180 Gallon 72”L 24”W 24”H or 210 Gallon 72”L 24”W 30”H...

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally went with the 180. A 6ft. tank is a lot to manage and definitely gives ample room for its inhabitants. I didn't want to have to get on a step stool to reach the bottom either.

Another reason why I chose the 180 over the 210 is because they both use the same stand. So I rather have a tank on the stand that isn't pushing the limits of the stand. Obviously if you build your own stand it doesn't apply. But I've seen commercial stands fall apart from water damage. So I got the high-end stand for my tank, not the standard stand, because it's a much better built stand and much nicer as well.

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 210 primarily for the taller viewing area. The 24” width X 24” height of the 180 just looked too boxy. I built a tall (42”) stand so getting down to the bottom requires a step stool or a pik-stik, as others have mentioned. Slight inconvenience, but if I had to do it again it would be the 210... or maybe bigger

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally went with the 180. A 6ft. tank is a lot to manage and definitely gives ample room for its inhabitants. I didn't want to have to get on a step stool to reach the bottom either.

Another reason why I chose the 180 over the 210 is because they both use the same stand. So I rather have a tank on the stand that isn't pushing the limits of the stand. Obviously if you build your own stand it doesn't apply. But I've seen commercial stands fall apart from water damage. So I got the high-end stand for my tank, not the standard stand, because it's a much better built stand and much nicer as well.

I really like your decision on the taller stand. I’m building mine at 40 inches tall. Also, my last aquarium was a 120 4’x2’x2 feet, but just adding an additional 2 feet wasn’t going to be enough for me, hence my decision for the 210. After the multiple responds here, I came to the conclusion that if your going to stay with a 24” tall aquarium, then the width better be 30” or more. Again, this is just my personal opinion. This also explains everyone’s dream aquarium... the infamous Marineland DD 300![emoji23]

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 210 primarily for the taller viewing area. The 24” width X 24” height of the 180 just looked too boxy. I built a tall (42”) stand so getting down to the bottom requires a step stool or a pik-stik, as others have mentioned. Slight inconvenience, but if I had to do it again it would be the 210... or maybe bigger

Good info and yes I’m super excited with my decision?[emoji106]

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your decision on the taller stand. I’m building mine at 40 inches tall. Also, my last aquarium was a 120 4’x2’x2 feet, but just adding an additional 2 feet wasn’t going to be enough for me, hence my decision for the 210. After the multiple responds here, I came to the conclusion that if your going to stay with a 24” tall aquarium, then the width better be 30” or more. Again, this is just my personal opinion. This also explains everyone’s dream aquarium... the infamous Marineland DD 300![emoji23]

A LOT of the Deep Dimension tanks sprung leaks. Marineland had a serious problem on their hands. Both the 300 and 220 specifically. You couldn't pay me to take one of those tanks.

On Marinelands site there's a review of a guy with the 300 and it blew out in 11 months. They replaced it and the second tank blew out in 6 weeks!! There's actually more people with problems with the 220. The stands are also extremely short.

Marineland happened to switch to a new builder during the DD time and needless to say, they were terrible with large tanks. I had to have my 180 replaced because of the bad siliconing by this company. The head woman told me to avoid tanks made in 2016 and earlier because they switched back to the original builder at the end of 2016. So my new 180 is a May 2017 build, but still doesn't have the best silicone job.

Marinelands higher end stands are extremely expensive, but so much better than the standard stands, and a bit taller as well. I believe the Monterey stand for the 180/210 has 34" inside height. Which is actually perfect so you can reach in more easily, yet still fit any equipment underneath without a problem.

Good luck with your new tank. I look forward to seeing it up and running.

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LOT of the Deep Dimension tanks sprung leaks. Marineland had a serious problem on their hands. Both the 300 and 220 specifically. You couldn't pay me to take one of those tanks.

On Marinelands site there's a review of a guy with the 300 and it blew out in 11 months. They replaced it and the second tank blew out in 6 weeks!! There's actually more people with problems with the 220. The stands are also extremely short.

Marineland happened to switch to a new builder during the DD time and needless to say, they were terrible with large tanks. I had to have my 180 replaced because of the bad siliconing by this company. The head woman told me to avoid tanks made in 2016 and earlier because they switched back to the original builder at the end of 2016. So my new 180 is a May 2017 build, but still doesn't have the best silicone job.

Marinelands higher end stands are extremely expensive, but so much better than the standard stands, and a bit taller as well. I believe the Monterey stand for the 180/210 has 34" inside height. Which is actually perfect so you can reach in more easily, yet still fit any equipment underneath without a problem.

Yeah I heard a few horror stories about DD aquariums from them. My aquarium is not Marineland. Thanks for the history on their builders and issues... interesting. I still have a few other things to get but yes, I will be creating a build thread when the time comes![emoji3]
Happy reefing my friend!

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4898.JPG

Thank you all for your input! Point of no return! 210 was picked up and brought inside the house with the help of a few friends, beer, and broasted chicken... of course after the aquarium was brought downstairs!

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4898.JPG

Thank you all for your input! Point of no return! 210 was picked up and brought inside the house with the help of a few friends, beer, and broasted chicken... of course after the aquarium was brought downstairs!

Congrats! How do you like the build quality of the tank?

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 150 Deep and my depth is 30.5 and I have a ladder I use to get to the bottom and I am 5'11. It really struggle getting all the way down. I love my tank size just wish it was the long version lol.

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! How do you like the build quality of the tank?

Hello Denisk! The aquarium is nothing special. This is an Aqueon display aquarium which by the way I’ll be drilling and installing a Synergy shadow overflow box from BRS! Paid under $650 for the aquarium. Aquarium, overflow box, and material should put me at $800 but I won’t have those horrendous internal overflow boxes that I personally dislike so much! I guess this is my version of a cheap custom aquarium![emoji23]

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Denisk! The aquarium is nothing special. This is an Aqueon display aquarium which by the way I’ll be drilling and installing a Synergy shadow overflow box from BRS! Paid under $650 for the aquarium. Aquarium, overflow box, and material should put me at $800 but I won’t have those horrendous internal overflow boxes that I personally dislike so much! I guess this is my version of a cheap custom aquarium![emoji23]

Yeah but I actually love the idea haha. I was interested in potentially doing something like this myself. So I guess I was asking regarding like the silicone work. I’ve heard some scary things about the Marineland DD but not sure if I heard anything about the aqueon.

OP
OP
fedeuma

fedeuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but I actually love the idea haha. I was interested in potentially doing something like this myself. So I guess I was asking regarding like the silicone work. I’ve heard some scary things about the Marineland DD but not sure if I heard anything about the aqueon.

I looked but I didn’t find anything negative on this size/brand of aquarium. I really wanted the one with the black silicone but most of those had the internal overflow. I also heard that the clear silicon tends to be a little stronger?!?! Don’t quote me here. Lol!
As for the silicone job, I say is decent and I’ll leave it at that [emoji57] I guess the silicone job matches the low-iron glass on all sides! [emoji23] j/k! What I’m trying to say here is for the price I couldn’t ask for more, the aquarium feels very strong structurally and I’m very happy with my decision![emoji106]

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4898.JPG

Nice! That’s the same aquarium I have. Internal overflows are an eyesore so I also drilled the upper back panel and installed a few elbows for overflow (this was 10 years ago, before the slick overflow boxes were as common). I paid $700 at a lfs in 2010. They were having a sale and i later discovered a few light scratches, which may have been the reason for the discount. Still a great deal.

budsquest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you happen to have contact information for the "head woman"? I am going through this now on an 11 month old 220 that sprung a leak where the silicon let loose. I feel like I am getting nowhere with their insurance company.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have contact information for the "head woman"? I am going through this now on an 11 month old 220 that sprung a leak where the silicon let loose. I feel like I am getting nowhere with their insurance company.

I don't even remember her name, though I'd know if if I heard it.

Did you contact Marinelands warranty dept? Just ask who the woman in charge is.

Was your tank manufactured in early 2016 or before?

budsquest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even remember her name, though I'd know if if I heard it.

Did you contact Marinelands warranty dept? Just ask who the woman in charge is.

Was your tank manufactured in early 2016 or before?
Does it happen to be Christina Gusler, Consumer Relations?

It was built in Sept 2016!

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back