OP
Bryces

Bryces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the LED setup your doing and can't wait to see it being built.

Ok so the led setup. Because it's the life blood of my tank and I feel like if you're gonna break the budget somewhere it's best to do it here. So my light isn't exactly "budget" but compared to production models with similar capabilities it's pretty easy on the wallet. The design is still coming together as I weigh cost vs want and need. Can I justify the cost increase for this with actual benefit or is it just cool so want it. So far I know for sure are I'll be using a makers extruded aluminum heat sink for the body. It meets all my needs in a heatsink and I love the way it looks. I know for sure my primary leds are going to be Cree XT-E royal blue driven at 1000ma, Cree XT-E white 4500k 1000ma, and Cree XP-E2 blue 1000ma. I haven't settled on the number yet but I'm thinking either 12 royal blue, 6 white and 1 blue or 14rb, 8w, and 2b. As far as additional colors go I haven't decided if I can justify them or not, probably not. Drivers are still up in the air I wanted to do a makers 2up pro but it only has 2 channels and the way I want to wire it Will overload channel 1 so that won't work That's about where I am with that right now. I'll post more info when I get it figured out.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my understanding it's a fairly common practice to use vinegar as a Source of carbon for dosing as a way to promote excess bacterial colonization as a means of nutrient export.

I didn't even know about this - thanks! More info I've found:
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium
But yeah; basically the trace amounts are unlikely to have any negative impact. Good to know!

It's set around 90 and my thermometers reading 83.6
Does this mean that your tank temp is 83.6F?

Build is looking good!

OP
OP
Bryces

Bryces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even know about this - thanks! More info I've found

You're welcome and thanks for the link I'll give it a read when I get a minute.

Yes the tank is 83.6 I'm running it a little high to encourage faster reproduction.

OP
OP
Bryces

Bryces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Well the build log has finally pretty much caught up.

Ammonia:
I'm not digging the whole phantom feeding thing, I wanted to dose with ammonia from the beginning but I didn't have any on hand. I came across this at the local pharmacy.

image.jpg

I love this stuff I use it in my lab when I need ammonia and it's great as far as technical grade ammonia goes it's the best I've found. 10 drops brings my ammonia up about 1ppm it's been testing about 2 for the last couple days.

Bio Culture:
I just happened to be in Petco today when I came across this.

image.jpg

I've just added 25ml to the tank so we'll see what happens. I checked before buying it and it had great reviews so hopefully it'll kickstart things a little.

Oh and speaking of petco the dollar a gallon sale happened to be going on while I was there and I couldn't help but pick up this guy.

image.jpg

It's a 40B when I saw the sale was going on I was really excited to pick up a 75 but when I asked about it they told me they only had one and someone already Bought it :( oh well this is still a cool tank so be on the lookout for a other build thread one of these days. I'm still going to continue with the 10 as planned I'm pretty attached to this thing already so don't worry about that.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time the idea came up I was always told that "it would be way too expensive

The Money:
Since I have to save everything I can for the house I've started going the extra mile to visit the ATM and make all of my daily purchases in cash and saving the change to fund my project. Now I must admit I did have a little cash stashed away for the original build and I decided that since it was already supposed to be reef money i wasn't putting it toward the house.

My 10G with 5.5G refugium with partial livestock ran me $1000 (includes food, test kits, water, supplements, QT tank and filters. Does not include, RO/DI, skimmer, ato, computer, dosing pump).

If I were to do it again (which I am but bigger). I'd find everything used on Craigslist instead of new. You can get full tank setups for a couple hundred dollars from other people that have dropped out of the hobby. Just have to skim the adds for a little for good stuff. But.. in my case if you're not charging it then it takes a few months of waiting so you'll at least see a few good post in that span of time.

OP
OP
Bryces

Bryces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(DAY 8)

Added the second dose of Fluval cycle today. Ammonia appears to have gone down a bit, nitrite still below threshold of the test kit.

I've decided to hold off on the fancy lighting build and save it for the 40b. Instead sticking with the true theme of the build I ordered a tuna blue par38 from amazon that I'll hang from the ceiling using some stuff I have laying around the house.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread so far! I'm not usually too interested in the hardware side of things, but this one has me interested!!

OP
OP
Bryces

Bryces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably be retesting the water parameters here in a bit. I'm sure nothing has changed but since I have no livestock to look at or care for it gives me something to do. I suppose I could plumb the RO but tonight's not really a good night to be turning off the water and hacking up pipes and drywall.

OP
OP
Bryces

Bryces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(DAY 9)

Good news we have evidence of cycle. Ammonia is down a little and there is finally some nitrite in the tank.

Ammonia 1.5
Nitrite 0.25

OP
OP
Bryces

Bryces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Day 9 P.m.)
Back with some updates and new gear.

New Gear:
A new piece of gear showed up today!!
The 18gph fountain pump wasn't cutting it at all for flow. I wasn't really expecting it to but it's what I had on hand at the time so meet its replacement.

IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG

Hydor Koralia nano 425gph.

OP
OP
Bryces

Bryces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Day 9 cont.)

My PH is testing pretty low. The surface of my water is pretty smooth so I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough gas exchange at the surface of the water. I'm thinking the aerobic bacteria are consuming all the O2 in the water column and I'm getting a Co2 spike acidifying the water. I'm going to point the powerhead at the surface and add a fan to see if I can get a little better gas exchange.

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back