OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a bit so I thought I'd give an update.
Cycle done!
IMG_5801.JPG

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5805.JPG

Microbacter took 14 days to complete the cycle. I have taken filter media from my sump and used that in the QT tank filter to get it up and ready. I tested the QT tank and it could process 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours, so I would like to introduce......

IMG_5848.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

Owlette and Gecko........ My 4 year old insisted on the names haha.

IMG_5853.JPG

After getting them into the QT tank and letting them adjust for a few hours I fed a mix of pellet food and they ate immediately. I'm out of town for 2-3 days at a time every few weeks so I'd like to have my livestock eating pellets from an auto feeder when I'm gone. I'm very happy that they are active and eating. It will be observation only for the first 2 weeks of QT. With my schedule being somewhat erratic at times I think I will be leaning toward a longer observation quarantine period before proactive treatment and opt for a reactive treatment. When I'm out of town I get some "zoom meeting" time with the fish after I say goodnight to the little ones. My wife has been very helpful with keeping an eye on the 2 new guys when I'm gone. I'm happy to see my kids wanting to be involved as well. They always want to go 'give Owlette and Gecko breakfast' and help with doing the water tests.

IMG_5825.JPG

Starting to break in the skimmer. I'm still fine tuning/learning the apex but the DT is ready for the 2 clowns once QT is done. Next is deciding on an auto feeder. I'm leaning heavily towards the Apex option, any thoughts or opinions? I'm down in Dallas for a few days coming up, any fish stores in the DFW area anyone would recommend checking out?
Once the new guys are in the display, Tang shopping I will go! I'm also wanting to start a clean up crew once the clowns are in the tank and established.
I'll keep the updates coming.

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in the tank now! Looking happy and eating well.
20210703_122850.jpg
20210703_191759.jpg

Now just figuring out the programing for the AFS.

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update but the AFS is in and running.
IMG_5894.JPG

Wow this thing is going to make life easy when out of town!
Camping for a few nights with the family so this will be the first test with the tank going solo. I have a friend coming over each day we are gone to check things out for for piece of mind.
Only 2 clowns in at the moment so once more livestock is in a better plan for feeding will be needed but I'm happy how the tank is progressing.

IMG_5875.JPG

The guys? girls? Still doing great.

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another update. No issues while being away for a few days, the auto feeder did its job and the 2 clowns seemed to look bigger when we got home. I have noticed the sand and rockwork becoming covered with a brown film, diatoms I assume. So in goes the start of a clean up crew. 5 blue leg hermit crabs, 5 astrea snails, 1 sand sifting starfish and 1 pincushion urchin.

IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

I know its not a lot for a tank this size but I'm going to give things a few weeks then probably top up the group with some nassarius snails and more astrea snails.

The QT tank is up and running, getting ready for the next fish. Looking at a couple of tangs, still debating on what type. I don't think a yellow tang is in my future, too much money. Maybe a blue and powder brown. Is a 6 foot tank sufficient for a blue tang? I'm seeing articles saying yes and no for a tank this size. I'm going to try and add at least 2 tangs at once, maybe 3.

I'm also looking into getting my first coral soon. Maybe a leather, GSP or euphyllia.

Names for the starfish and urchin to follow, my wife said she gets to name them this time......not sure what they could be haha.

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clean up crew has been in for a couple days. I'm happy and concerned. The sand bed and rock work is looking great. I was expecting results but not this quickly. I know the starfish is a machine at going through things but I didn't expect the results this quick.

20210719_151445.jpg

20210719_151438.jpg

I was expecting these results a few weeks from now, not days. Should I be concerned with moving forward to quickly? I don't want the starfish to crap out on me so maybe try spot feeding him from time to time?
Any thoughts?

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update, I have 2 new additions! A blue and bristletooth tang. In the QT now. Both are eating and getting along. I was worried about the bristletooth being bigger than the blue in a 20 gal but I haven't seen the slightest form of aggression from either. The bristletooth is much more outgoing than the blue who seem to just hang out in one corner but it has only been a day so I'm not worried. I'm just happy they are both eating right away.

IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5916.JPG

The DT is doing great and I'm starting with some corals this week. I've been shopping for a toadstool leather for my first so the clowns might have a host then a GSP for one of the rock islands. The kids are still in debate over the names of the new additions....... I can only imagine.

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So both tangs are still in QT and things have been going well. I've just noticed that there is a small white spot on one of the fins of the bristletooth. He is still active and eating and there is no sign of anything on the blue tang. I'm using copper power at 1.75- 2.0 ppm (API test isn't the easiest to read) They have been treated this way for the last 2 weeks. I'm wondering if I stay the course and stop the copper treatment after the 21 days I've planned or does this change anything as far as more time in the copper treatment?
Any info would be most appreciated. I've been trying to get a decent pic with no luck over the past hour.

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, both Tangs are in the display and enjoying life. Added a Kenya Tree and some GSP I hope to cover one of my tank side walls with.

IMG_5917.JPG
IMG_5918.JPG

I chose these as a simple starting point. If I can't manage these I've got bigger issues is my thinking.

20210919_164438 (1).jpg

From time to time the Kenya Tree falls over but it's still extended, I'm playing with flow to try and get it back upright. I'm wondering about raising my nitrate and phosphate levels. Both are at 0 and I would like to see a small amount of nitrate and phosphate. This is a problem I didn't think that I would have but I'm going to try more frequent feedings and maybe turning off the skimmer to try to at least up the nitrate level. I was planning on getting a refugium up and running but with my low nutrient levels I guess I'll just wait a bit to see how things go. Next fish is in the works and the QT tank is getting prepped. Some soft corals to get more colour in the tank are in the future as well.

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update...... Aiptasia!!!!

I noticed two next to the GSP. One day nothing the next day boom.

IMG_6175.JPG

20210929_123929.jpg

Pictures are not the best but after some Aiptasia X they are no longer around. I was very impressed with how it worked. It's been about 2 weeks since I have used it and no new sightings to report............fingers crossed.
I have added an Elegance Coral recently and am enjoying the colour and movement. All my parameters have been bang on and stable so I figured this could be my first start with an LPS. So far I'm not disappointed.

IMG_6180.JPG

I'm also finally seeing and end to a diatom outbreak. The rockwork, sand and glass were covered but it now is receding.
The tank still looks bare but it's coming along. After the aiptasia disappeared the GSP really started open up and grow.

IMG_6182.JPG

Fox Face will be next into the QT but I'm just waiting on my schedule to cooperate so I have a few days in town to keep an eye on the start of the QT process. Maybe a hammer or torch coral next, depending on how things progress. Starting to eye up some SPS corals for the new year and dosing pumps to keep things stable. Any suggestions??

OP
OP
F

Forbesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while so I thought I'd share some progress. I've added some new inhabitants and successfully battled a nasty cyano outbreak. So first the good stuff.

20211220_200318.jpg

Added a Fox Face, kids named him Felix.

IMG_6210.JPG

He passed QT and is getting along with everyone.

IMG_6196.JPG

Added a Candy Cane coral.

IMG_6236.JPG

Added a Duncan and am acclimating some softies.

IMG_6230.JPG

5 Blue Green Reef Chromis are in QT right now and seem to be doing well.

Now the bad haha..........
Right around Christmas time I started noticing the cyano.

20220201_114931.jpg

It started on the sand and slowly started to cover the rock work.

20211206_154632.jpg

Elegance was less than pleased.

IMG_6235.JPG

Some days it didn't look to bad.....after I vacuumed the sand bed and blew off the rockwork, but it came right back.

I reduced my feeding amount and times per day, turned down my white light intensity, changed filter socks every 2 days when I remembered to. I also started adding Aquaforrest NP Pro and Bio along with weekly water changes. 2 months later and it's 90% gone!

IMG_6237.JPG

This guy is happier.

IMG_6249.JPG

Tank is much less purple and black now.

Phosphates are still high, 0.25 but I'm working on it.
Nitrates I'm happy with at 5ppm
Alk holding steady at 8 - 8.5

Once I have the phosphates under control I'm going to start getting corals to cover up that rockwork. Dottyback and Cardinal are the next fish prospects.
The cyano really set my plans back but I think I'm out of the woods.
I'll keep the updates coming.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back