15 months in

NaCl addict

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2021
Messages
194
Reaction score
115
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 8-9 months of my first reef tank (65gal) were pretty brutal. Swamp tank ( so green, couldn't see through it), ick breakout that wiped out all my fish (heartbreaking). I couldn't keep any coral, not even the "beginners" alive, even though I would test, test, test. Now, I have figured out a lot and fine tuned things. Inverts & coral are thriving but I just went through another heartbreaking ick infestation. I get my fish from one source. The thing I'm lacking is a quartentine tank which I'm now in the process of cycling. I have about 5-6 favorite fish that I hope to replace in 6 months. It's hard to wait but for now my focus is the coral and inverts.
 
The first 8-9 months of my first reef tank (65gal) were pretty brutal. Swamp tank ( so green, couldn't see through it), ick breakout that wiped out all my fish (heartbreaking). I couldn't keep any coral, not even the "beginners" alive, even though I would test, test, test. Now, I have figured out a lot and fine tuned things. Inverts & coral are thriving but I just went through another heartbreaking ick infestation. I get my fish from one source. The thing I'm lacking is a quartentine tank which I'm now in the process of cycling. I have about 5-6 favorite fish that I hope to replace in 6 months. It's hard to wait but for now my focus is the coral and inverts.
Oh, and I dip all coral.
 
I keep going back and forth with the UV sterilizer idea. It's so 50/50 on the things I've read.
Polyp Lab Medic must be reef safe?
 
Where do you get your fish from? And are there other options nearby?
If all of the fish have had ick, I would try not to limit purchasing from there.
 
Where do you get your fish from? And are there other options nearby?
If all of the fish have had ick, I would try not to limit purchasing from there.
Agreed, but the ich took 4 months to show up. Maybe I had an unstable parameter I wasn't catching.
 
I keep going back and forth with the UV sterilizer idea. It's so 50/50 on the things I've read.
Polyp Lab Medic must be reef safe?
Myself, I run an oversized UV and never quarantine my fish. I have Medic for emergencies only (used it to treat an outbreak of velvet, which ironically, rode in on a batch of quarantined fish - hence why I don't QT anymore). And yes, it's reef safe.

I have a bit different approach with my fish selection, feeding and supplements. When combined with the UV it seems to be very effective. I don't necessarily advocate this route for everyone - but it works for me.
 
UV definitely won’t hurt - but don’t skip the quarantine process. Setup the QT tank so you can vet the fish first, or find a LFS that has a thorough QT process. That will help prevent issues in your display tank
 
I knew in the back of my mind I was taking a risk. One I won't do again
 
There are those that believe every tank has ich in it but it takes other factors to make it go from dormant to active state. I'm 50 50 on this concept. I think fish can build up and have immunity to disease such as ich but stresses cause them to lose their immunity. I really focus on my fish health with proper food and vitamin sources while trying to maintain a stress free environment for them. I think the whole tank ecosystem plays a role in this as PaulB has posted about his decades of success.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new