OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made my second purchase for my build! Got a new RO/DI coming from Spectrapure pure! Thanks @AZDesertRat for the advice! Went with the MaxCap 90gal/day system, so psyched to have a quality RO/DI instead of the crappy captive purity 3 stage 25gal/day filter I bought about 12 years ago. I also ordered 80lbs of dry Pukani from BRS. Next on the list are a couple food grade brute cans to cure the rock. I will ultimately use them for reservoirs, for fresh and salt water. Next week when I've got some more dough I think I will decide on an external return pump and get a glass bit to drill the sump. Still trying to decide between Reeflo and Iwaki. Also been spending some time drafting up some 3D models in SketchUp of the tank/entry/kitchen renovations we are planning. I will upload some picks when the drawings are a little more complete. On another note is there anyway to change the title of my build thread?

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree, I would like to change the title of my build thread but can't seem to edit it. I would like it to read 120 peninsula build. Can you help me change it?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it!

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 80lbs of Pukani Dry rock from BRS today. Wow is it gonna stink when it cures. Anyway here is my aquascape so far. In the past I would do my scape and think it was good. Then a couple months later change it. I think that doing that definitely had a negative impact on my system. This time I'm gonna get it the way I want it and not change it. This is what I have so far. I have a few more larger pieces, I may make one more island with then a few smaller pieces that will be scattered about. What do you all think?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457653621.293042.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457653656.111056.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457653666.662556.jpg

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the aquascape finalized. Nothing is glued together yet, most of it doesn't even need to be. The "floating" island on the right needs to be glued together and the shelf on the left island needs some epoxy also. Other than that everything should stay put. Once my new RO/DI arrives I will start curing, gonna do a vinegar bath first for a couple weeks, there is a lot of dead stuff on the Pukani. I have a few large pieces left and probably 70 more pounds from my last set up that will go in the fuge and sump. Now that I know I'm going with an Iwaki external pump I have a chamber that will be mostly empty. I will mount reactors to the equipment panel behind the sump, or to the stand that the fuge is on. Here's some pics of the scape.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this just happened last Sunday. We had been trying for a little more than a year. All it took was a nice relaxing trip to Mexico, definitely where it happened! We are so excited, still vey, very early. Hope everything goes well over the next couple months. Build will be in full force, life is going to be very different in 9 months.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458226430.071596.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this just happened last Sunday. We had been trying for a little more than a year. All it took was a nice relaxing trip to Mexico, definitely where it happened! We are so excited, still vey, very early. Hope everything goes well over the next couple months. Build will be in full force, life is going to be very different in 9 months.

Wow congrats!! WOOT!!!

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some screen shots of my SketchUp 3D models of the layout/renovations we will be doing for the tank. The room that the red chairs are in is currently our dinning room. That room is really not used by us at all. My wife wants to turn it into our entry/fourier from the garage, I wasn't sure about it at first but now I think it's a smart idea. We have literally had maybe 4 sit down dinners in there in the year that we have owned the house. So just have to move the current door from the garage, no big deal. The little boxes you see hanging over the tank are going to be my Radion XR30s still trying to decide between the Pros or not. I've just seen way to many spectacular tanks with these lights, plus they have so many cool features. They will be attached to the ceiling with down rods commonly used for ceiling fans. Behind the tank on the other side of that little wall is the garage, there will be a small door so that I can access the cubby that will be created. Inside there will be the external overflow box and valves, as well as all the electrical equipment to power the display tank. I'm still working on sketching up the rest of the kitchen. But here is what I've got so far.
Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 8.14.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 8.15.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 8.16.46 PM.png

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sketch up is fantastic! I have tried briefly to get a sketch up of my sump and plumbing but I just haven't taken the time. Looks awesome! I would be sitting at the bar for every meal to sit and watch the tank![emoji16]

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats and all the best. Tank location and design is awsome. Following along

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some stuff from @BRS today. I gotta say these guys offer great customer service. Had an issue with my rock order from a while back that originated on their end. They more than fixed it. I've been a customer since 2010, I will always buy my equipment from them. Here's a pic of what I received today, gonna do me some sump drilling this weekend.
dcd2bdf5c395d5d152af0ecee0b32483.jpg

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my RO/DI booster pump hooked up late last week, it's amazing how much of a difference it makes on my product water production. Before it was hooked up, my pressure fluctuated between 38-45psi, now I've got it stable at 80psi and it's working much better. Also built a little riser for my return pump this morning and will drill the sump this weekend. This morning I talked to Chris Walker at Coast2Coast aquariums in NJ for like 45 minutes. I'm going to give them my buisiness for the tank, he was very nice, and has given me great advice and customer service all along the planning stages of my build. Now I just gotta do some thinking on the options we talked about, convince the wife to let me have the 50% deposit so I can officially place my order. They currently have a 10 week lead time so that would put delivery time towards the end of July. Hopefully giving me plenty of time before the baby comes, to get things up a running.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATES: Drilled the sump last weekend for the return pump. First time I have ever drilled glass. Gotta admit I was nervous, but it was really easy came out really clean barely any chip out. Going to order my tank on Monday. Getting it from Acrylic and Glass Exhibits (AGE). Tank will be 48x24x24 regular glass,1" thick schedule 80 pvc bottom, with a stainless steel rim on the top no cross brace, drilled for a 16" Synergy overflow, lead time 8-10 weeks. Should be plenty of time to get the space prepped, stand built and electrical moved and set up...I hope.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back