14 gallon cube build - Low Tech [almost] Everything!

mattd017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm getting back into the hobby after about a decade, and I've been given the green light to do a small tank (with the promise that in the next few years I can upgrade to a much bigger tank). So, I'm going softies/LPS with low tech everything besides lights. Using my old knowledge, I think it'll be cool to DIY everything but the lights and heater, cuz that's pretty close to impossible, and the stand, since these days it costs almost as much in lumber to build your own as it would to buy a decent cheap one.
So, here's staging of about 2/3 of my equipment:
20211101_094036.jpg
20211101_094054.jpg
20211101_093936.jpg

Still need to get: Filtration (going homemade canister with a large-ish prefilter), plumbing, DIY Chaeto reactor, and mesh top. Lights are in the mail.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice start

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just made a post saying I want to do something like this. Does the brand matter if you're going the DIY approach? Glass is glass...IM and Red Sea are all in Toronto or online.

OP
OP
M

mattd017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just made a post saying I want to do something like this. Does the brand matter if you're going the DIY approach? Glass is glass...IM and Red Sea are all in Toronto or online.
I don't think so. Not for this, for me, anyway. I went with a $80 rimless 14gal cube from Aqueon (on their 50% off sale). My next tank will probably be a waterbox 180. Cuz why not go about as big as your floor can handle.

Only things name brand I'm getting are pretty minor. The return pump (Sicce Syncra 1.5), reefbreeders ATO and chaeto reactor light, and inkbird therm controller.

Still waiting on some things in the mail and the box store near me was out of 2 of the pvc fittings I need. Once they're in, I'm building and will post some pics.

OP
OP
M

mattd017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So, after buying all the fittings, the 3.5 gallon bucket, assembling the stand, drilling the bucket and dry fitting everything, I'm changing my plans. The stand is too narrow for the diy canister idea. It takes up like 85% of the width, so adding a pump, pre-filter, etc would be waaaaaaay too cramped. So, I'm going to use some old acrylic I have from other projects to make it an AIO. I still plan on doing a chaeto reactor in the near future. But for now, just getting the AIO setup will be enough of a project.

Now for a trip to Menards to return a ton of pvc fittings.

OP
OP
M

mattd017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, however, get this done
20211107_113113.jpg
20211107_113105.jpg
20211107_113057.jpg

All in all, decent progress for only having about 3 hours free this weekend. Only wasted about $20 on stuff I can't return due to holes being drilled into them. ‍♂️

OP
OP
M

mattd017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woof. The acrylic sheet I had was too thin. Cut it down and picked it up from one side. Only about 14.5" wide, and it had a nice huge bow to it. Not going to trust that in the tank. So, I ordered a 3/16" (~4.75mm) thick sheet and have to wait cuz I couldn't find a black sheet and didn't want a clear one...

Stay tuned ;Yawn

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. Not for this, for me, anyway. I went with a $80 rimless 14gal cube from Aqueon (on their 50% off sale). My next tank will probably be a waterbox 180. Cuz why not go about as big as your floor can handle.

Only things name brand I'm getting are pretty minor. The return pump (Sicce Syncra 1.5), reefbreeders ATO and chaeto reactor light, and inkbird therm controller.

Still waiting on some things in the mail and the box store near me was out of 2 of the pvc fittings I need. Once they're in, I'm building and will post some pics.
Nice how is that set-up going ? I am about to buy a 14g rimless from Petco with the black Friday sale. and was trying to find marine builds for this tank to get ideas for a build.

any tips?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattd017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice how is that set-up going ? I am about to buy a 14g rimless from Petco with the black Friday sale. and was trying to find marine builds for this tank to get ideas for a build.

any tips?
Slowly. We have a 2 month old and work is kinda crazy right now. I get an hour or two once or twice a week to work on it. That being said, it's coming. I'll be working on my aquascape a bit later today (I hope), creating a few more caves for the livestock and a couple shelves for corals. My acrylic sheet just got here today, so hopefully I can cut it to size over the long weekend. I'll post some pics when I can.

OP
OP
M

mattd017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got exactly 90 minutes to work on the build over a 4 day weekend. What a wonderful time to get back into the hobby, after having a second child...

Anyway, I changed my plans again after trying to get the aquascape to look decent with losing 3" of the 15" depth of the aquarium. I have an empty closet behind the aquarium and I'm going to run the hosing through the wall and go back to the DIY canister filter. Wife's not thrilled, but it's in my office and she never comes in here... so I win this round.

I did get my lights though! Noo-Psyche 75W on their sale (was around $120 with the controller). So that's exciting!

20211129_093909.jpg

Back