fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful wrasse..tank too.
I know what you mean about Maine being a hard place to be a reefer. I live about 80 miles north of Cultivated Reefs home, just a step into Canada...lol
Have to rely on the internet but do have to travel to Boston once a month so I do get a chance to hit a few hotspots I`ve found on the way..
Have you ever been to "The Coral Reef Aquarium" in Seekonk, down near Rhode Island. That is the store that got me started years ago. Thanks for joining the fun, and the compliments!

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the Ornate Leopard Wrasse is settling in well. Eating all frozen, and live black worms I can throw in the tank. For the first 4 hours it was a little touchy in the tank as the Kole Tang, and Anthias were like "whose this guy". They are all getting along fine now, and harmony has again filled my tank. This weekend I will add the pink spotted goby. I need to get a couple more Lyre Tail Anthias and put them through TTM. Tank is coming along.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful wrasse, be careful with open top, might find him carpet surfing

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has been going on in the tank recently. I added the pink spotted goby to the DT and fish all seemed to be getting along just fine. And then yesterday I get home from work and one of my fire fish is laying dead at the bottom of the tank belly up, fins all torn up and looking very picked on. It had been very secretive for a few weeks I never saw anybody picking on it. I also did a large WC in the QT where my 3 baby chalk bass were, matched the water exactly and they all died. Not sure why, all 3 were really small like 1" or less. It's finally starting to get warm up here and I will soon be finishing off the aesthetics to the tank, as I can now use my garage shop comfortably. I've been thinking really hard about the direction I want this tank to go. I up until recently have been planning on an sps dominant tank. I have been thinking recently though about going the complete opposite direction and going softy. With a 6month old baby, and plans of trying to have another one soon, work, house/property responsibilities time is going to be a huge issue. Also it seems like every time I feel that the tank is ready, water seems stable, etc I get a tester stick or two and it dies. I do finally have a monti cap that seems to be growing well, and a nice little acan. I have been looking at @MJC tank thread a lot and am really into it. I've done a little looking and between @Vivid Aquariums, @uniquecorals, Aquacorals here in Maine, and some local refers I could get a pretty nice variety of colors and growth forms. Who knows maybe @Vivid Aquariums and @uniquecorals will sponsor my tank with some soft corals? More updates to come soon!

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you're doing better than I except in the fish loss dept.... After everything was moved into the 40B because of the crack, I am now suffering from dinos and HA..... The 90 is not set up yet and I am not going to be moving anything from the 40 to it unless it clears. I have been dosing Vibrant weekly for over a month with little success. I upped it to 2x a week a week ago and did some major cleaning of a few rocks. and it "seems" to be a little better. (I did what you are not supposed to do and took the rocks to the sink and sprayed them with tap and a scrub brush)

I hope your tank takes the turn for the better and it will become stable. Good luck :)

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1121.JPG
Well I have pulled the trigger and am going soft coral/LPS on this tank. I will have a few easy SPS. First softy is a yellow devils hand.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1160.JPG
Wow it's been a long time since updating my thread. Quick catch up.... slowly adding soft corals to my tank. After killing off some bubble algae and my refugium macros with Vibrant I had a Dino bloom. I beat them off by keeping my water dirty and going back to a low maintenance system. Just dealing with a little cyano and slowly trying to add live stock. Replanted the refugium today with some caulerpa and codium. And finally hung my cantalevered light surround. It's made of some reclaimed wood that was part of a cake stand at my wedding.

londonloco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"And then there is this little project. 8 months old crawling, getting into everything, 4 teeth, and such a happy spirit. Being a dad is the coolest thing I've ever done in my life!"

Love this!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to see both projects are going better than planed:)

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing great and really coming into it's own. Passed the one year mark last month. I've added some livestock in the last 2 weeks and by some I mean a little bit. Got another acan in there, a small gorgonian, a really cool mushroom, and put in a c

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it’s been almost 3 months since an update. My tank WAS doing awesome until October 31 when a wind storm knocked out power in Maine. We were out for 6 days total. In 4 years in this house power has never been off for more than a couple hours. We have no generator but have since decided to get one. Reef aside it was not fun to not have power for close to a week with a one year old child. My Gyre back up lasted 14 hours straight in the end water temp dropped to 56 degrees. It wasn’t a total loss though. I lost 3 of 7 fish. All of my corals but a few small pieces that I was able to cut off of my toadstool and colt coral, my acans, gorgonian, and two baby mushrooms. All but a couple snails died, my skunk cleaner shrimp lived. 2 Anthias, and 2 wrasses survived. Macro algae in the fuge lived. The day the power came back on I went to remove the melting corals and couldn’t even put my arm in the water it was so cold. Fast forward to today, I’ve started rebuilding. I replaced the yellow eyed Kole Tang last month, have been adding snails here and there. I picked up a couple corals yesterday. Got a new Capnella, an acan and either a platygera or a favia. Everything is still settling in but here are some picks.
D03185B1-3C30-49EB-B4CD-FF34E84515F8.jpeg
26E58734-366D-43CE-9824-4E4221CC9841.jpeg
732F8404-71C3-49A7-92EE-82214CC66CD8.jpeg

Here are the surviving corals.
D94EC988-CC28-45E9-9024-260954FEA3C3.jpeg
097CFF75-4543-4038-A176-44785A1FB3E5.jpeg

F7FFC34D-8B63-42F6-9E7F-8F05AAE76E28.jpeg
DCD282C2-6C70-4FF3-B080-9385AB198DD6.jpeg

BCF2A288-1FD7-4503-BAC0-C2FDC3B1B2B6.jpeg

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sux @fragit but good to hear tank is mostly OK. Rock looks great ! ! !

I wouldn't live in NE without a generator. It get too cold and you need to be able to keep things on. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back