16GB or 32GB

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting close to the pre-order of the iPhone 5 but am not sure of the size I need.
I have 32GB on my iPhone 4 now but have not come near filling it.
what is the recommend storage size to get?
16 or 32GB??

I am upgrading because I cracked my old phone.

am07f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for Apple here in miami, what people have to remember is the original capacities for things like music were 2 and 4gb. The average person only has about 6gb of music. The capacity is mostly taken up by music/videos/photos, applications only take up mb.

If you have atleast more than 10gb on the 32 i would still get a 32gb, because the 16gb is really only 13gb of space, and in time you will get more music and more photos. OR you can save your photos/videos on a computer and delete your text messages consistently lol.... and squeeze into a 16. Which is more than plenty for most ppl who do not need/want everything on their phone. But keep in mind they run faster when their not completely full, full tends to slow them down.

Get the 32gb IMO... Hope that helps

.... now who wants to trade corals for discounts!! :tongue:

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using 3.8Gbs but I did just remove my pictures/videos. I have thought I can do 16Gb if I keep up with removing pictures once they are postted online. At the same time I feel a 32Gb would be good just for safety.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the 32. I recently upgraded my 3GS to a 4S. I take lots of pictures, but it pretty much filled my phone completely up when I transferred everything over to the new phone because I had chosen to go the 16 route. Regret.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have the 16 and am constantly deleting stuff. I wish I could add some memory. I won't be getting the 5 though. I watched a live feed from the event and wasn't really impressed with the phone. It's thinner and lighter which I couldn't care less about. The camera wasn't upgraded so the pictures will be the same. They just said that thy made the camera smaller and kept it the same.

And then there is the new plug. I think that really pushes it over the edge for me. Right now I have 5 wall chargers and many USB chargers. I would have to buy a new adapter for each thing. Blah!

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 GB iPhone and it's plenty big simply because I don't keep much on it other than apps. My iPad, on the other hand, is 32 GB and I wish it were 64.

So it really depends on what you plan to keep on it!

ChoxRox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have the 16 and am constantly deleting stuff. I wish I could add some memory. I won't be getting the 5 though. I watched a live feed from the event and wasn't really impressed with the phone. It's thinner and lighter which I couldn't care less about. The camera wasn't upgraded so the pictures will be the same. They just said that thy made the camera smaller and kept it the same.

And then there is the new plug. I think that really pushes it over the edge for me. Right now I have 5 wall chargers and many USB chargers. I would have to buy a new adapter for each thing. Blah!

I have an iPhone 4, so the camera IS better for me. Plus, I need that faster processor because my phone is slowing down like crazy.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also as your phone fills up doesn't it slow down the response time of the phone? Kinda liked a bogged down computer? Mine seems to do that.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. There will be a difference from the 4 to the 5.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UGH. I think that was a very poor move on their part. I am a HUGE Apple girl but I'm not too eager to get a 5.

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about phones but my first computer upgrade was from a 360K (kilobyte not mega or giga!) floppy disk drive that contained the operating system (DOS), programs that I wrote and room for files that I created. I installed a second 360K drive to hold my files and thought I would never fill it up with saved files. Obviously I filled it quickly and every computer upgrade since has soon become clogged up and slowed down no matter how big the hard drive or how many gig of memory I bought. Programs and files keep getting bigger as the capabilities of the computers grow to run them so I suggest buying the most you can out of new equipment.

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as your phone fills up doesn't it slow down the response time of the phone? Kinda liked a bogged down computer? Mine seems to do that.

I would not expect flash memory to do this. This does happen mechanical hard drives due to fragmentation - as the drive gets close to full, the blocks in an individual file cannot be placed next to each other because other file blocks are in the way. This causes the drive to have to physically move the read head to get to different blocks when reading, which makes the read very slow. The access time for arbitrary flash memory blocks are essentially identical, so you don't have a slow-down due to fragmentation.

There may be other causes of slow-down when storage is low/old such as failing memory cells causing fail-overs to reserve cells, but I'm not certain about that.

I would guess one thing that does cause older iPhones to slow down, though, is new iOS versions and apps are targeting the higher-spec CPUs and GPUs in the newer devices.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to be a hater DROID X2 WITH 32MB ALL THE WAY BABY with dual core processor LOL.. NAH go with the 32 you will regret it later I am sure.

OP
OP
marinelife

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
changing the plug is no issue for me, all I have is a car charger and the wall charger. Things change and better technology comes out so I knew in time something with the phone would change.

I will have the 32GB iPhone 5 Thursday or Friday next week!

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The camera is the same, but with better features. Not to mention, Apple FINALLY upgraded the front facing camera from VGA! Unless you have accessories that require the old 30pin connector, you should have no problem with other adapters that uses USB. Really, I don't see why everyone's getting worked up from the change. I'm actually glad apple got rid of the bulky 30-pin connection. I think the A5X on my iPad is pretty fast, simply can't wait to see what the A6 can do. Honestly, the only thing that will likely be unimpressive is the new map system. When it comes to Maps, Google is superior.

Check out this sample photo from the iPhone5..

photo_1.jpg

photo_6.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back