OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loaded up my refugium today. No I now have 8 macros. Ulva growing in display the chetao. The new macro additions are in a picture listed in latin for research purposes. I got the seasonal sampler from liveplants.com as well as the blue/purple photosynthetic sponge. I also got 10 ceriths for the display. So the turbo can be full time in the sump with the star. It might be overkill but I'm hoping to have to dose for the macros. Once they are all established and stable I want to plumb a 40b into what I have going and a single puffer. I love puffers. That's the reason I'm going all in on this tank. 3 ecos in a synchronized system. And hopefully I can stop running carbon and allluminum oxide with the natural filters and export. The next few weeks of testing phosphates will let me know. I'm already running low nitrate to combat phosphates. Something about a protein skimmer. I just don't like them.

OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LTA wasted away in a 2 day times pan after I added aluminum oxide in the form of phosguard. My phosphate was at around 3. Since that loss and almost loosing my bta I ordered a lb of sodium nitrate. I use this to keep nitrates at 10. I dilute 1/8 a tsp when nitrates are at 5 it takes them up to around 10. Since doing this my phosphates have been reading around 0.05. I am still battling cyano. I added Collospongia; a photosynthetic sponge. My phytoplankton culture arrives today. I hope these 2 methods remove the cyano. If not I'm going to have to use filter floss which I'm sure will turn into me using a protein skimmer. (My goal was to have all natural filtration supplemented with carbon as needed to remove toxins.)

OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's where we sit.... some sad losses with the heater bust. 60 dollar heater designed for saltwater so I expected better. Expensive titanium heaters are the way to go when you lose $300 or so in coral and inverts. I feel I also had adverse effects using products containing aluminum oxide. My total losses were 4 sexy shrimp, 1 LTA, and some hermit crabs and snails. And all of my stoney corals except for my blastos
20240411_173741.jpg 20240411_173735.jpg 20240411_173725.jpg 20240411_173719.jpg 20240410_174211.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this lantern basslet. I have wanted one for a while, I saw one being bullied by a purple dottyback. It's got some bite marks on the fins but ate some mysis today. It's the blur in the middle. Still very shy.

20240415_064006.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back