OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened here. GHA showed up after I removed my GFO. So I added a small amount back and have been watching it slowly thin out.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was using a 10k light fixture that had two mini T5 bulbs recommended by AC on my fuge. My chaeto never really grew. I replaced it a week ago with a 6500k CFL and it's growing now and I see algae all over the sides of my fuge. Guess the 10k was not the best choice.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was using a 10k light fixture that had two mini T5 bulbs recommended by AC on my fuge. My chaeto never really grew. I replaced it a week ago with a 6500k CFL and it's growing now and I see algae all over the sides of my fuge. Guess the 10k was not the best choice.

Nope, Algaes' like lower kelvin light better. So just cheap old bulbs work best.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually using a par 30 bulb that have 3 LED's in it, but they are very yellow and I think around 6000k, and it is working quite well, and wont have to be replaced. Found it at lowes for about $12. FYI

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've always got best results growing algae with cheap 3200k cfl bulbs. Chaeto grows mad if you have nutrients for it. Haven't tried any leds for algae tho might havr to check that bulb out for my scrubber chris

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 180 has been insanely loud ever since I set it up. The dual returns empty into filter socks and the water flow falls about 6" before it hits the water. Also, my skimmer drain sits about 1" above the water and makes a lot of splashing noise. So I made two mods tonight. I cut 2 pieces of 1" pipe about 6" long and I put them into the filter socks and pushed them up into the bulkheads on my filter sock holders. Much, much quieter! So the skimmer drain posed a more involved problem, I can't introduce back pressure or the skimmer will overflow. So I cut a 2" piece of 2" drain pipe and then took a drill and drilled 4 holes around the edge to diffuse the water as it flowed through it. I then inserted it in the end of my skimmer drain. Much better!

Only thing left is a gurgle sound from the 2" drain pipe itself from the skimmer and the hum of my pumps. The volume difference is huge.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good progress on the noise issues. Tackle them one at a time and you'll be a happy camper before you know it. Mind posting a few pictures of the skimmer drain mod you did?

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a picture this evening. Also solved the gurgling noise by placing a towel over the drain pipe vent on the skimmer.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e9ahu6eq.jpg

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing has gotten huge. Has a green mouth. Had it originally in my 92. Think it's a Yuma? It's now about 6-7" across.
6yte8uvu.jpg

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh. It's popped off another small one, but it's mostly covered during the day by the larger one.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chalice that almost died due to my experience with brass plumbing back in my 92 has been flourishing in my 180.
he6a8upe.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 94 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 99 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.4%
Back