1099 tax rules

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we are fast approach the end of the year, it means it's 1099 time. For all hobbyist and vendors who buy and sell corals, be aware that paypal, venmo, and other online payment solutions will be sending out 1099-Ks's if you receive more than $600 in payments. I was reading an article the other day that this is one of the areas the IRS expects that their new 87,000 agents will be focusing on.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also write 1099 expenses, and there is a lot of expenses to grow that $50 frag you sold. if you smart you can write off all of that.
I will be writing up a full posting about the tax rammifcaitons of selling corals. I do this every year and provide people some information. Ultimately, what you can write off is dependant upon if this is a hobby or a business. If you are a hobby, you can write off direct expenses (postage, shipping container and how much you paid for the coral). If you are a trade or business (overly simplistically stated as spending more than 750 hours a year on the business), you can write off direct costs as well as indirect (salt, electricity, mortgage, equiptment). Again..i will write up a better article on this later in the year.

I wonder if I will get an article contributor badge?

Last edited:

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vegan Vegetables GIF

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is nothing new. It's been around for 3-4 years. I remember when everybody who sold on ebay etc... were having fits about it long before 2020. It's just never really been enforced. I don't think they will waste much time on the lower end of the spectrum. Although I will say as a business owner who does the right thing and pays taxes it's about time there was a crackdown. There are full blown businesses being ran through e commerce who pretend they are weekend warriors cheating us all. I run across it in my own profession. Unlicensed and uninsured businesses everywhere. Those are the ones who this will primarily be targeting.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to it. At least in my field all kinds of businesses started using cash app Venmo etc.. to take payments as a way to avoid transaction fees and taxes by thinking they could take payments under a personal name instead of their DBA. This has been a long time coming.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back