180 Build Thread

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt dose your alk and calcium thru an ATO. It will damage the pump very quickly, and it's not really a good way to measure how much is really going in.

This is what I use:
BRS 2 Part Doser

I have the alk dose 2 times a day. 12 noon and 12 midnight
I have cal dose 2 times a day at 5am and 5pm
I manually add mag when necessary

They are spaced out so they dont interfere with each other chemically, and it slowly drips 1.1 ml per minute, so no spikes. You will have to figure out what your tank demand is, and then set up some timers, or add them to a controller if you have one. Right now my demand is around 70ml a day for each using BRS 2 part mixes. So the pumps runs in 2, 30 minutes intervals for each.

Once I added these to my system everything got really happy. Best $170 I spent on the tank. Stability is key, and this will make that happen.

Last edited:

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airline tubing tied in a loose knot from a jug of some sort that just allows it to drip the solution until the jug is empty.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt dose your alk and calcium thru an ATO. It will damage the pump very quickly, and it's not really a good way to measure how much is really going in.

This is what I use:
BRS 2 Part Doser

I have the alk dose 2 times a day. 12 noon and 12 midnight
I have cal dose 2 times a day at 5am and 5pm
I manually add mag when necessary

They are spaced out so they dont interfere with each other chemically, and it slowly drips 1.1 ml per minute, so no spikes. You will have to figure out what your tank demand is, and then set up some timers, or add them to a controller if you have one. Right now my demand is around 70ml a day for each using BRS 2 part mixes. So the pumps runs in 2, 30 minutes intervals for each.

Once I added these to my system everything got really happy. Best $170 I spent on the tank. Stability is key, and this will make that happen.

This is exactly what I use. I dose ALK from 2am to 3am and CAL from 12pm to 1pm though... Chris has me thinking of setting up my dosing schedule a little differently now though. I like to dose ALK at night when the PH tends to be the lowest as the ALK dosing helps keep the pH up!

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll likely do that when I can. Just need an energy bar for my apex and the two part doser. I guess I would need to switch to soda ash as well from the reef builder I use now.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered that system from eBay. Need to buy some soda ash, don't suppose we have a BRS group buy going on anytime soon.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a group buy. I already purchased 5 gallon buckets of CAL, ALK, and MAG from the BRS 2-Part system. I bought them in bulk in a group buy a few months back to help all of us save on costs of these as a lot of us use the additives. I broke them all down into 1-gallon bags (I feel like a drug dealer, lol) and sell each one for $15. I'm not trying to make money. Just bought it all in bulk to help MTRC members save some $$$$ in the long run. Let me know if you are interested in buying any!

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh. Wish I had known, when I didn't go through with my order last night, they sent me a $5 coupon. So I went ahead and ordered.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding CBB it's clam. At one point 6 fish were all picking at it.
e7aryva6.jpg

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! How long have you had it? It has great color for it's size. Everyone that I've seen look pretty drab once they get really big. Not sure if that's just when they get really big, due to age, or just the public aquariums that I've seen them in.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tripple that. Just shy of 6 inches in my thank though. Now the question is... How fat are they? Mine is getting pretty round. LOL
Fat Foxy.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.3%
Back