15 Alk too high?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only trying to figure out where that agitation on the water surface lowering alk came from, I assumed something like that was the inspiration for that. I know it to be mythology

I can think of two reasons someone might believe that.

A while back, Albert Thiel claimed adding CO2 lowered alk and actually advised folks to add soda water to lower alk if it was high. He clearly misunderstood the CO2/alk relationship, and others may have gotten the idea from him, or they both got it from the same place. I think this bad advice is still lurking on the internet.

Some folks confuse alkalinity and alkaline. Agitation can impact pH (acid/alkaline balance) and someone may have misunderstood what alkalinity actually is.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ok. Got the RODI machine and drained the tank. There is a little water left at the bottom that I cannot take out but thats ok right? I started making water so we will see how it goes. Thanks everyone!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a picture of what your doing?
are you mixing salt in the tank after its full?
Do you have rock and sand in it?

My advice on filling things with r.o.

its easy to get distracted, I've flooded places. Do yourself a favor and set a timer. When I do small 5g buckets it takes me about 20m so I set a 15m timer, or watch it but trust me it happens the last time I did, it was bad.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Got a picture of what your doing?
are you mixing salt in the tank after its full?
Do you have rock and sand in it?

My advice on filling things with r.o.

its easy to get distracted, I've flooded places. Do yourself a favor and set a timer. When I do small 5g buckets it takes me about 20m so I set a 15m timer, or watch it but trust me it happens the last time I did, it was bad.
Not home so don’t have a pic but yes I’m putting timers. I’m gonna mix salt into the tank. I can probably take out the rocks but there will be sand in there. Any advice on how to do that?

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yes it will be fine. just go slowly, you don't want to dump it in so it clumps up in the sand. But even then, it will eventually mix in.
Ok. Should I get another bacteria in a bottle? If so which do you recommend? Ammonia too.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not home so don’t have a pic but yes I’m putting timers. I’m gonna mix salt into the tank. I can probably take out the rocks but there will be sand in there. Any advice on how to do that?
Yeah I wouldn't mix it in the tank, i would mix it in 5g buckets @ the tank mix to correct salinity and temperature then add it to the tank.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be more accurate in the tank

More accurate? the amount of water? Im not sure what you mean.. Make more than you need, then make a batch of top off water for the week.you put a powerhead and heater in the bucket, the salt must be mixed well, it makes it more difficult when there are rocks and sand in the way.

Be careful, it sounds like you are also letting it fill up while your not home, im assuming you dont have any fail-safes in place, this is also extremely dangerous and possibly problematic.

I have experience with this, I have flooded several places before, even after telling myself I'd never do it again.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
More accurate? the amount of water? Im not sure what you mean.. Make more than you need, then make a batch of top off water for the week.you put a powerhead and heater in the bucket, the salt must be mixed well, it makes it more difficult when there are rocks and sand in the way.

Be careful, it sounds like you are also letting it fill up while your not home, im assuming you dont have any fail-safes in place, this is also extremely dangerous and possibly problematic.

I have experience with this, I have flooded several places before, even after telling myself I'd never do it again.
It is not filling up when i’m not home. I’m putting it in buckets and I stopped it. I’m taking out the rocks to fill up the tank and mix the salt in the tank. I only have 1 buckets that I am filling up and then will dump in tank.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It is not filling up when i’m not home. I’m putting it in buckets and I stopped it. I’m taking out the rocks to fill up the tank and mix the salt in the tank. I only have 1 buckets that I am filling up and then will dump in tank.
More accurate salt amounts.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yes it will be fine. just go slowly, you don't want to dump it in so it clumps up in the sand. But even then, it will eventually mix in.
Btw for top offs, do I put saltwater or freshwater? I’m asking because I think I read somewhere that when the water evaporates, the salt is left behind. And their point was to add freshwater.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw for top offs, do I put saltwater or freshwater? I’m asking because I think I read somewhere that when the water evaporates, the salt is left behind. And their point was to add freshwater.
Top off with fresh...

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Btw tested the salinity tester with RODI water and it came "calibrated" as it shows 0 when its on there. So it should work right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw tested the salinity tester with RODI water and it came "calibrated" as it shows 0 when its on there. So it should work right?

What device? Many refractometers are not appropriately calibrated with pure fresh water, despite claims to the contrary, since they are not actually made for seawater.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back