1000 gallon tank for a beginner!

This past week I began cycling the tank. I had ordered 32 oz of the Fritz Turbo Start 900. I figured it would come in a large bottle.

20241111_201741.jpg


I poured these little guys in the tank and sump and let it sit for a bit before starting the pumps back up. I poured some ammonia in for a food source and now the wait is on. I have an ICP kit here at home and once things are cycled I plan to send off a sample to ensure there's nothing crazy in the tank from the surrounding walls of mortar and rock that would be detrimental to corals and if not will be looking at ordering the lights. That's going to be a big ticket item so I want to ensure the ICP looks ok first.

In the meantime I worked on tidying up my wiring with some added cable raceways.

20241115_171101.jpg


The ATO system is set up. I am using the Avast Parrot ATO hooked up to my Hydros controller which then controls a motorized ball valve attached to the bottom of my 30-gallon reservoir for filling the sump. I have it barely filled as I am testing it out to ensure it works properly.

I also added a fire tablet on the wall for my Hydros system along with a cute little AI-made screensaver of a clownfish swimming.

20241116_173836.jpg

20241116_233922.jpg


I've been kind of moving slowly as I am sort of waiting for the ugly phase to kick in. The tank stays dark for the most part; except for when I am in the fish room working on things. I'd like to order CUC to begin quarantining them but I'm not sure when to expect algae to begin showing up for them as a food source. I wouldn't want to have them ready to go and still have them sitting in the QT just so I can more easily feed them.

In the same manner, it's probably time to begin thinking about a stocking list. I've been so busy with lists of things that needed to get done for the tank that I've not really thought about what I want to put in it. Would love to hear some ideas!
 
This past week I began cycling the tank. I had ordered 32 oz of the Fritz Turbo Start 900. I figured it would come in a large bottle.

20241111_201741.jpg


I poured these little guys in the tank and sump and let it sit for a bit before starting the pumps back up. I poured some ammonia in for a food source and now the wait is on. I have an ICP kit here at home and once things are cycled I plan to send off a sample to ensure there's nothing crazy in the tank from the surrounding walls of mortar and rock that would be detrimental to corals and if not will be looking at ordering the lights. That's going to be a big ticket item so I want to ensure the ICP looks ok first.

In the meantime I worked on tidying up my wiring with some added cable raceways.

20241115_171101.jpg


The ATO system is set up. I am using the Avast Parrot ATO hooked up to my Hydros controller which then controls a motorized ball valve attached to the bottom of my 30-gallon reservoir for filling the sump. I have it barely filled as I am testing it out to ensure it works properly.

I also added a fire tablet on the wall for my Hydros system along with a cute little AI-made screensaver of a clownfish swimming.

20241116_173836.jpg

20241116_233922.jpg


I've been kind of moving slowly as I am sort of waiting for the ugly phase to kick in. The tank stays dark for the most part; except for when I am in the fish room working on things. I'd like to order CUC to begin quarantining them but I'm not sure when to expect algae to begin showing up for them as a food source. I wouldn't want to have them ready to go and still have them sitting in the QT just so I can more easily feed them.

In the same manner, it's probably time to begin thinking about a stocking list. I've been so busy with lists of things that needed to get done for the tank that I've not really thought about what I want to put in it. Would love to hear some ideas!
Your plumbing and wires are so organized!
 
I can't with the cat lol. Every time it gets me.
I honestly forget I have it until I get on my laptop or computer, and it cracks me up every time I see it.
 
This past week I began cycling the tank. I had ordered 32 oz of the Fritz Turbo Start 900. I figured it would come in a large bottle.

20241111_201741.jpg


I poured these little guys in the tank and sump and let it sit for a bit before starting the pumps back up. I poured some ammonia in for a food source and now the wait is on. I have an ICP kit here at home and once things are cycled I plan to send off a sample to ensure there's nothing crazy in the tank from the surrounding walls of mortar and rock that would be detrimental to corals and if not will be looking at ordering the lights. That's going to be a big ticket item so I want to ensure the ICP looks ok first.

In the meantime I worked on tidying up my wiring with some added cable raceways.

20241115_171101.jpg


The ATO system is set up. I am using the Avast Parrot ATO hooked up to my Hydros controller which then controls a motorized ball valve attached to the bottom of my 30-gallon reservoir for filling the sump. I have it barely filled as I am testing it out to ensure it works properly.

I also added a fire tablet on the wall for my Hydros system along with a cute little AI-made screensaver of a clownfish swimming.

20241116_173836.jpg

20241116_233922.jpg


I've been kind of moving slowly as I am sort of waiting for the ugly phase to kick in. The tank stays dark for the most part; except for when I am in the fish room working on things. I'd like to order CUC to begin quarantining them but I'm not sure when to expect algae to begin showing up for them as a food source. I wouldn't want to have them ready to go and still have them sitting in the QT just so I can more easily feed them.

In the same manner, it's probably time to begin thinking about a stocking list. I've been so busy with lists of things that needed to get done for the tank that I've not really thought about what I want to put in it. Would love to hear some ideas!


I LOVE IT! I started with a Honeycomb Storage Wall for all my foods and tools, and then Mulitboard came out. I ended up covering the inside of my stand and mount points for HYDROS. I highly recommend it as a quickly growing lattice solution. Then, a creator named Kate came out with Underware Wire Management for Multiboard. It's worth looking into!
 

Attachments

  • 20240207_171743.jpg
    20240207_171743.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 1000009038.jpg
    1000009038.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 1000009046.jpg
    1000009046.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 172
You are on a whole different level. This is an impressive build and I'm excited you're sharing the journey here! Now I need to go redo my wiring...
 
I can’t read it right now so I book marked it. When I do read it, I hope there is mention of a YouTube channel. Would be an incredible journey to watch.
 
This past week I began cycling the tank. I had ordered 32 oz of the Fritz Turbo Start 900. I figured it would come in a large bottle.

20241111_201741.jpg


I poured these little guys in the tank and sump and let it sit for a bit before starting the pumps back up. I poured some ammonia in for a food source and now the wait is on. I have an ICP kit here at home and once things are cycled I plan to send off a sample to ensure there's nothing crazy in the tank from the surrounding walls of mortar and rock that would be detrimental to corals and if not will be looking at ordering the lights. That's going to be a big ticket item so I want to ensure the ICP looks ok first.

In the meantime I worked on tidying up my wiring with some added cable raceways.

20241115_171101.jpg


The ATO system is set up. I am using the Avast Parrot ATO hooked up to my Hydros controller which then controls a motorized ball valve attached to the bottom of my 30-gallon reservoir for filling the sump. I have it barely filled as I am testing it out to ensure it works properly.

I also added a fire tablet on the wall for my Hydros system along with a cute little AI-made screensaver of a clownfish swimming.

20241116_173836.jpg

20241116_233922.jpg


I've been kind of moving slowly as I am sort of waiting for the ugly phase to kick in. The tank stays dark for the most part; except for when I am in the fish room working on things. I'd like to order CUC to begin quarantining them but I'm not sure when to expect algae to begin showing up for them as a food source. I wouldn't want to have them ready to go and still have them sitting in the QT just so I can more easily feed them.

In the same manner, it's probably time to begin thinking about a stocking list. I've been so busy with lists of things that needed to get done for the tank that I've not really thought about what I want to put in it. Would love to hear some ideas!
I don't think there's much need to pre-order your CUC. You already seem to have patience, and when you start to see algae, i think the longest you'd have to wait might be 4 days? But if you saw algae Monday morning and ordered a CUC same day, it would probably ship Tuesday for Wednesday delivery.
 
Wow! Just read this thread! I too purchased a house and acquired a tank though not as large as yours. Mine is a ~675 gallon. My tank is 8 feet L x 4 feet H, and 3 feet D. Will be following along! Great job!!!
 
Looks like I need some of that purchase a house with a giant tank money going around. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 
I am the lucky owner of a 1000 gallon in-wall aquarium through the purchase of its house and for the past 6 years have been running a large frontosa freshwater tank. Unfortunately during a recent and significant winter snap in the south I lost all of my fish (and learned that I need more automation to prevent such an incident again). I am currently in the process of completely breaking down everything for a deep clean, and it seemed an appropriate time to consider transitioning to a saltwater tank.

About me: I have only ever cared for 1 aquarium in my lifetime, this 1000 gallon one. No prior experience before jumping headfirst into it. It was an empty eyesore that I turned into something I was quite proud of. When I first began I, rightfully so, deemed a saltwater tank too complicated for an absolute beginner to jump into at such a large scale. But with plenty of time and research my first tank was a success. In some ways the large tank may have made things easier as there were no quick swings in water parameters at such a large volume. I understand that changing to saltwater is much more complex compared to the tank I have been running.

I am hoping that with plenty of time and planning I can create another successful tank. I expect the planning stage to take months to gather the appropriate materials and gear and to spread out the cost of doing so over time. By posting here I am hoping to receive advice that will help move this in the proper direction. I also have a lot of material and gear that cannot be reused but I am hoping some may be.

The tank:

zkGE9MF.jpg


WapLXCp.jpg

The acrylic is 1.25 inches thick and measures 8 feet long x 4 feet deep x 5 feet high. Three overflow weirs empty down the back of tank with three returns drilled into the bottom of each (one 2-inch and two ¾ inch pipes). Two 2-inch return pipes feed water back to the tank which empties into the top of the aquarium.

The tank is accessible through an aquarium maintenance room behind it. Unfortunately space is pretty tight in there. I have about 26.5" x 25.5" of room to the side of the tank. I have looked at adding a sump below the main tank but the supporting beams would prevent placing anything of significant size under it and there is very little room to crawl under there to service it anyways. There is hot and cold water plumbed to the maintenance room in the form of a laundry washer hook up and there is a drain on the floor as well.

kl86MEO.jpg

2VZmm3w.jpg


For filtration, I currently have a 50-gallon drum acting as a DIY sump. It normally sits half-full with the remainder of the space available for overflow should I lose power or need to turn off the pumps. It is plumbed to empty into the floor drain in a controlled manner. For mechanical filtration the water passes through a 5-gallon bucket-sized pain strainer mesh disposable bags and then into quilt batting. The water is then pumped through an Ultima 1000 filter for biological filtration and then back to the tank. I’m not sure that the stand-alone ultima filter is even compatible with salt water and may have to go.

WtfAdlu.jpg


Is there anything with my freshwater filtration system that can remain or does it need a complete overhaul? The relatively tight space here makes it a little tough to design around.

I have space along the backwall of my maintenance room where I typically house two small quarantine tanks. I suppose I could take that space and place your typical sump there instead and plumb it back to the main tank from there. I would just lose my quarantine tanks.

I currently have the incoming water passing through a 2-stage filter and know I will have to add on or convert to RO/DI.
Uwf9GnC.jpg


Thanks for reading. As I said above, I am currently in the process of breaking down the aquarium to clean it up. The current sand and rockwork has to go in place for salt-water appropriate replacements. I know a lot of planning will be required to convert such a large tank to the more complex salt water but I am excited at the prospect of doing so. I look forward to some good advice. Thank you.
It's nice to see that you are considering saltwater, you have to remember saltwater fish are 3 to 4 times higher than freshwater, and than there are coral colonies have tripled in price the last 4 years, and people are selling small frags at ridiculous prices, and you need more equipment, and a lot more testing, for it's a hole new ball game, but the good side is that you are here now and there is a lot of members that will help you out, and you will need it, myself I cannot get enough of saltwater fish and corals, and that might happen to you.
 
Just a quick update:
I'm about a month in since adding bacteria and beginning the cycle. The ammonia at 2ppm clears within 24 hours. Nitrites clear a little bit slower. I consider it cycled at this point. I continue to keep the lights off for now and the protein skimmer running. Coppersafe and prazipro should arrive this week. Although I'm ready to order fish and begin quarantining I will be waiting til after the holidays. Currently FedEx likes to keep my packages on their truck for 3 days before actually delivering them. Still not sure what to start with first as far as stocking goes!
 
Just a quick update:
I'm about a month in since adding bacteria and beginning the cycle. The ammonia at 2ppm clears within 24 hours. Nitrites clear a little bit slower. I consider it cycled at this point. I continue to keep the lights off for now and the protein skimmer running. Coppersafe and prazipro should arrive this week. Although I'm ready to order fish and begin quarantining I will be waiting til after the holidays. Currently FedEx likes to keep my packages on their truck for 3 days before actually delivering them. Still not sure what to start with first as far as stocking goes!
YAY!!!
start with a singular clown.........
anything that peaks your interest is what I recommend!!
 
Just a quick update:
I'm about a month in since adding bacteria and beginning the cycle. The ammonia at 2ppm clears within 24 hours. Nitrites clear a little bit slower. I consider it cycled at this point. I continue to keep the lights off for now and the protein skimmer running. Coppersafe and prazipro should arrive this week. Although I'm ready to order fish and begin quarantining I will be waiting til after the holidays. Currently FedEx likes to keep my packages on their truck for 3 days before actually delivering them. Still not sure what to start with first as far as stocking goes!
Yeah, everybody starts with clowns, myself included. They are hardy, easy to find, and a great first fish. They are also pretty fish and usually a ton of fun. My first fish is a bonded pair of clowns that will be here on Thursday.

Scratch that, I forgot I bought a neo dottyback local this weekend lol. I was planning on making the clowns first and then found out about a local store opening a couple of weeks ago.
 
Just a quick update:
I'm about a month in since adding bacteria and beginning the cycle. The ammonia at 2ppm clears within 24 hours. Nitrites clear a little bit slower. I consider it cycled at this point. I continue to keep the lights off for now and the protein skimmer running. Coppersafe and prazipro should arrive this week. Although I'm ready to order fish and begin quarantining I will be waiting til after the holidays. Currently FedEx likes to keep my packages on their truck for 3 days before actually delivering them. Still not sure what to start with first as far as stocking goes!
Do you have an idea of what you want? If so go with the least aggressive and let them get established first. Maybe while awaiting your fish you can add some pods and phyto. Reef by steel and Dinkins have great products. I am not going to say these were the success to having no ugly stage in my dry rock reef but I am sure they didnt hurt. I gave them a few weeks to establish before adding anything known to eat them aside from corals.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new