OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like their split return, just wish it was a true split with the ability to run two return pumps for redundancy (I like trying to break up everything between two for backup redundancy)
I hear you, equipment fails and at the worst times.

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest water test.
Temp: 77.5 - 78.5
Salinity: 34 1.025
PH: 8.5 Hanna Checker
Alk: 9.8 Red sea test
CA: 420 Red sea test
MG: 1480 Red sea test
Nitrates: 25 Red sea test
Phosphates: 0.11 Hanna Checker UL

Battling GHA and Cyanobacteria. The GHA is the biggest issue and the increased water changes were not cutting it. The Bio Pellet reactor hasn't kicked in either. I think I can live with the higher nitrates over the higher phosphates. Hoping the NO3 will balance out over time. The Phosphates were getting to .35 or so. I looked for products to help with the increase. Chose Phosphate RX by Blue Life to reduce it. So far I like the results. It reduce the PO4 to a more acceptable level. I notice a reduction in the GHA after using the RX. Reducing the PO4 is helping cut the growth of the GHA and the corals seem to react better when it is lowered. Next for the Cyano growing on the rocks I am going to use Clemiclean to kill it off. it isn't a major issue but, I am placing my hands in the tank more than I like blowing it off the rocks. I didn't want to add chemicals to the tank but needed a little help. I am still working on managing the increase nutrients in the tank. I have reduced feeding, I was a very heavy feeder. I have been adding nitrifying bacteria during every 10% water change. It is AquaForest Pro Bio S Probiotic Bacteria. Hoping to replace or add to the tank the needed bacteria for the bio load and Bio Pellet reactor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tank cover from BRS. I've had it around for a while and need to put it together. I have lost three fish already from jumping. A Tomini Tang a tank jumper, Bi-color Blenny a tank jumper, and Starry Blenny a tank jumper. They were a few of my favorite. Hoping to make time for the construction to save the rest of my live stock.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done thread! Following along. Are you still using the Inkbird? I've noticed that the temp fluctuations can be drastic. Probe is reading 79 but when tested with another (higher grade) thermometer it shows 74. I find myself having to calibrate it every couple of weeks or so.

Also, you should look into a par meter. BRS rents them, it may help (if you haven't already remedied) with dialing in your lights so you know exactly what you're getting from them. Just throwing that out there. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done thread! Following along. Are you still using the Inkbird? I've noticed that the temp fluctuations can be drastic. Probe is reading 79 but when tested with another (higher grade) thermometer it shows 74. I find myself having to calibrate it every couple of weeks or so.

Also, you should look into a par meter. BRS rents them, it may help (if you haven't already remedied) with dialing in your lights so you know exactly what you're getting from them. Just throwing that out there. Keep up the good work!
Funny that you mention the inkbird, I was going to post a issue with the fluctuations in the near future. I have found that it loses calibration a lot. I have to adjust it about every month or so. I have it about 12 degrees different in Temperature Calibration (CA) setting than the two other thermometers in the tank. At first it took me some time to figure why my temp was slowly going down. Once I found the Temperature Calibration (CA) setting, read it, and adjusted it I was relieved it wasn't the heaters. I want to find another temp control to replace it, but it is all about time and money.
20190331_074514.jpg

The par meter rental form BRS is a good idea. I want to do that or get a Seneye monitor. Still a factor of time and money. I really have a plan to replace my lights as I am going to build other tanks. I want a couple of smaller tanks and want to get a bigger tank (180). I would transfer the kessils to a smaller tank. I have a 40 breeder waiting for retired parts from my current tank. When I upgrade the pumps, lights, etc. I will use them as a back up or on other tanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the Cyanobacteria and algae clears off the rocks I see an army of aiptasia and mojano anemones that I need to fight. It is funny that they were hidden in the rocks using the algae as cover. I didn't have a ton but, enough surprised sighting that makes me nervous. We can only treat the ones we can see and I will be eradicating them for the life of this tank.

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bone head move.... I haven't recalibrated my refractometer in quite awhile. Well it has been off for a few months. I guess I have been lazy. Now my two tanks have a salinity of about 1.021/1.023. I have been trying to keep it at 1.026. This could be another reason why some corals are failing. Darn, I will need to calibrate othen to maintain prefect readings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS … not happy about the Torch coral that I lost. It would have been the biggest and oldest coral in the tank. It was on the left side.
20190403_173749.jpg

And the 10 gal soft coral holding tank
20190403_173803.jpg

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest water test.
Temp: 76.5 - 77.5
Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.4 Hanna Checker
Alk: 9.8 Red sea test
CA: 440 Red sea test
MG: 1480 Red sea test
Nitrates: 24 Red sea test
Phosphates: 0.12 Hanna Checker UL

Tank and corals looking better. I still need to lower the PO4 and NO3. Thinking I should run GFO in with my carbon.

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the inkbird temperature control has died. The alarm was going off this morning and the temperature was 75.3 degrees. I tried to calibrate it, set it, and adjust it. I got to the point of just remove it. Now just using the heater thermostats. I will be looking into other options.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. I’m loving everything I see. Can’t wait to see where you take this tank!!!

Quick suggestion re the 3 qt tanks: I believe you had said you’re going with 1 for corals, 1 for fish, 1 for inverts? I myself only have 1 qt so I’m certainly not judging but I’ve learned that, during treatment w copper, it’s best to have a sterile tank to move the fish into after the meds. Something about certain life stages of parasites possibly surviving treatment. I’m no expert. In a pinch, I’ve used a bucket qt while I disinfected and dried main qt. It’s hectic scrambling to get main qt done ASAP. Wish I had more room, equipment, budget, time lol

Can’t wait for more pics

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. I’m loving everything I see. Can’t wait to see where you take this tank!!!

Quick suggestion re the 3 qt tanks: I believe you had said you’re going with 1 for corals, 1 for fish, 1 for inverts? I myself only have 1 qt so I’m certainly not judging but I’ve learned that, during treatment w copper, it’s best to have a sterile tank to move the fish into after the meds. Something about certain life stages of parasites possibly surviving treatment. I’m no expert. In a pinch, I’ve used a bucket qt while I disinfected and dried main qt. It’s hectic scrambling to get main qt done ASAP. Wish I had more room, equipment, budget, time lol

Can’t wait for more pics

The three tanks have been reduced to two. One tank now is a soft coral holding because the Golden Head Goby kept burying everything in sand.
All of the fish came from one store. I place them in qt to observe them and only treat them with copper if necessary. I do add a reef safe Probiotic Marine Formula to the qt.
The I stopped qt ing corals, which I shouldn't have, before adding. I dip, inspect, then add to the tank. If I would have qt them I might have been able to catch and treat pest animones.
I agree with everything you stated. There are things I would like to do, things I do do and things I should do. Not all in that order and it all changes.

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After removing the Inkbird controller I have had a big temperature swing. It swung from 75 degrees to 82 degrees. When the temp hit 82 I had to place a fan on the tank's surface. I am in a period of adjusting the two heaters in the sump. Right now it is reading 80 degrees. I will be adjusting the thermostats another tick down. I am trying to get it around 78-79 degrees. I didn't think adjusting two heaters in the flow of the sump would be so touchy.

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now got the temperature set at a consistent 78.5 to 79.5 reading....

I had my first water leak on Sunday. I placed the sump overflow lid on too tight and it prevented the tank water from the rest of the sump. It leaked out about two gallons of tank water on the carpeting over the side of the sump. It was leaking for maybe about three to four hours. I had to vacuum up excess water and towel everything off. I am running a fan and dehumidifier. Had Salt water ready for a water change in the afternoon, so I was able to add the lost salt water and finish out the water change. It could have been worse.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back