125 gal reseal

jfister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to reseal a 125 gallon tank I got for cheap but I haven't done one in probably 20 years. It's also much larger then anything I have ever resealed before. I have already picked up the sealant. I'm just a little apprehensive about it. Can everyone give me some tips and tricks before I start. Also can I leave it over night without being resealed. I worry about trying to rush and get it done in one evening.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank leak now?

Are you just looking to reseal the inside of the tank (as opposed to taking the tank apart and resealing the entire tank)?

You need to clean out all the old silicone really, REALLY well (with razor blades or other serious and sharp scrappers). New silicone does NOT stick to old silicone very well at all.

I'd suggest it takes several hours to scrape clean. Then a wipe down with something like alcohol to get all the residue and oil from your skin out of the tank. Let it dry completely and then seal it and give it the proper cure time (whatever the silicone you are using suggests).

BTW, you are using good quality silicone, like RTV silicone and not the stuff available at HD or Lowes. That stuff won't hold up well over time.

OP
OP
jfister

jfister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping that is just need a inner reseal. I would hate to have to take the tank apart. I have never done that before. The sealant i am using is ASI black i got from BRS. I am kinda looking for someone local to come over to help me out. I would pay in money or tasty beverages. I have picked up some scrapers and plenty of razor blades. The last tank i did this to was a 40 breeder. Needless to say that was a lot easier job than this one. Would it be ok to scrape one day and then the next seal?

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY King on YouTube. I just watched his video on how to reseal a tank and then I resealed my first tank ever and it is flawless. Now, it took me a lot longer because I was really nervous and wanted to make sure the surface was very clean before I applied the new silicone but the video is outstanding.

tjonw6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not too bad. Like others said, scrape well, wipe down edges with alcohol/fingernail polish remover, scrape again if necessary and tape off either side of the caulk line to prevent excess silicone from getting on display panels. Might want to look at a quality silicone, many have recommended ASI (thats what I've used). I also use a 1/4" pvc pipe cut to 8"L to give a nice clean and consistent radius on the caulk line instead of running my finger down the bead. Good luck!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back