1100 Gallon Equipment Suggestions...?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
LOL dude, yes 120x36x27 is perfect but there is a lot to consider. I definitely don't have the space in length for that and the cost is significantly more.

I have the space, just can't bend the tank to bring into the basement, so 7' max it had to be.

Hah, you guys are hilarious!

Thank you :)

My current tank is 6ft in length and I have 2 MP40s which seems like overkill. 2 MP60s not enough?

It's not just length, its also width and height. A single pump in a 6' x 18" tank is enough to push one way. Make the tank 36" wide and you're looking at 2+ to cover, make it even wider and you need multiples to cover the area. The fact that you're doing fish only make is much easier but also depends on rock scape as @jda already mentioned.

4+ perhaps, but you'd run them high.

I have experienced the Tunze 6255 on my own tank and it's just crazy how much water it pushes. The guy who took one off my hands confirmed that its way stronger then the MP60s he used until then.

Completely up to you. One can always add more powerheads, should they be needed.

You haven't mentioned your budget so its hard to recommend stuff.

If you're doing this on minimum dime, if that can even be said about tank of your desired dimensions then what @jda recommended might be the way to go. I assumed that people who setup something on this scale have proper budget for what I consider proper equipment.

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the space, just can't bend the tank to bring into the basement, so 7' max it had to be.

Then you don't actually have the space...

It's not just length, its also width and height. A single pump in a 6' x 18" tank is enough to push one way. Make the tank 36" wide and you're looking at 2+ to cover, make it even wider and you need multiples to cover the area. The fact that you're doing fish only make is much easier but also depends on rock scape as @jda already mentioned.

4+ perhaps, but you'd run them high.

I have experienced the Tunze 6255 on my own tank and it's just crazy how much water it pushes. The guy who took one off my hands confirmed that its way stronger then the MP60s he used until then.

Completely up to you. One can always add more powerheads, should they be needed.

Obviously Tunze has a great name I'm fine going with that product. I know the MP40 is solid so the 60 is preferred. I have mine in the middle of the tank.

You haven't mentioned your budget so its hard to recommend stuff.

If you're doing this on minimum dime, if that can even be said about tank of your desired dimensions then what @jda recommended might be the way to go. I assumed that people who setup something on this scale have proper budget for what I consider proper equipment.

Hah, how about 15-17K? All the equipment will be parked next to my 911.

If I can figure out how to save money and get a very good product, I'm going to do it that way...

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Then you don't actually have the space...

Well, one can look at it that way.

I toyed with option to build longer right on site but after seeing builder's prior tanks I said - heck no!

Thank god I didn't blindly leave a deposit.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mp60 does not move as much water as the Tunze 6255, IMO. Use what you have, but if you are buying new, then the 6255 might be the way to go. You can point the tunze. Tunze will likely last longer than the EcoTech too... and they certainly have better customer support. Tunze use to make a 6305 that you sometimes see used at reef garage sales, or the like - these move a lot of water and I would grab some if they work and are cheap.

For the record, I am talking about AmpMaster maybe the newer MRC pumps. The AmpMaster pumps are pretty quiet and the seals do not go out like ReeFlo do (avoid ReeFlo or have extra seals and pumps on hand - not recommended.) The AM pumps are no less wattage than an Abyzz and cost much less. I have some 15 year old AmpMaster pumps that are still going strong and are not silent but also not noisy. Abyzz could be a good upgrade some day - the warranty is great and they perform, but the only hesitation is if you think that they will be around for the long haul? They could be, but lots of us old timers have stuff with lifetime and 10 year warranties to have the companies go out of business in 2007/2008 and the warranty be worth nothing. You can buy 5x AmpMasters for what a Abyzz costs.

We have not talked about heating, but sometimes it is best to keep the room warm with HVAC of some sort. Running 1000w, or more, heaters can get expensive. If you have to run a lot of heaters, look at the 220v inline ones - the only downside to these is that if you return pump goes out, best to have a backup or else the tank will not heat. Some folks do the inline ones in their closed loops. I keep my reefs at 74/75 anymore and it saves me about $60 a month - I also started to heat the basement a bit more at 72/73 (from 66/68) and that save me another $60 a month. Helped a local install a smaller natural gas heater in his fish room with in wall tank and this saved him a lot of money with electrical costs.

You might need several thousand of that budget for sand, rock and cleaning tools. You can sometimes aragonite as play sand or in bulk (like from a dump truck) if you are close to an ocean - for us inland folks, that is not an option. I would start looking now for locals getting rid of their tanks with free or cheap rock - get a rubber made stock tank, collect it and keep it wet and dark.

If you look at folks who set up tanks like this, nearly none of them go full-tilt from the beginning like they are setting up a bio cube or 180g. They slowly upgrade and buy new and better things... usually. This is also why I said to pay attention to the folks who have done this. Three are too few that have $50-100k to drop on this all at once and most of those just cut a check and a bunch of dudes bring in the tank and all of the equipment and they have no idea what any of it is. I have done and helped a lot of people set up tanks like this. As you go, along re-read some of my suggestions if you start to get low on money - I can promise you that your fish will not care if you have an ugly Mag drive in the tank as a powerhead for a year while you buy other stuff... they will just be happy that there is all of that flow.

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have not talked about heating, but sometimes it is best to keep the room warm with HVAC of some sort. Running 1000w, or more, heaters can get expensive. If you have to run a lot of heaters, look at the 220v inline ones - the only downside to these is that if you return pump goes out, best to have a backup or else the tank will not heat. Some folks do the inline ones in their closed loops. I keep my reefs at 74/75 anymore and it saves me about $60 a month - I also started to heat the basement a bit more at 72/73 (from 66/68) and that save me another $60 a month. Helped a local install a smaller natural gas heater in his fish room with in wall tank and this saved him a lot of money with electrical costs.

You might need several thousand of that budget for sand, rock and cleaning tools. You can sometimes aragonite as play sand or in bulk (like from a dump truck) if you are close to an ocean - for us inland folks, that is not an option. I would start looking now for locals getting rid of their tanks with free or cheap rock - get a rubber made stock tank, collect it and keep it wet and dark.

If you look at folks who set up tanks like this, nearly none of them go full-tilt from the beginning like they are setting up a bio cube or 180g. They slowly upgrade and buy new and better things... usually. This is also why I said to pay attention to the folks who have done this. Three are too few that have $50-100k to drop on this all at once and most of those just cut a check and a bunch of dudes bring in the tank and all of the equipment and they have no idea what any of it is. I have done and helped a lot of people set up tanks like this. As you go, along re-read some of my suggestions if you start to get low on money - I can promise you that your fish will not care if you have an ugly Mag drive in the tank as a powerhead for a year while you buy other stuff... they will just be happy that there is all of that flow.

My next call is going to be the HVAC guy I know. The price of the HVAC is not figuring into this cost.

I'm going to get a cool custom base rock scape and just seed the tank with my already cycled water in the 230.

For the tank I'm hooked up with a wholesaler. The sump is going to be a Rubbermaid 300 gallon.

The only think I'm going to contract out is the drilling. I think I can make it visually pleasing and not break the bank and end up with my wife wanting to divorce me, heh.

I really appreciate the non-snarky advice.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, you guys are hilarious!

How about 8ftx4ftx5ft?

I'd keep the same cost, have the length for the tangs. Not have to spend a bunch of money on a custom cabinet.

Would just need to reconfigure the space.

Up against a wall with the plumbing/sump behind, love your idea but $$$.

LOL dude, yes 120x36x27 is perfect but there is a lot to consider. I definitely don't have the space in length for that and the cost is significantly more.

My current tank is 6ft in length and I have 2 MP40s which seems like overkill. 2 MP60s not enough?
2 mp60’s is def not enough.. I have 2 mp40’s plus two ice cap 4k gyre’s on my 6ft tank.. I don’t think the pair of 40’s on your 6ft tank is over kill lol..

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 mp60’s is def not enough.. I have 2 mp40’s plus two ice cap 4k gyre’s on my 6ft tank.. I don’t think the pair of 40’s on your 6ft tank is over kill lol..

Its a fish only set up, I even set them up I the back so they don’t knock the fish around.

Orp isn’t an issue either.

Attachments

• IMG_9496.jpeg
    IMG_9496.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9497.jpeg
    IMG_9497.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 21

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just saw this new light posted to SWA. ATI Straton Pro 204 flat panel - 24"x18" and only $2400. coverage of 40"x32". Though a 6 foot cord seems kind of short. Not sure how that compares with the A500 with a coverage of 36"x36" at $770. Reduced shadowing for an extra $$$

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MAG 8.5 option as a powerhead is intriguing. They do throw off a lot of heat, probably not significant for a large water volume. Definitely, worth a try before paying up for a hydrowizard!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please please say that you are also doing a QT or buying QT'd fish. It would be a nightmare to catch and treat all of the fish in a tank that big (or to remove inverts for in-tank treatment).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about incorporating a refugium? You could grow macroalgae to feed the fish in the display (assuming you will be getting algivorous fish) and cut down on (or mostly eliminate) having to do water changes on a tank with that much water.

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please please say that you are also doing a QT or buying QT'd fish. It would be a nightmare to catch and treat all of the fish in a tank that big (or to remove inverts for in-tank treatment).

The great thing about FO is I can leave the tank in hypo but yes I'll set up a QT tank. Might just be my current 230 or I'll set up a 75 in the room with the plumbing, definitely not a huge concern although I've lost some very cool fish to parasites in the last 6 months or so mostly relating to when I went out of town for 10 days and the skimmer broke.

This isn't a huge worry for me.

Inverts aren't an option so I can even run copper, but I don't like to.

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about incorporating a refugium? You could grow macroalgae to feed the fish in the display (assuming you will be getting algivorous fish) and cut down on (or mostly eliminate) having to do water changes on a tank with that much water.

Hoping the bioreactor does enough work to keep the nitrates and phosphates down.

I've probably changed about 20 gallons in the last 2 months in my current set up mostly due to the bioreactor. Numbers have stayed consistent, fish are happy, no algae, crystal clear water for the most part.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you rock stack is going to be aragonite, copper won't be possible. You could do hypo with no inverts.

If you have sand and aragonite rock and you keep the water parameters decent, the tank can develop reef style microfauna that will eat disease tomonts. Cannot do hypo if you want to do this. This really helps with diseases, but is not eradication nor a substitute for isolation or QT, but can help if something gets through.

3-4 inches of sand will can also keep nitrate low once the anoxic zones develop. I might even do 6" in a tank this tall if I could find it locally by the ton.

Fish con carne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had a 6x5x5 tank, neither would I ever choose to have one. If I had the space I would go long while keeping width between 32-36" (unless accessible from both sides) and height of 24-27. Say 120x36x27 would probably be a perfect size for me.

With 6x5x5, at a certain angle to reach max span, pointed diagonally, ~8 feet of unobstructed flow. 6255 would handle it perfectly, provided it would attach through glass/acrylic with its magnet rated at 1.25"

Using Pumps internally to replace powerheads seems like an ugly solution from 2 decades ago when mag pumps were a thing. If this is your thing, I won't judge. I am not even sure how that would be mounted, even though I've been in the hobby in that era.

In today's day and age its more about Panta Rhei, Abyzz, Tunze, etc but again, we are talking about fish-only setup - you need just enough flow to keep detritus in suspension to be removed out of the system.

I would never put a mag in the tank to use as powerhead. How do you even hide that in your display?
They were also notorious for heat transfer, depending on ones' situation this would require a chiller and add to cost, both initial and ongoing.

Which pumps specifically are you comparing? Can one even compare? Do you have any experience with A200 or A400? Besides, what 14 foot tank are you referring to? What does length of tank have to do with a return pump?

Please help me understand your logic.
My ideal tank deminsions.

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider putting in a surge / dump bucket with a tank that size. If you are serious about an Achilles tang, they THRIVE in surge zones. I put a DIY surge dump on my big tank and I was amazed at how many fish LOVED to be pummeled by the water. You could then put some wave makers on the other side of the tank, just to keeping up a good flow!

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider putting in a surge / dump bucket with a tank that size. If you are serious about an Achilles tang, they THRIVE in surge zones. I put a DIY surge dump on my big tank and I was amazed at how many fish LOVED to be pummeled by the water. You could then put some wave makers on the other side of the tank, just to keeping up a good flow!

That's interesting, definitely getting an Achilles. I'll leave my Sohal in the 230 until all the other tangs are in. I was curious to see if there was a wavemaker that actually could emulate the surface similar to the ocean. I'd pay up for a product like that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back