10ft Rule question

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at day 15 of therapeutic copper treatment and wanted to clarify something regarding the 10ft rule. I have another tank about 4ft away that has been empty during the whole treatment. If i sterilize the tank and get it ready today is there anyway it could've been infected by ich or velvet?

I understand the rule is because the copper will not kill the ich that falls off the fish and then a cyst could aerosol into the nearby tank but if that tank was dry the entire time the fish were dropping spores ( thats a max of 7days for ich if i remember correctly) then i don't see how it could be infected. I was even thinking of filling the new tank with 2ppm of copper just to cover all my bases while I bleach and reset the dirty QT and only drop the copper after that. One of them is showing a signs of a bacterial infection so i dont want to leave him in there for the full 30 days.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ick is a parasitic sickness fish get if it were to aerosol you would be torching it to turn it to vapor/ killing it. coper is a metal if coper was in the air I would be concerned and copper melts at 1900 degree F so I do not think its in the air unless it is a fine powder being blown around. did you get any of the water in that tank?

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ick is a parasitic sickness fish get if it were to aerosol you would be torching it to turn it to vapor/ killing it. coper is a metal if coper was in the air I would be concerned and copper melts at 1900 degree F so I do not think its in the air unless it is a fine powder being blown around. did you get any of the water in that tank?
It's not the parasite alone that aerosolized. It is the water that aerosolizes, possibly carrying the parasite with it.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the parasite alone that aerosolized. It is the water that aerosolizes, possibly carrying the parasite with it.
guess I am just confuse as to how it would travel in water vapor. that's like saying u can get aids from breathing. sorry but i think this is getting consufed with splashed water witch is more probable.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why call the reef squad about "possible disinformation" when you can just google it?

Anyways, here is some info on aerial transmission. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aerosol-transmission.190292/

There are other studies online that confirm it. If you dont have the space then I would just put a lid on the QT tank.
I use to use foam blocks and air stones in qt and I stopped given the above info.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited:

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess I am just confuse as to how it would travel in water vapor. that's like saying u can get aids from breathing. sorry but i think this is getting consufed with splashed water witch is more probable.
Not even close to the same thing.

Yes, splashing is one way to aerosolize water. Using an airstone would be another way.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not even close to the same thing.

Yes, splashing is one way to aerosolize water. Using an airstone would be another way.
That's what I got from reading humblefish's post.
Splashing from air bubbles breaking on the waters surface.
I don't know about anyone else, but on my quarantine tank I keep a glass lid to keep the jumpers from escaping.
Seems like it would be effective for the bubbles thing.
When I've used multiple quarantine tanks, I've always kept them 4'-5' apart just because of cross contamination from drips from nets or water containers ( adding food).
IDK, I think the word aerosolized is over and miss used in several of today's discussions.

OP
OP
R

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A glass cover isn't an option here in Florida at least in the garage as the fan is the only thing keeps temperatures in range.

I was mainly questioning what stage of the ich could be airborn via air bubbles as reported. I didn't really understand how it could be a concern if copper is killing the free swimming trophonts stage instantly. I figured it must be the tomonts i would be scared of but just wanted to confirm that after the first 7 days of them falling off nothing new would be in the water to be aerosol-ed.

OP
OP
R

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why call the reef squad about "possible disinformation" when you can just google it?

Anyways, here is some info on aerial transmission. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aerosol-transmission.190292/

There are other studies online that confirm it. If you dont have the space then I would just put a lid on the QT tank.
I use to use foam blocks and air stones in qt and I stopped given the above info.

Hope this is helpful

Sorry if i wasnt clear. I couldnt figure out what stage of the ich was the concern for transmission. If it was only the free swimming stage then after copper is up to strength then aerosol transmission shouldn't be an issue anymore. Hence if the next tank is set up after that point it should be clear of that issue.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people have irrational fears here..... Lionfish, airborne ich, killer palys, electrocution......

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about ich but lots of things such as bacteria can aerosol and spread great distances from source.. As far as your question, If you are going to sterilize tank you shouldn’t have any concerns at all with ich or velvet.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 quarantine tanks going at one time. All were within 7 feet or less or less from each other. My sterilized tanks were kept about 3 feet from them. Had no issues *Knock on wood*. I think aerosol transmission is possible, but I think it is very rare. If you have the space, then follow the 10 feet rule if you want to. If not, I'm sure it will be ok. I could have had them 10 feet away if I put some tanks upstairs, but too much of a hassle for me. Depends on your paranoia level I guess. The fish I had in QT were from lfs, no signs of any disease. If I had fish that were confirmed with a disease, I'd probably take extra steps and follow the 10 feet rule.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back