OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I don’t own a Jeep but a few friend have me work on them from time to time. Yours look good!

How did you like the Bashsea equipment on the old tank? I’m setting up my tank now and I was considering their reactors and skimmer.
Awesome glad to have you following along.

I liked the bashsea equipment a lot. His work is very clean and the seams are awesome you would think he was building a show tank with the level of craftsmanship. I had actually contacted Steve again about building one for this tank. I decided i wanted to try something different and i love the white clean look. Nothing wrong with the very colorful systems the one Steve built was bad butt. I just wanted to go against the grain a little with this one and everyone is doing Orange now but if it doesn’t work out i will replace it with bashsea.

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome glad to have you following along.

I liked the bashsea equipment a lot. His work is very clean and the seams are awesome you would think he was building a show tank with the level of craftsmanship. I had actually contacted Steve again about building one for this tank. I decided i wanted to try something different and i love the white clean look. Nothing wrong with the very colorful systems the one Steve built was bad ***. I just wanted to go against the grain a little with this one and everyone is doing Orange now but if it doesn’t work out i will replace it with bashsea.

I understand! I’m digging the “apex” theme. I went red. The stand was powder coated red so it didn’t leave me a lot of options...

406CDE01-67EC-4BD6-A060-442DD6B84673.jpeg

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand! I’m digging the “apex” theme. I went red. The stand was powder coated red so it didn’t leave me a lot of options...

406CDE01-67EC-4BD6-A060-442DD6B84673.jpeg
That is awesome I love the red and black. The apex Theme was complicated finding orange tubing and special ordering pvc and valves just to make it cohesive was expensive as hell. It was turning out great but I would never do it again. Haha. I would pick a more readily available color like red. Haha I’m finding my all white them to be a little of a pain in the butt too but not near as bad as the orange and grey. This system will have a touch of orange just cause i have orange stuff from the last build. Haha

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome I love the red and black. The apex Theme was complicated finding orange tubing and special ordering pvc and valves just to make it cohesive was expensive as hell. It was turning out great but I would never do it again. Haha. I would pick a more readily available color like red. Haha I’m finding my all white them to be a little of a pain in the *** too but not near as bad as the orange and grey. This system will have a touch of orange just cause i have orange stuff from the last build. Haha

If it doesn’t come from Lowe’s or HD it’s over priced and a pain to get! Lol!

What are you planning for overflow on the tank?

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn’t come from Lowe’s or HD it’s over priced and a pain to get! Lol!

What are you planning for overflow on the tank?

I know i had to order from specialty plumbing places and paid ridiculous amount of money for valves and miscellaneous parts.
As far as the overflow it will be a internal in the center back of the tank. Where the tank is located i didn’t have the room for an external and you would be able to see the tank from both sides and the plumbing just wouldn’t look good aesthetically so I’m giving up some room inside for it.

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has arrived. With a very helpful wife and a hydraulic cart (helps that you use to mange the fish store they let you borrow anything) we got it in the house. Taking a vote should leave it how it is or black out the back glass?

4088534D-35FB-49B4-A878-676F7EF5619B.jpeg

D40C50F3-A900-4878-A4F9-1D38EA314F29.jpeg

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has arrived. With a very helpful wife and a hydraulic cart (helps that you use to mange the fish store they let you borrow anything) we got it in the house. Taking a vote should leave it how it is or black out the back glass?

4088534D-35FB-49B4-A878-676F7EF5619B.jpeg

D40C50F3-A900-4878-A4F9-1D38EA314F29.jpeg

If you are going to keep it clean I think black is the way to go for sure. If not I really don’t think it matters.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that pretty of a tank I really think leave it with a clear back round .. shoot look at @Boardfields tank , perfect example of a clean setup!

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote blacked out. I think I saw a post where someone used vinyl wrap (like what you would use on a car) rather than paint. Easily removable and simple to do.

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your taste in Jeeps and Sumps!:cool:

IMG_5190.JPG

fullsizeoutput_32b.jpeg

I personally like the clean look of no background color. At night you get more of a reflection and seems like the tank has more depth.

1516165080489.JPEG

1516165140079.JPEG

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I’ve been going back and forth on some of my equipment choices. Not that what I had picked were bad choices. So I finally went by features and benefits for me. I also wanted to include redundancy. I don’t travel often but being in the AC business in Texas I have long days when we get hot. I need the tank to be self sufficient on the days I can’t tend to it and if something fails I need to have a back up in place. I thought a controller was the answer but having a central brain on the system that almost all items are plugged in to just does not seem like a good idea to me. I still got a controller of sorts but way different than what you are all thinking. So with that being said I made some modifications to my list of equipment and I have 12 boxes of stuff being delivered tomorrow. I will update again tomorrow when it all gets here. Hopefully we should be cycling by end of the month.

OP
OP
txreefer

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what all is in the picture above? We are going for redundancy here and so there’s almost two of everything.
- 2 Eheim heaters
- 2 TUNZE 6095 with battery back ups
- 2 TUNZE nano streams these are for mild flow in back of tank. Not sure I will used them.
-2 ice cap battery back ups.
-Tunze osmolator has with optical and standard floats.
- tunze smart controller 7000. This will control the heater and the 6095”s it will be on battery back up as well. It has a ph probe and salinity probe. So it will give me basic readings and control the two most important things flow and temperature. I made this decision on the fact that I really didn’t need a full controller to do a bunch of crazy tasks. I think this was the best option for my needs.

I went with the ap700 for lighting it fit what I wanted to do. I can always add more light if I find that it isn’t enough for the tank.

I am still going with ghl dosers. For dosing the system. I think the system will run well with everything not being connected. I know it takes a little more to get it all set up and running properly but once it is I don’t think there will be many changes and having everything separate should keep me from a catastrophic failure should anything fail include the controller.

I am busy getting all of it put together my rock and ro/di unit should be here next week then we can get it filled and cycling. I will update with more pics as I get everything installed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back