12 inch led vs 36 inch led

baseballfanatic2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I want to know why is your ideal led combo for lighting every 12 inch of tank?

second, here is my thoughts...

I am making an sps 10 and 30 gallon tank and going with a diy led fixture and I want to have the best lighting. What do you guys think of these clusters?. The heatsinks will be 12 inch long and 36 inch long

I will use mainly royal blue, blue, white, and cyan for growth. Others for color blending and “options”.

thanks in advance for @oreo5457 for helping me last time and possibly this time

12 inch tank (9channels)

6 royal blue
4 blue
4 cool white
2 cyan
1 amber
1 lime
1 deep red
1 uv
1 violet

36 inch tank (9channels)

18 royal blue
12 blue
12 cool white
6 cyan
3 amber
3 lime
3 deep red
3 uv
3 violet

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be a little white if running whites and cyan and amber too high. Otherwise yes it will work just may have to mess with dimming a bit. I did diy leds before but honestly dont see as much of a point in recent years with cheap options like Orphek Or3 bars and Maxspect jump leds etc.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is dimming and running leds with that many channels you have a lot more posiblities but also a lot more room for error. That said I have seen many people make amazing led lights on the forum so it can definitely be done and oreo is def a good person to ask for advice on this

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much nonsense colors.

Is your intent to grow coral or have more channels of color than a chuck e cheese?

Go to the diy forum, flip a few pages back and look at my post about how I built a reef light for $40. Just 4 Royal LEDs and I single neutral white and no dimming achieves that growth for Zoas.

On my SPS side I run two channels; royal and a mix of cool white and reds. Must grow corals because I have SPS in a 20L that a lot of people with tanks 10x the size would kill for.

My next light, provided its DIY given Ive been building them for over a decade will be royal, cool white and 630nm red. In terms of power ratio it will likely be 80/15/5. I wish I could add 460-465nm for balance but those LEDs only exist in Chinese silicon. Cool white in Cree or Luxeon is closer to 480nm and I can't stand cyan or teal or mint on a tank. Just cancels out red and makes the tank look dull.

I don't run UV or violet because its junk science invented by marketing depts.

So, my advice is to stick with fewer primary colors. For a 12" wide tank you can run them without optics with a low light, or narrow clusters with wide optics.

OP
OP
baseballfanatic2

baseballfanatic2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much nonsense colors.

Is your intent to grow coral or have more channels of color than a chuck e cheese?

Go to the diy forum, flip a few pages back and look at my post about how I built a reef light for $40. Just 4 Royal LEDs and I single neutral white and no dimming achieves that growth for Zoas.

On my SPS side I run two channels; royal and a mix of cool white and reds. Must grow corals because I have SPS in a 20L that a lot of people with tanks 10x the size would kill for.

My next light, provided its DIY given Ive been building them for over a decade will be royal, cool white and 630nm red. In terms of power ratio it will likely be 80/15/5. I wish I could add 460-465nm for balance but those LEDs only exist in Chinese silicon. Cool white in Cree or Luxeon is closer to 480nm and I can't stand cyan or teal or mint on a tank. Just cancels out red and makes the tank look dull.

I don't run UV or violet because its junk science invented by marketing depts.

So, my advice is to stick with fewer primary colors. For a 12" wide tank you can run them without optics with a low light, or narrow clusters with wide optics.
Innovative marine has 456nm led on their Skyye led. Wonder which they run

OP
OP
baseballfanatic2

baseballfanatic2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is dimming and running leds with that many channels you have a lot more posiblities but also a lot more room for error. That said I have seen many people make amazing led lights on the forum so it can definitely be done and oreo is def a good person to ask for advice on this
What’s the error part? I’m trying to develop the dream light. Not sure if I should waste time with colors not needed.
Does ai prime and ecotech add leds that are complete waste of led room?
I know limes should replace greens. That’s hands down..

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 9 channels and trying to dim them create a lot of room for error, unless you are following someones led layout and power usage through a controller. The only thing i would also add is you should definitely price the whole thing out and truly see if it will actually be cheaper or reasonable to go through with it at that point.
And this is more for me but i have wanted to see someone take apart the cabling for an orphek OR3 bar and splice in a dimmable meanwell driver

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative marine has 456nm led on their Skyye led. Wonder which they run
No starboard and 5050 package.
Supposedly Epistar.. but ????
0.2w chips so sort of pointless.

Manufacture of leds produces a range of nm and power factors.
Ind. Nm's can be " binned" out but it usally not
"Retailed".
Think of a bell curve w/ the common nm at the top.

If you buy like 1000's you may likely specify close to exact nm's but you will pay a premium price
As "I"see it.

Good manuf sort by nm and electrical
characteristics

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back