120 build equipment recommendations

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prefix - I messed up and started working a build for a used 150g and had a few posts up here doing my due diligence. Turns out, it ended up being a 120g marketed as a used 150g. /sigh - my fault for not knowing better at the time. FWIW I only have a Prostar 60 (42g display) and have only had a max of a 72g bowfront in the past so it looked like a 150g (err bigger tank) when I picked it up. Also, when I picked it up the guy had a monkey so I was distracted.

I'd like to keep a mixed reef set up in this tank.

For the build:
120g (48x24x24) dual overflow

Sump - This is the only description I can find for the sump as it was made by Trigger Systems for now defunct Marine Depot. It's the 36inch version.

Return Pump - I ordered a Jebao DCP-8000 Sine Wave return. Have a smaller one in the Prostar and I do not hear it from a noise standpoint.

Lights - I'm thinking 2x AI Hydra 26HD

Flow - This is up for debate - I considered 2x gyres mounted vertically in back corners (Icecap 2k Gyre or Maxpect 330's)

Skimmer - Another day since this will be a slow build and likely not needed off the bat but likely Reef Octopus unless someone can sway me. I have a Simplicity 120 in the Prostar and really do not like it. It needs to be tuned almost daily.

Heater - Leaning towards a Helio set up though I need to figure out the appropriate one now that it's 120 instead of 150.

I'm in the process of plumbing everything as the buy was missing bulkheads etc (hence the realization it was a 120 instead of 150 tall). It was originally a dual Durso and I am converting it to Herbie with Overflow 1 (Open trickle pipe / siphon) and Overflow 2 (Emergency drain / return and either adding a powerhead for circulation or a powerhead and drilling extra holes in the overflow for circulation).

Thoughts on lights and flow, build in general? I am open to recommendations. Have only bought plumbing and the return pump at this point.

Thanks for any recommendations in advance!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@erm0715 I have the same size tank. For lighting I like the AI 32HDs and I think two of them will work for you. BRS did a video on them about spacing to get most even light. It’s a good view. Personally I’m using the ReefBreeders 48 ProV2 because I caught it on a great price. But programming the ReefBreeder is pretty cumbersome compared to the AI.

For flow, I’m just a huge fan of the Ecotech MP40s. They have worked well for me and I don’t like cables in the tank.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@erm0715 I have the same size tank. For lighting I like the AI 32HDs and I think two of them will work for you. BRS did a video on them about spacing to get most even light. It’s a good view. Personally I’m using the ReefBreeders 48 ProV2 because I caught it on a great price. But programming the ReefBreeder is pretty cumbersome compared to the AI.

For flow, I’m just a huge fan of the Ecotech MP40s. They have worked well for me and I don’t like cables in the tank.
Thanks! I was thinking 32HD's when it was going to be 30" deep and thought I could back off with 24" depth but wouldn't hurt my feelings to go with 2 32's. I see they just came out with the Blade series though I know even less about those.

The flow as my biggest confliction between going with a Gyre or the traditional wavemaker types. I know people are big on the MP40s. I don't really see as much on the gyres but liked the idea of mounting them vertically for a semi wall of flow. I could go either way but I'll check out the ecotechs.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was thinking 32HD's when it was going to be 30" deep and thought I could back off with 24" depth but wouldn't hurt my feelings to go with 2 32's. I see they just came out with the Blade series though I know even less about those.

The flow as my biggest confliction between going with a Gyre or the traditional wavemaker types. I know people are big on the MP40s. I don't really see as much on the gyres but liked the idea of mounting them vertically for a semi wall of flow. I could go either way but I'll check out the ecotechs.
You’re welcome!

On the lights I‘d rather have too much power than not enough. I’m not a fan of overdriving LEDs as I’ve heard about lenses melting and stuff.

On the gyre vs wavemaker, I thought about putting a gyre on the back wall so it would “wash” towards the front of the tank, and putting MP40s on opposite walls in anti-sync mode. Ended up with an MP40 on the back wall as a slave to a second MP40 on a side wall. So far so good!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tractor Supply, for your Carib-Sea Gravel/Substrate. No shipping charge, if shipped to the Store. I’d mix them up from sand to gravel. BTW, the Live Sand, from them had a healthy smell like the Ocean. Reef Crystals from Walmart, 200 Gallon Box, delivered to your door, no shipping charges. Grey Brute Container, and Brute Dolly, for mixing saltwater. Don’t pay extra for a White Brute, they let light through the plastic, and you’ll have algae growth. Danner Supreme pump 2, for Saltwater Mixing, and pumping new water into the Aquarium. For the Skimmer, I’d get a LifeReef, either new from LifeReef, or watch for used ones, for sale. You’ll need the Small Reef Art Frag. Stand with that sump to elevate that Skimmer, and possibly others. Jabeo Gyre Wavemaker, my 120 is way overkill. Get a 90 or a 70, and add another 70 later on.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120. Use 2 mp40s on opposite sides synch alternating antisynch. Trigger sump. LifeReef skimmer. 2xCor20 returns. 4 x Kessil 360x. Also consider a nice lid from Clearview or Toplids.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4' 90 Gallon. I like my ATI 4' 8X 54w T5 Fixture. It is a different look than LED, but has plenty of PAR for a 120. Some like it, some don't. I have two FX350 Gyre pumps and an MP40. None run anywhere near full blast. I also have a 36" Trigger Systems Sump. While I use a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 right now. It is not one I would recommend. The skimmer I like is the old school Reef Oct NWS150 Recirculating External. With maybe a little tweaking, it fits in the sump's skimmer bay. It isn't terribly efficient, but is dead stable regardless of sump level, and is very effective.

It sounds like you are planning ahead and investing a lot in this tank. This might be a great time to think about how will start your tank. That might be a bigger decision than what equipment to buy. I think the biggest decision is whether you will start your tank with live rock or dry rock. I truly believe that starting the tank with 100% live rock... real live rock that is cultured in the ocean... is the best way to start the tank. It is admittedly expensive though.

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Definitely sounds like I need to look into the LifeReef skimmers.

Definitely torn on the wavemakers. I have 2 Jebao nero knockoffs in the Prostar 60. They are solid and quiet but I hate how there's not much for configuring when I look at other pumps like the MP40s or Maxpect Gyres but I guess that's the money trade off. Tough decisions on a couple hundred bucks for a few less configurable Jebao verses closer to a grand for a couple of MP40's or to a less extent 500ish for two Maxpects or Icecaps.

The MP40's are what, 5000 gph so 10000gph max between the two. How tuned down are you guys running those that have them?

Regarding how I plan to set it up. It's still up air and will definitely be a slow process. I'll start on the plumbing today and am still debating if I should go under the house and shore up the joists.

I have ~75lbs of live/dry argonite sand (some of each) that came with the tank.

The next part is up in the air. My preference would be to add the sand, rock the fill with mixed salt. My problem is space and a two year old right now. I really don't have the space until my 12x28 utility shed is delivered to make a mixing station and to a larger extent to keep my 2 year old from throwing toys in it. I still find plastic figurines from time to time in my ATO DI storage bin for the prostar tank.

Against my preference I considered running the RODI line to the tank each night until filled, then adding salt slowly letting the pump/wavemakers mix until I hit 1.025. Then add sand, rock and eventually a good mix of pods from Algae Barn. The only advantageous part of this is if I do find any small leaks in the slow fill process I've not wasted 120g of salt mix.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run my mp40s very high as i have a lot of lps corals. Here’s the mp40 on the right. The left one is usually antisynch to this. They are offset from each other. I also use random flow generators on the returns.

8E36B564-F0B0-432F-A519-EEB46A72EDF1.png

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did any of you build your own stand? I have a stand that came with the tank but I'm leaning towards trying to build one. I started working on the plumbing underneath and there's just not a lot of room to try to get a valve under the siphon and a couple of 45's to get to the sump drain ports. I'm also concerned it'll be hard to get a skimmer in there down the road. Total stand height is ~28 inches, doors are ~21 inches and sump is ~15 inches so, tight squeeze.

I was thinking I'd like to have something closer to 36 inches for additional height to work with plumbing etc.

Can I take rocketengineers 75g DIY plans and expand the height and width?

IMG-4604.jpg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prefix - I messed up and started working a build for a used 150g and had a few posts up here doing my due diligence. Turns out, it ended up being a 120g marketed as a used 150g. /sigh - my fault for not knowing better at the time. FWIW I only have a Prostar 60 (42g display) and have only had a max of a 72g bowfront in the past so it looked like a 150g (err bigger tank) when I picked it up. Also, when I picked it up the guy had a monkey so I was distracted.

I'd like to keep a mixed reef set up in this tank.

For the build:
120g (48x24x24) dual overflow

Sump - This is the only description I can find for the sump as it was made by Trigger Systems for now defunct Marine Depot. It's the 36inch version.
I use the Trigger Systems CR44 and works well for my 120.

12298.jpeg
6625.jpeg
4868.jpeg
3267.jpeg

OP
OP
E

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diggin’ your ideas for the 120, any updates?
For me it's been a slow burn with other projects going on. Added a 12x28 utility shed that we've slowly been insulating/wiring and adding a mini-split unit to.

For the tank thus far:
2 MP40's
Nyos 160 Skimmer
Jebao DCP-10000 Return
Jebao 4 Head Doser
Inkbird controller with Finnex Titanium heater and a backup eheim truetemp heater
Aquatic Life 48" Hybrid Fixture with 2x Blue+ and 2x Coral+ T5's with wall floating anchors
^Need to purchase LED's for fixture - Looking at 2 XR30's or 2 Reefi Uno 2.0 Pros
Dual over flows converted from Durso to 1 containing syphon and trickle and the other as return and emergency drain.
Built stand, just need to paint and add trim

Dosing NoPox and Tropic Marin All for Reef

Current Livestock:
Chocolate Mimic Tang
Gold Rim Tang
One Spot Foxface
Leopard Wrasse
Valentini Puffer
Midas Blenny
Diamond Watchman
2x Chromis
2x Firefish
Bangai Cardinal

IMG-5038.jpg IMG-5053.jpg IMG-5058.jpg

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish are looking stellar man!! Great gear as well. I’m taking some pointers from your setup as I’m slowly gathering equipment for my 1st Sw tank and it just happens to be a 120 gal. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back