double dose on those days? How much carbon are you running?

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 drop per gallon????
so wouldn't that be 25 drops???
or are you meening 1 per 10 gal??
just wondering :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back