1370 gallon propagation system

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up regarding the heater. What causes it? Moisture?
I think it is the moisture. It was blamed on the salt in the air. I personally do not believe that. I have over 2500 gallons of saltwater in my home with a high end dehumidifying system and have zero problems with anything.
The other thing that you may/may not have to worry about, I'm not sure of your climate. It gets really cold here, down into the teens and single digits for a few months. The heat exchanger is open to the outdoors, therefore when it is not running it gets cold and condenses moisture on it. The older units with pilot lights did not seem to have that problem because the pilot was enough to keep it warm and drafting out instead of in.
Otherwise, your setup is looking great!
Also from my experiences I have found out that most fish and corals will tolerate the dips in temperature just fine for short periods of time. Even down into the mid 60s for a day or two with no I'll effects. I'm sure it's not a good habit to get into but not the end of the world if it does happen.

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Dussumier Tang and found a mate for my female Watanabei angel. 4 boxes of Aussie acros arrived today along with blastos and a show stopper micromussa. One of the bags leaked water and is completely empty when it arrived. However the millie in there survived! Gas heater arriving Tuesday. So hopefully by next week water temp. will be finally at 76-78 degrees. So far current temp. around 69 to 71 with the use of propane forced air heater on and off. All corals and fishes are fine. Acro polyps still extending. Have to slowly acclimate them back to higher temp. next week.
IMG_0389.JPG IMG_0390.JPG IMG_0392.JPG

tristanfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing/mind blowing. I would love to pick your brain since I've been planning to build something like this. (Or dreaming about it. Or you can consult... Let me know

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater installation setback. I thought there was a 1" pipe 25' away from where the heater will hang. Took apart a wall and it's all 1/2" line. The water heater line where I'm suppose to T off is all 1/2". Not really sure where the location of 1" pipe that goes into the building . Not about to tear apart the second floor for that. Now I have to get a plumber to install 1.25" pipe around 70' in length but have to wait until the gas company checks if my gas meter will handle the volume of gas needed. This really sucks. I have to always go late at night to fire up the forced air propane heater and wait a few hours.
Anyways. New additions. Advance Acrylics 96"X24"X6" frag tank and a rimless 30"X30"X12" tank.
Lost the achilles tang two days ago. Poor guy was active and eating but I guess if water temp drops to 69 degrees, you can only take so much. Though I have a kole eye tang, sixline wrasse, and a malanurus wrasse in a separate system with 65 degree water. All of them are doing fine.
IMG_0431[1].JPG IMG_0432[1].JPG IMG_0433[1].JPG

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on my fish cubicle system and most of the plumbing are done. Water temp dropped as low as 68 degrees. All acroporas are well. Two chalice started to recede and moved them at home in my 300G. Lost my Red Coris Wrasse, Achilles and Powder Blue Tang. The colder water stressed them too much and ich finally won the battle after a week. Still waiting for the Gas Company to size up my gas meter. They are not coming until Dec. 16. Plumber is waiting for the Gas Company to give the green light before starting work. Livestock just have to hang on until then. Oh well. Just ordered 2 1500 watt titanium heaters to help keep the temp. up hopefully.
IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0457.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0458[1].JPG

Last edited:

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great!! are you importing yourself or getting stock from US distributors/wholesalers?

didnt realize in the beginning, that you were going full tilt!! opening a shop, or whats the game plan? love the progress

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
US
looking great!! are you importing yourself or getting stock from US distributors/wholesalers?

didnt realize in the beginning, that you were going full tilt!! opening a shop, or whats the game plan? love the progress
US wholesaler. Don't want to deal with CITES for importing livestocks. Going full tilt was not really the plan but it just somehow progresses that way. It will be a shop for now. LOL

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice. i figured you were using a US wholesaler or three, but ya never know.
things get outta hand fast sometimes, lol ive been there.
so, im guessing you have tax id, resale permit, etc. or did ya manage to find a lax distributor? wish there was more reef action up here in way NorCal, id consider a small prop system/business. good luck, youre off to a great start

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice. i figured you were using a US wholesaler or three, but ya never know.
things get outta hand fast sometimes, lol ive been there.
so, im guessing you have tax id, resale permit, etc. or did ya manage to find a lax distributor? wish there was more reef action up here in way NorCal, id consider a small prop system/business. good luck, youre off to a great start
Oh yes I am a legit a store with a website and a name. I have 5 wholesale accounts and will add more later. Just not open yet since I'm dealing with this heating issue. Livestock purchasing is put on hold. This is not my first business. I have three others. This shop unit was vacant at my building and decided to just use it for myself and put my office at the loft. Might as well open another business than rent it out again.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, maybe I need to move to SB, need an assistant?! lol
what kind of restaurant?
been working with food most my life(cooking, farming, more). reefing is my main hobby, but as stated earlier would love to make it more. and have always thought about getting into real estate and imports.
I gotta get outta the 'boldt, too far away from everything!

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, maybe I need to move to SB, need an assistant?! lol
what kind of restaurant?
been working with food most my life(cooking, farming, more). reefing is my main hobby, but as stated earlier would love to make it more. and have always thought about getting into real estate and imports.
I gotta get outta the 'boldt, too far away from everything!

I was in the restaurant trade/sushi chef for 2o years. Too much work. Had enough and left my Japanese restaurant to my business partner. I've been reefing for 13 years none stop. From 20 gallons to 300 gallons at home and now this. LOL. Real estate is tough and have to time it very well. Having experience in handy work and construction will help alot with saving money. This also applies in restaurants as well as reefing I suppose.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the restaurant trade/sushi chef for 2o years. Too much work. Had enough and left my Japanese restaurant to my business partner. I've been reefing for 13 years none stop. From 20 gallons to 300 gallons at home and now this. LOL. Real estate is tough and have to time it very well. Having experience in handy work and construction will help alot with saving money. This also applies in restaurants as well as reefing I suppose.

indeed to all that. being handy and having construction experience helps with so much!! I couldnt imagine if I had to call a worker or handy man every time something needed to be done.
restaurants are indeed too much work, rewarding but chaotic. Ive got plans to get back into the food scene, but not at the restaurant level. packaged/prepared foods, catering, supper club/popup possibly, but not a restaurant.
real estate has always been a "dream" and of course would take some education, money and great timing. But I've always been great at networking and connecting the dots(people) so to speak. seemed like it might be a natural fit. but Id probably rather have my arm in a tank all day!

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word. Pizza! If legislation passes late 2016. Since you are into food and farming. You have to incorporate your skills. LOL

JaihWill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build out so far, totally stoked about this post. Could you offer any advice for importing?

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word. Pizza! If legislation passes late 2016. Since you are into food and farming. You have to incorporate your skills. LOL

pizza?! definitely on the radar. Make pizzas at home weekly. but you lost me with the pizza to legalization thing. I do agree pizza is a pretty decent business model, with great profit potential.

a medibles line is already in the works/plans. totally plan on bringing all the skillsets into one/two businesses.

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pizza?! definitely on the radar. Make pizzas at home weekly. but you lost me with the pizza to legalization thing. I do agree pizza is a pretty decent business model, with great profit potential.

a medibles line is already in the works/plans. totally plan on bringing all the skillsets into one/two businesses.
Since you are located in Humbolt. Look into pizza sales in Colorado and Washington!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back