14G Bowfront Nano Reef

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like a happy blenny! Glad to see she has friends now. I'm a big fan of PNS stuffs even though that stuff smells like a basket of rotten eggs in a sauna. I've been using their Pro Bio for months as a form of nutrient management and also as a coral food

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a happy blenny! Glad to see she has friends now. I'm a big fan of PNS stuffs even though that stuff smells like a basket of rotten eggs in a sauna. I've been using their Pro Bio for months as a form of nutrient management and also as a coral food
The smell is absolutely awful, and lingers a little after opening. I like that they’re shelf stable so easy to keep with the rest of my supplies. And a bottle will last me forever! I’ll have to look into the rest of their products, but so far pretty happy with how things are going.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking clowns!
Thank you! Of course I can’t remember exactly what morph they are, but I’m pretty sure the one was a Frostbite, and the smaller one is a Snowflake. I love the contrast that they provide, and the white one will pop nice one I get corals in there.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing and water change day! Everything is going well, no major things to report. 4 gallons changed out, added a dose of LifeSource. Decided to add one more rock in to make an additional swim-through for the fish and to break up the flow from the powerhead a bit. Otherwise, just chugging along.

IMG_3019.jpeg

IMG_3022.jpeg

Glare from the window made it hard to photograph, but I’ll try to get better pics once the water clears up and it gets dark out.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some unfortunate news to report… my small snowflake clown died. I was doing some work on the tank a few days ago, and something scared him and he went dashing into the rock work and got stuck! Initially I was just letting him figure out how to get unstuck, but he kept wedging himself deeper until I noticed him not moving. I carefully used my long forceps to dislodge him, but it looked like he had injured his right gills. I’m so upset that this happened. He was so fun to watch swimming with the other clown.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up going this weekend to the LFS and getting a replacement clownfish. No name yet, but Marlin seems glad to have a friend again.

IMG_3078.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

New clown is a Flurry, which appearance-wise looks very nice with the Frostbite. Also picked up two mexican turbos and 5 Nassarius snails. I think 2 turbos might be too much, but we’ll see how they do. I can always take 1 back if needed.

Did a large water change and sand siphoning. Dosed PNS substrate and AquaForest LifeSource. Inhabitants are all doing well at this point. Still need to set up the mini frag tank. I got my AI blade grow in and I’m excited to start playing with it. Hopefully will get that going next weekend. This weekend I plan on replacing my car stereo/head unit (which I’ve never done), so that may take some time. Wish me luck!

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up going this weekend to the LFS and getting a replacement clownfish. No name yet, but Marlin seems glad to have a friend again.

IMG_3078.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

New clown is a Flurry, which appearance-wise looks very nice with the Frostbite. Also picked up two mexican turbos and 5 Nassarius snails. I think 2 turbos might be too much, but we’ll see how they do. I can always take 1 back if needed.

Did a large water change and sand siphoning. Dosed PNS substrate and AquaForest LifeSource. Inhabitants are all doing well at this point. Still need to set up the mini frag tank. I got my AI blade grow in and I’m excited to start playing with it. Hopefully will get that going next weekend. This weekend I plan on replacing my car stereo/head unit (which I’ve never done), so that may take some time. Wish me luck!
I think 2 Mexican turbos is too much. I had snails in my 60g of which 1 was a Mexican turbo and I could barely support the Mexican turbo. They eat a lot of algae although they only eat a few types. In a nano, I'd think 1 would be enough but 2 could work. I would monitor it.

Plus make sure you got nassarius vibex. I've had some bad experiences recently getting other nassarius species or even whelks that would even eat my cleaner shrimps.

Overall though, your tank is looking good. Good choice of fish. Neon gobies would've been nice too. Honestly, they are small enough that 1 might still be worth considering.

OP
OP
kanders87

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning feeding time! Everyone is still doing fine with the new additions.
IMG_3089.jpeg

IMG_3087.jpeg
IMG_3090.jpeg

IMG_3091.jpeg

IMG_3095.jpeg

You can barely see my fire shrimp on the back of the rocks, just hiding out.

The turbos are going to have to go back. They are just way to big for this tank. Once I get corals in, they’re just going to bulldoze everything. I’ll probably look for trochus instead. I just need something to help a little with the rockwork.

IMG_3086.jpeg

I checked out Melev’s Reef (has a nice write up about nassarius vs whelks) and these are definitely nassarius, though still not 100% which species. But they are also doing well. It’s fun to see their little stalks sticking out of the sand. They dig out in a hurry when it’s feeding time!
IMG_3094.jpeg

Current Stock:
2 clownfish
1 tail spot blenny
1 peppermint shrimp
1 fire shrimp
1 porcelain crab
2 mexican turbos (will be getting returned)
5 nassarius snails

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back