10G reef filtration

  • Thread starter Thread starter DcoarM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DcoarM

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 14, 2014
Messages
164
Reaction score
57
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I started the process of setting up a 10G reef today. I added 10lbs or live sand and about 15lbs of rock, 10lbs of which was live. My question is how big or small of a hob filter do I need to put in the back. If possible I want to use that for flow, but if I can't I understand. Thanks for any help in advance!:)
 
No need for a mechanical filter, that flow is not enough in the tank anyways. Get a couple of nano powerheads, Maxjets, or something of that nature for flow.
But, if your set on a filter, the Emperor 280 would do nicely, and you could slip in some GFO or other media if needed later on down the road.
 
I went ahead and bought a cheap one from WalMart. It's just cycling right anyways, but I was wondering for the future. Never done a nano tank, but I assume it will be easier and harder than a normal sized reef.
 
For a standard 10 gallon its too long for that to be the flow. Ud need more like a cube to do that. But on my 10 gallon i have two small circulation pumps, a light, n heater. Same amount of rock as u and only 5 lbs of sand. Wasnt goin for deep sand bed. I keep any type of coral in my tanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new