100% Aquaculture, Bare Bones SPS Lagoon

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello all, I recently moved for school and of course had to set up a nano tank while I'm out here. This time around I decided to do a bit of an experiment instead of your standard build.

1. Everything in the tank will be aquacultured. Rock, fish and coral will all come from aquaculture sources.
2. I also plan to be away from the tank for some time, so water changes won't be possible. I'm going no skimmer, no water changes, no fuge, no gfo, only dosing and carbon.
3. I'm going to be dosing bleach

For better or for worse, I think it will be an interesting approach and hopefully you can follow my progress!

Equipment list so far:
Nuvo Fusion 25 gallon Lagoon and stand
160 watt Maxspect Razor
Coral Box wifi dosing pump and container
Smart ATO
ESV salt, part 1 and 2, strontium choride and potassium iodide, and T.E. plus
Bleach!

Pics to come

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
7500934ec454b8ffc7490a8c181bd7af.jpg

Supplies have arrived!

645779a53381a1611018457a3b5c3b30.jpg

After about 3 hours of assembling the stand.

c2f47b7331a98385d27606fa18879763.jpg

For no water changes, I overdid it on the ESV by a little. I should have enough for.... forever.

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The idea is that it diminishes the count of bacteria in the water column but doesn't kill them all. The theory is it preferentially kills gram negative bacteria which pretty much makes up most of the coral pathogenic types.

In short, it should help clear detritus slightly and prevent bacteria that are involved with RTN. Bob Stark has proven this concept with his mixed reef, I'd like to apply it to a SPS focused tank and see what happens.

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would be afraid it would wipe out my entire bacteria colony and would cause an ammonia spike.
Ozone and UV sterilization work in a similar way and are considered tried and true methods. The difference is that these methods aren't selective to gram negative bacteria. They are constantly killing whatever is exposed to them vs a few drops of bleach a week.

If anything I'd guess that the bleach kills less total bacteria than compared to constantly running UV or ozone.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that it diminishes the count of bacteria in the water column but doesn't kill them all. The theory is it preferentially kills gram negative bacteria which pretty much makes up most of the coral pathogenic types.

In short, it should help clear detritus slightly and prevent bacteria that are involved with RTN. Bob Stark has proven this concept with his mixed reef, I'd like to apply it to a SPS focused tank and see what happens.
Very interesting. I can't say I've seen this written up anywhere other than to combat dinoflagellates. I have a tank that is actually relatively similar in concept to yours and I have been hit hard by dinoflagellates myself. Even though I know your aim is not to combat them I'm curious what your dosing regimen will be and how you will implement it to avoid an overdose.

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very interesting. I can't say I've seen this written up anywhere other than to combat dinoflagellates. I have a tank that is actually relatively similar in concept to yours and I have been hit hard by dinoflagellates myself. Even though I know your aim is not to combat them I'm curious what your dosing regimen will be and how you will implement it to avoid an overdose.

Dosing regiment is 1 drop per gallon per week. I change carbon every other week. On carbon change days I dose the bleach, change carbon, then immediately dose again.

As far as tank progress, I'm still waiting for the ATO, sand, and light. I'll post the dosing setup soon!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along for a few reasons.
1. I like the footprint of the IM 25 lagoon
2. interested in the bleach dosing
3. I saw your icecap ATO. That is the most silent ATO ever, right?
4. I'm considering switching to ESV from BRS

Looking forward to see your progress!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back