180 Gallon 72”L 24”W 24”H or 210 Gallon 72”L 24”W 30”H...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if i had to pick i would get the added volume but only if you are going to fill it and run some coral to the top. I went a different direction and went wide (36") so i could have the depth and kept the height at 24". there are many ways to skin the cat, but really just go with what you like as there is no wrong answer.

having said that remember at 5'10" you will need to take your shirt off to clean the bottom section...lol

Wide tank always look better for aquascaping. It adds depth...

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i had to pick i would get the added volume but only if you are going to fill it and run some coral to the top. I went a different direction and went wide (36") so i could have the depth and kept the height at 24". there are many ways to skin the cat, but really just go with what you like as there is no wrong answer.

having said that remember at 5'10" you will need to take your shirt off to clean the bottom section...lol

I would of loved to be able to go with a tank this wide! A 300 Gallon will be my next tank but a house addition will be needed! Lol! Thanks!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would of loved to be able to go with a tank this wide! A 300 Gallon will be my next tank but a house addition will be needed! Lol! Thanks!

Do not need a 300 gallon. 4'x3' is a great size, look at the deep dimension tanks. Narrow tanks are harder to aquascape especially as you go higher. I was looking at a 150 high and it was 30" tall and 24" wide and no where could I find anyone who had good looking aquascaping because it is so hard to go 30 tall with only 24 wide tank. Either they were these narrow boomies with nothing on the bottom or the short wall looked stupid.

I would almost have to put my face in the water to get the bottom of a 30" aquarium.

Imagine trying to glue a frag in 30" water when you can not look in the front glass.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not need a 300 gallon. 4'x3' is a great size, look at the deep dimension tanks. Narrow tanks are harder to aquascape especially as you go higher. I was looking at a 150 high and it was 30" tall and 24" wide and no where could I find anyone who had good looking aquascaping because it is so hard to go 30 tall with only 24 wide tank. Either they were these narrow boomies with nothing on the bottom or the short wall looked stupid.

I would almost have to put my face in the water to get the bottom of a 30" aquarium.

Imagine trying to glue a frag in 30" water when you can not look in the front glass.
Its doable. I'm 5'4" with a 30" tall tank. [emoji16] Nothing like a look down box and a handy pair of stainless steel grippers to do the job. My armpits stay pretty dry too. [emoji23]

It presents its challenges but at my height, been overcoming challenges my whole life so no biggie.

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess I'll find out soon. I went with the 29 inches tall... not 30!;)
BIG DIFFERENCE! Lol!! J/K

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its doable. I'm 5'4" with a 30" tall tank. [emoji16] Nothing like a look down box and a handy pair of stainless steel grippers to do the job. My armpits stay pretty dry too. [emoji23]

It presents its challenges but at my height, been overcoming challenges my whole life so no biggie.
I'm up for the challenge FarmerTy! :)

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 210 gallon 30" tall. Much prefer the depth of the tank over shallower. When I need to get to the bottom i get a step stool.

Hitmans reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 that is 30” I wanted it particularly for the fact that I can put my face on the glass never bend over and still look up at the top of the water. My wife and I are both on the shorter side 5’4”-5’7”.
1DAB213C-3A38-4EF2-B734-BDE7F54D94A7.jpeg
Here’s what I started with on aquascaping I left myself plenty of room still to build my archway once I get some really good rock for it . No it’s not easy to work on the bottom but then again it’s all about preferences and view in my opinion. It’s ur canvas make it what u want reef artist.
67836B7A-FF75-44B8-A1F9-C3F7D9E46149.jpeg

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 210 gallon 30" tall. Much prefer the depth of the tank over shallower. When I need to get to the bottom i get a step stool.

I’ll be honest I was debating between this one and a 180. So I decided to go with the 210... once I did I was so glad I did! There’s just something about a tall tank! I’m in love with this thing and it’s still empty![emoji23]

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 that is 30” I wanted it particularly for the fact that I can put my face on the glass never bend over and still look up at the top of the water. My wife and I are both on the shorter side 5’4”-5’7”.
1DAB213C-3A38-4EF2-B734-BDE7F54D94A7.jpeg
Here’s what I started with on aquascaping I left myself plenty of room still to build my archway once I get some really good rock for it . No it’s not easy to work on the bottom but then again it’s all about preferences and view in my opinion. It’s ur canvas make it what u want reef artist.
67836B7A-FF75-44B8-A1F9-C3F7D9E46149.jpeg

Hitman, first your reef is a hit man! So glad I decided to go with a tall reef aquarium. Second I love ur rock work and the future plans! And third, love ur canvas analogy reef artist! Well I guess forth, your wife helps you with the reef!?!? Wish mine did![emoji23]
Thanks for sharing those pics![emoji106]

Last edited:

Hitmans reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s one of my favorite photos of all ... I usually do everything aquarium related but every now and then she gets a wild hair ....lol she really likes to take pictures but since the start up haven’t been able to it settled in yet where corals will really flourish. So none of her pictures to share yet before anyone asks. Plus I always pull it up and say something like “look babe remember when you use to want to help me clean the tank”
We had a 90 gal for about 4-5 yrs before this and it was a lot more full of life but then again it had a running life of about 13 yrs before it was torn down. Previous owner had it set up for 8 and when I purchased it I kept all of the water rock fish and sand so no die off really so when I set it up all the bacteria’s were well established.

Anyways your going to love it even if you can’t reach the bottom easily good luck with your future piece of the ocean

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story man! Looking forward to the future and see ur tank fully stock! Thanks again!

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest I was debating between this one and a 180. So I decided to go with the 210... once I did I was so glad I did! There’s just something about a tall tank! I’m in love with this thing and it’s still empty![emoji23]
There is no right or wrong, just preference but I much prefer tall vs long. Even a deep cube is more appealing to me than a long flatter tank. I also built a stand that has the tank sit higher than most so when you view it your not looking down.

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no right or wrong, just preference but I much prefer tall vs long. Even a deep cube is more appealing to me than a long flatter tank. I also built a stand that has the tank sit higher than most so when you view it your not looking down.
Agreed! I'm planning on building a stand at total high of 40" plus aquarium height of 30" for a grand total of 70 inches. I'm really tired of having to bend over to admire corals and fish. this way things will be right on my face! Lol!

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! I'm planning on building a stand at total high of 40" plus aquarium height of 30" for a grand total of 70 inches. I'm really tired of having to bend over to admire corals and fish. this way things will be right on my face! Lol!
You won't regret it!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was late to weigh in on this, but had the EXACT same dilemma. I opted for the 180 since the 210 was too deep to reach the back bottom without my shoulder reaching the water. My reef wasn't stinky enough for me to need to share my deodorant with it.

Tall stands are the way to go! Make sure you get a mini a-frame ladder for that bad boy. It'll be your best friend.

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was late to weigh in on this, but had the EXACT same dilemma. I opted for the 180 since the 210 was too deep to reach the back bottom without my shoulder reaching the water. My reef wasn't stinky enough for me to need to share my deodorant with it.

Tall stands are the way to go! Make sure you get a mini a-frame ladder for that bad boy. It'll be your best friend.

Never too late for your weight in! Although I went with the 210 this only reassured my decision![emoji119][emoji106]

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the 180 72x24x24. another thought here is what stand are you using? i had a very nice custom 36" stand and the presentation is beautiful. you really have to think about where the tank is, what level it is viewed from and your maintenance tasks. Also at 30" tall the lights have to be more to get to the bottom based on what you put in there. think it thru you will do the right thing!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back