10g Rimless Macro, Sponge & Unique Invert Tank

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, 5th tank. :nerd:

I haven't really posted on this forum much, but since I'm starting up this tank I might as well post here :)
So I have a few standard 10gal tanks laying around, decided to turn one into a macro tank! Today I took the top rim off, put some oolite sand, water, and a piece of LR from my 20gal in this tank.
More info:
Not going to have a filter or whatever on this tank, I'll just rely on the plants and some random water changes.
Lighting: 1x65w 50/50 PC Odyssea light fixture, I plan on hanging it from the ceiling
LR: I'm only going to have a few pieces in this tank, to allow for more plant growth and stuff
Flow: Probably 1-2 K-nanos
Fish: 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 1x Red Spotted Trimma Goby or Neon Goby or, if I can train one, Green Mandarin
Inverts: Any sponges I can get, pom pom crabs, rock shrimp, tube nems, feather dusters, etc
Coral: Maybe just a few, like some bright zoas and chalices
CUC: Probably won't have any
Macros: Red/Black Mangroves, Calpera Prolifera, Codium, whatever catches my eye at ReefCleaners

I love suggestions, especially for any unique inverts :)
FTS:
DSC02954.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome can't wait to watch this grow!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to watching the progress! Like your little blue man! :D

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that a regular 10 gallon tank, and you removed the top brace? If so, I would strongly suggest adding additional bracing. Standard 10 gallons are cheaply made with thin glass and minimal silicone at the joints, and that top plastic rim was certainly bearing some of the weight of the water.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that a regular 10 gallon tank, and you removed the top brace? If so, I would strongly suggest adding additional bracing. Standard 10 gallons are cheaply made with thin glass and minimal silicone at the joints, and that top plastic rim was certainly bearing some of the weight of the water.

Definitely. I barely tapped one in my garage with a plumbing fitting and it shattered...

OP
OP
yoshii

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome can't wait to watch this grow!
Thanks! Me too :)
nice idea for a tank :)

ive seen you over on the other boards from time to time, glad to see some familiar faces over here :p
Yeah, I love your SPS sub-gallon tank! I showed it to my dad and he thought it was an optical illusion lol

Looking forward to watching the progress! Like your little blue man! :D
He is awesome!
This will be a nice tank. Where are you getting the Red Spotted Trimma Goby from?
I'm going to try to get one at my LFS, if I can't, then I'll just go with a Neon Goby. And if I can train a mandarin on frozen, then maybe I would replace the goby with it
Definitely. I barely tapped one in my garage with a plumbing fitting and it shattered...
Yes it is, I thought it didn't need any kind of extra brace? I've seen some people who even de-rimmed both rims on standard 10gal tanks, never heard anything about the seams leaking or cracking glass. I only took off the top rim, and left the bottom one on just in case. If I really do need extra bracing, what would you recommend?

Last edited:
OP
OP
yoshii

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wassa goin' on in hurr? :p

Haha hey, wassup?

Oh, I have a question about "grass shrimp" The little shrimp that hang out on macros. I've heard they eat the macros? That's why they're usually the color of whatever macro they hang out on. Is that true? I was thinking they would be cool for this tank, something that would be on the macros

got2envy

hello fishy fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe this is true :)
I want some too! I wouldn't think that they eat enough of it to really kill it off.

OP
OP
yoshii

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I went to the beach the other day and saw a bunch hanging out on all the macros there, pretty cool :)
I PM'd John and asked him if it would be possible for him to get any for me

OP
OP
yoshii

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very very interesting.....
Going to have to watch this.

Cool :) It is definitely going to be interesting

Oh btw, I'm going to one of the wholesalers for my LFS tomorrow, I want to pick up 1-2 feather dusters/coco worms, maybe a pom pom crab and I really hope I can find a Red Spotted Trimma goby!
Lol I have a serious problem with getting livestock before my new tank is even cycled..

OP
OP
yoshii

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find a Trimma, but I got a feather duster and a nice coco worm :)

Anndd an awesome blue sponge! But the lady didn't speak very good english and took the sponge out of the water for a while :cry_002: I hope it's ok. But even if some of it dies, it should grow back

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back