12 Gallon Mangrove

Aiden Graves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently bought a 12 gallon long Aquamaxx Aquarium from marine depot. I was originally going to make it a brackish puffer tank. I took out all the plants and re scaped the tank to a mangrove lagoon. I ordered some decorator crabs and a few hermits from reef cleaners. I’m planning on getting a stronger light for the mangroves and potting them when they get bigger. What are you suggestions for this tank build.
F394AEFE-2FC3-4948-AC03-21F30B12A944.jpeg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome idea - looking forwards to this thriving!

What does your aquascape look like for the future? I've seen some incredible mangrove tanks with very beautiful, minimalist rock work.

OP
OP
Aiden Graves

Aiden Graves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so I was thinking a small rock with maybe a gorgonean or a zoa and a school of three blue Chromis. I also plan on adding some macro algae.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds fun! Have you been able to invest time in researching Chromis and tactics towards battling their agression towards one another?

OP
OP
Aiden Graves

Aiden Graves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am aware of their aggressive nature to their own kind. However I have not found many ways to tame their territorial behavior to themselves in a small aquarium. I may just end up keeping a cardinal fish instead.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I LOVE tanks like this!

OP
OP
Aiden Graves

Aiden Graves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some suggestions on fish that will not jump in a toppless aquarium.

OP
OP
Aiden Graves

Aiden Graves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C2E84BFA-51CE-449C-908C-3848BA9828F9.jpeg
Hey, quick update. I went to petco an purchased a small piece of live rock. When I got home I noticed a small purple dottyback in my tank. The dottyback must have been inside the live rock. It seems to be doing fine but I have not reasearched these fish. Do you have any idea of the care needs of this fish?
AA26C903-033A-4956-8AF9-F3E6506ED7A8.jpeg

jodindave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently bought a 12 gallon long Aquamaxx Aquarium from marine depot. I was originally going to make it a brackish puffer tank. I took out all the plants and re scaped the tank to a mangrove lagoon. I ordered some decorator crabs and a few hermits from reef cleaners. I’m planning on getting a stronger light for the mangroves and potting them when they get bigger. What are you suggestions for this tank build.
F394AEFE-2FC3-4948-AC03-21F30B12A944.jpeg
I like mangroves, I was wondering if it was possible to have them in the tanks. I don't have a tank yet, we are still in the beginning stages of learning but one day fairly soon I hope to have a tank or two.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mangroves, I was wondering if it was possible to have them in the tanks. I don't have a tank yet, we are still in the beginning stages of learning but one day fairly soon I hope to have a tank or two.
@jodindave I'm not sure that I understand your question. Are you asking if it is possible to put mangroves in a display tank? As opposed to an overflow chamber or a sump?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back