125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is also my third tank in 2 years without spending money except for a new sump.

LOL sweet...

When I had a 55 I bought a 135 and 240 which I ended up using neither and selling for what I paid for them.

I did buy a 200 gallon used Trigger Systems sump which I ended up using on the 470.

Actually built the website for the guy who built my 470 as a trade. Too bad he passed away last year.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering she home schools and doesn't go to conferences, I can't just pull a @Projects with Sam ... If I came home with a 200+ gallon tank she probably wouldn't care as long as I got a good deal - she might make me tear down the 110 until the 125 is transferred to the new tank. She probably wouldn't let me buy new equipment though so I'd have to use the MH....
That would be quite the swap. probably a hard sell for most, even if they do leave the house regularly.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
LOL sweet...

When I had a 55 I bought a 135 and 240 which I ended up using neither and selling for what I paid for them.

I did buy a 200 gallon used Trigger Systems sump which I ended up using on the 470.

Actually built the website for the guy who built my 470 as a trade. Too bad he passed away last year.
When we moved 6 years ago we had a garage sale. I sold 80+ tanks to a teacher ranging from 3 gallons to 75 gallons. Then I sold several 10, 20, and 29 gallon tanks. After tossing the first 125 onto a boulder and setting up this 125 I only have 8 tanks left in the garage. The 5 gallon is going to work soon - either set it back up as a reef tank again or go with a freshwater Cherry Shrimp and some Ember tetras or something. The 90 is supposedly going to a friend (if he ever picks it up). The 40 may become a Leopard or Eyelash gecko tank eventually. The 20 will become a QT, a 10 will be a QT, and the 15 will be a ATO/dosing tank. Hopefully I'll get my daughter to clean her room and set up the 30 gallon BiOrb soon.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I should start looking for like a 250 or something. With the MH (250 watt I think) and my Noopsyche lights I have enough light... If you guys haven't heard from me in a couple of days, check my backyard for recent excavations.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we moved 6 years ago we had a garage sale. I sold 80+ tanks to a teacher ranging from 3 gallons to 75 gallons. Then I sold several 10, 20, and 29 gallon tanks. After tossing the first 125 onto a boulder and setting up this 125 I only have 8 tanks left in the garage. The 5 gallon is going to work soon - either set it back up as a reef tank again or go with a freshwater Cherry Shrimp and some Ember tetras or something. The 90 is supposedly going to a friend (if he ever picks it up). The 40 may become a Leopard or Eyelash gecko tank eventually. The 20 will become a QT, a 10 will be a QT, and the 15 will be a ATO/dosing tank. Hopefully I'll get my daughter to clean her room and set up the 30 gallon BiOrb soon.
She still hasn't cleaned that room?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I thought you were going with herpes before I got to the penicillin… I see we still have some getting to know each other :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I sometimes hear this same thing from people that have known me 25 years. I'm like a chameleon. Sometimes.
(Please, no Boy George songs!)

Welcome. I think I understand why you don't have your own build thread.
Robert Pattinson GIF by NETFLIX

I am too dumb to be scared. I am also very tough. If you're going to be dumb you better be tough.

I have not had a reef set up since 2018. This is a long story. Prior to that I owned and/or maintained a multitude of FOWLRs and reefs from 1988 to 2004. Then again from 2006 until 2018. I'll send you a shiny dime if you can figure out why I stopped from 2004 to 2006!

I did a few FW planted tanks from 2018-2021. We then moved to Florida.

I am contemplating an 84 x 36 x 24 tank. I have not made any determination as to whether I want to make it a reef or another FW planted tank. There are many variables that come into play with this decision. I suspect it will be another couple of months before I make a final decision. If I do decide to go with a reef then I may downsize a bit as I don't really want to incur the costs of setting up, stocking and maintaining a 315. However, I can be quite the frugal shopper and bargain hunter when need be so who knows.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering she home schools and doesn't go to conferences, I can't just pull a @Projects with Sam ... If I came home with a 200+ gallon tank she probably wouldn't care as long as I got a good deal - she might make me tear down the 110 until the 125 is transferred to the new tank. She probably wouldn't let me buy new equipment though so I'd have to use the MH....

Which MH fixtures and ballasts do you own?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Which MH fixtures and ballasts do you own?
I forget. It's in the garage with the tanks. I think it's an older CoralVue fixture - pretty sure it's 250 - with 3 moonlights and 2 50 watt VHO T5s.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tossing the first 125 onto a boulder and setting up this 125 I only have 8 tanks left in the garage.

He does not lie @nuxx . You may want to keep him away from any tanks you might have laying around!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I meet you a couple of things are going to happen. Namely, a swift kick to your d**k and then a punch to your throat.
It wasn't Boy George... That was the only stipulation you gave. I adhered to your very specific directions.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does not lie @nuxx . You may want to keep him away from any tanks you might have laying around!

LOL

The 135 I had was a weird shape and needed so much scratch work done, just said screw it.

The 240 looked to have a bad seam, and ended up selling it to somebody who wanted to fix it.

Feel both would have been too small for where I finally went going with the tank.

Used systems posts sure are dangerous and always made me be impulsive and I just stopped looking and bought new only lol

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't Boy George... That was the only stipulation you gave. I adhered to your very specific directions.

Yes, you are right. My mistake. I was actually wrong the first time anyways. After thinking about it for a second, I recalled that it's actually a Culture Club song. So, in the spirit of forgiveness, I will only kick you in the d**k!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, you are right. My mistake. I was actually wrong the first time anyways. After thinking about it for a second, I recalled that it's actually a Culture Club song. So, in the spirit of forgiveness, I will only kick you in the d**k!
Deal!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dang!

When I shut stuff down I had : 470 + 200 sump, 150 frag + 75 sump and probably 20 tanks ranging from 10 to 40 gallons. All were used to some degree of QT of frag tanks. Ended up 20 longs and 40 breeders were my go to tanks for QT.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL

The 135 I had was a weird shape and needed so much scratch work done, just said screw it.

The 240 looked to have a bad seam, and ended up selling it to somebody who wanted to fix it.

Feel both would have been too small for where I finally went going with the tank.

Used systems posts sure are dangerous and always made me be impulsive and I just stopped looking and bought new only lol

That kind of takes a lot of the excitement of laying in bed at night thinking, "Gee, I wonder if tonight is the night a seam on the 300 blows out!" ;)

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kind of takes a lot of the excitement of laying in bed at night thinking, "Gee, I wonder if tonight is the night a seam on the 300 blows out!" ;)

Had enough times when I was filling up a 50 gallon drum with RODI for either my automatic water change water or ATO water and forgot about it.

Wife wasn't happy to water all over the laundry room.

You'd think after the first time I'd install a float on those drums... nope... took like 5-6 spills before I did it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back