stability = success
Larger the tank, more water volume go with the 100

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Reef tanks are expensive. If you are sure you are all in or are not on a budget, go for the larger tank. If you are someone who gets bored fast and moves onto new things, then maybe start with the nano and see if you get hooked or not.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger the better! Started with a 95g wave, wish I doubled or tripled the size as I am all out of room for coral!

Welcome to R2R and happy reefing!

giphy.gif

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along to see what you decide and hopefully watch the progress.

I actually have a 100 gallon myself, looks to be identical to your tank. I got it all set up, plumbed, and filled with water just to decide to put it on hold for now. Long story short, I need to redo the flooring in the house but have some family staying with me for the time being and will wait until they move out and redo all the floors at the same time. The more I thought about it, I couldn't bring myself to get it all running, established, and start having everything grow in just to have to break it all down and move it later.

I have had several tanks set up off and on in the past and just decided to fill the void for the time being with a Biocube. I had a Biocube in the past and always liked those tanks, so I just decided to set it up hoping it won't be as bad to move at a later date.

Everybody has pretty much covered it all at this time as far as the pros and cons of each size. Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
dynastyreefs

dynastyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger the better! Started with a 95g wave, wish I doubled or tripled the size as I am all out of room for coral!

Welcome to R2R and happy reefing!

giphy.gif
I’m already looking at 250+ and I haven’t even put coral or fish in my 100g yet..

OP
OP
dynastyreefs

dynastyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along to see what you decide and hopefully watch the progress.

I actually have a 100 gallon myself, looks to be identical to your tank. I got it all set up, plumbed, and filled with water just to decide to put it on hold for now. Long story short, I need to redo the flooring in the house but have some family staying with me for the time being and will wait until they move out and redo all the floors at the same time. The more I thought about it, I couldn't bring myself to get it all running, established, and start having everything grow in just to have to break it all down and move it later.

I have had several tanks set up off and on in the past and just decided to fill the void for the time being with a Biocube. I had a Biocube in the past and always liked those tanks, so I just decided to set it up hoping it won't be as bad to move at a later date.

Everybody has pretty much covered it all at this time as far as the pros and cons of each size. Good luck with your decision.
Yes I went with the 100 gallon I will post pictures when I start putting live stock in

SirHealsALot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first ever reef tank I already have a 100 gallon tank that is in the works but also debating on getting a nano and trying that first. Should I just start with the 100 or start off smaller

859EFE99-7E1D-42F6-9347-E77499F97A47.jpeg
Usually they say to go as big as you can afford. Again this isn't always feasible for everyone but after my 2 years of reefing, i agree, go as big as you can since you'll always want that extra piece of coral or nem or fish and you don't wanna feel limited.

Back