100gal stocking list input appreciated

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. its another 100gal stocking list. Sorry it's not exciting breaking news like clean chaeto in stock or some thing :p

100gal 4ft DT 35gal sump mixed reef mostly soft, sand bottom, negative scape with plenty of swimming room and still lots of caves and overhangs for habitat
  1. Rhomboid Wrasse
  2. Bella Goby pair
  3. Bimaculatus Anthias pair
  4. Yellow Tang (from old tank...calm down narcs lol)
  5. Banggai Cardinal (from old tank)
  6. Clowns pair (from old tank)
Thoughts. Advice. Opinions. Really my only hesitation are the anthias. Thank you for any input!

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. its another 100gal stocking list. Sorry it's not exciting breaking news like clean chaeto in stock or some thing :p

100gal 4ft DT 35gal sump mixed reef mostly soft, sand bottom, negative scape with plenty of swimming room and still lots of caves and overhangs for habitat
  1. Rhomboid Wrasse
  2. Bella Goby pair
  3. Bimaculatus Anthias pair
  4. Yellow Tang (from old tank...calm down narcs lol)
  5. Banggai Cardinal (from old tank)
  6. Clowns pair (from old tank)
Thoughts. Advice. Opinions. Really my only hesitation are the anthias. Thank you for any input!
Sweet! May be able to add something like a dwarf angel or dart fish

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m excited. Dry rock has been cycling for a couple months now. So you don’t see any issues with that list?

I do love fire fish!
I don’t see any issues, except as you probably already know anthias eat 3 times a day, so if you’re at work most of the day an automatic feeder may help. Excited to see it!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Rhomboid Wrasse- Nice! Hope you can find one.

2. Bella Goby pair- Sand sifters that often starve to death. You can try but IMO I’d go with a shrimp and goby combo.

3. Bimaculatus Anthias pair- Great. Maybe try getting 2 females and see if one turns male.

4. Yellow Tang- IMO if your 100 was a 5ft tank I’d be less hesitant, and I wouldn’t be hesitant putting a smaller Bristletooth Tang in your tank, but you might be able to get away with it lol as I know a guy with a 16-year old YT in a 90. I’ve done surveys and usually the smaller Zebrasoma seem to top out at 5-6”, maybe 7” for some specimens or 8” for some big ones.

5. Bangaii Cardinal- Amen.

6. Clownfish pair- Amen.

You could totally add a dwarf angel, some smaller fish like basslets, maybe some other wrasses, Midas Blenny, Chalk Bass, Roaps subgenus butterfly (Burgess, Mitratus), Chrysiptera damsels etc.

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Rhomboid Wrasse- Nice! Hope you can find one.

2. Bella Goby pair- Sand sifters that often starve to death. You can try but IMO I’d go with a shrimp and goby combo.

3. Bimaculatus Anthias pair- Great. Maybe try getting 2 females and see if one turns male.

4. Yellow Tang- IMO if your 100 was a 5ft tank I’d be less hesitant, and I wouldn’t be hesitant putting a smaller Bristletooth Tang in your tank, but you might be able to get away with it lol as I know a guy with a 16-year old YT in a 90. I’ve done surveys and usually the smaller Zebrasoma seem to top out at 5-6”, maybe 7” for some specimens or 8” for some big ones.

5. Bangaii Cardinal- Amen.

6. Clownfish pair- Amen.

You could totally add a dwarf angel, some smaller fish like basslets, maybe some other wrasses, Midas Blenny, Chalk Bass, Roaps subgenus butterfly (Burgess, Mitratus), Chrysiptera damsels etc.
Thanks for the in depth response! Really appreciate your time. I already have the rhomboid wrasse on order with an extremely reputable site so not a problem.

I’ve had shrimp and goby combo which I absolutely loved but I’m wanting a utilitarian goby that sifts the sand. I’ve kept gobies alive for 10+Yrs (just add some pellet food to the sand bed and get them eating frozen. they’ll do just fine)

The anthias I’m getting are a female and male pair that’s been together for a bit

hopefully the yellow tang continues being a model citizen and doesn’t find a 100gal tank to small as it grows. If it does I’ll have to figure some thing out. Fingers crossed!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok if you have experience then go for it! Which gobies have you kept for 10+ years? Amazing how long some of these smaller fish can live.

Anthias- Awesome!

And yeah hopefully the Yellow Tang will work out. If it doesn’t exceed 5-5.5 inches then that’s the best.

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok if you have experience then go for it! Which gobies have you kept for 10+ years? Amazing how long some of these smaller fish can live.

Anthias- Awesome!

And yeah hopefully the Yellow Tang will work out. If it doesn’t exceed 5-5.5 inches then that’s the best.
Had a yellow watchman goby for 12yrs. Miss that grumpy face.

And a diamond watchman goby for 7yrs

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fish list. My only caution would be going with 2 Anthias. In my experience, you will probably start out with two females and they will be good citizens. Then one will turn male and he will get bossy with the female, but leave your other fish alone. As the male matures, he may become more territorial and turn into a jerk.
I had a this problem in my 4’ tank over the course of about 2 years. In the end, I wish I had started with a three or four anthias so the aggression would have been dispersed over more females instead of my other tank mates. I ended up separating the pair :(

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bimacs are one of the more robust anthias and do not need feeding 3-4 times per day, a couple of times with high protein food will suffice.
I have also found they are one of the more laid back members of the family and I have seen very little damaging aggression, OK you get handbags and some chasing within species but what do you expect from a genera that uses dominance to maintain a hierarchy.

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bimacs are one of the more robust anthias and do not need feeding 3-4 times per day, a couple of times with high protein food will suffice.
I have also found they are one of the more laid back members of the family and I have seen very little damaging aggression, OK you get handbags and some chasing within species but what do you expect from a genera that uses dominance to maintain a hierarchy.
Oh okay good to know about the feeding. Thanks. Glad to hear they’re overall pretty chill. And of course there’s always the exception

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fish list. My only caution would be going with 2 Anthias. In my experience, you will probably start out with two females and they will be good citizens. Then one will turn male and he will get bossy with the female, but leave your other fish alone. As the male matures, he may become more territorial and turn into a jerk.
I had a this problem in my 4’ tank over the course of about 2 years. In the end, I wish I had started with a three or four anthias so the aggression would have been dispersed over more females instead of my other tank mates. I ended up separating the pair :(
I really wanted a trio for the exact reasons you mentioned but where I am ordering them from was only offering a male and female pair. Do you think it would be safe to add another female at a later time or should I really try and get that second female now and introduce them together?

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say it makes a notable difference in coloration? Regardless I am a big fan of pairing fish when the species allows for it. So ill most likely take you up on your suggestion =]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back