Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded from a 37 gallon tank to a 120 gallon. So far, I have
- 2 clownfish
- 1 filefish
-1 Yasha Goby
-1 yellow watchman goby
-1 neon dottyback
along with these, I have two urchins, few hermits and snails, and two fighting conchs.
I was planning on adding
- Bluejaw Trigger
- Regal Angel
- Foxface Lo
- Yellow Tang
-Blue Hippo Tang

These are just a few that I’d want, but I wanted some suggestions on what else I should consider or not consider. I was also looking to get some cleaner shrimp in the future as well, and wouldn’t know if that would limit my options. Any help is appreciated.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank? If it's a standard 120 (4'x2' footprint), then a blue hippo will outgrow that tank.

I would definitely recommend a wrasse from the Halichoeres genus (assuming you have a sandbed since you've got a couple conchs). Super active swimmers, a huge variety of colors available, and helpful with pest control.

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank? If it's a standard 120 (4'x2' footprint), then a blue hippo will outgrow that tank.

I would definitely recommend a wrasse from the Halichoeres genus (assuming you have a sandbed since you've got a couple conchs). Super active swimmers, a huge variety of colors available, and helpful with pest control.
Yeah it’s a 4’x2’, Wanted a blue tang but don’t want to torture it with too small of a tank. Are there any other tangs that are similar and would be able to fit? And yes, I have a 3” sandbed.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s a 4’x2’, Wanted a blue tang but don’t want to torture it with too small of a tank. Are there any other tangs that are similar and would be able to fit? And yes, I have a 3” sandbed.
If you have your heart set on a blue tang, you could get a baby captive bred one from Biota and keep it until it outgrows your tank. It will outgrow your tank eventually, but I don't know how long it will take. If you'd rather get fish that you can keep for their whole lifespan, I think your tang options in a 4'x2' footprint are a little more limited. A single tang or a group of 3 will likely do better than 2, because they will be more likely to spread out their aggression. If you decide to do more than 1, definitely introduce them at the same time.

Any from the Ctenochaetus genus (or bristletooth) will do well, but I'm pretty sure you'd only want to pick a max of one from each genus, which can get tricky because the Ctenochaetus and Zebrasoma are the only two tang genera with species that stay small enough their entire lifespan to thrive in that size tank. One other way to do several would be to do a small school of zebrasomas (such as Yellows), because they do school. One specific species from the Acanthurus genera that stays smaller and has a peaceful reputation is the convict tang, so that would be a way to do 3 tangs from three different genera (a bristletooth, a yellow, and a convict).

I have the same exact size footprint tank (take a look at my build thread if you want to see some videos showing how the fish behave) in a lagoon height. Less water volume because it's shorter, but the same amount of swimming room. I'm pretty heavily stocked, but my only tang is a Biota captive bred yellow (Jeff Goldblum).

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back