180 gallon on second floor?

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have moved to a new house which is two story. I intended to put the aquarium on the second floor (main floor) but chickened out and put it in the garage where it has been for the past 4 weeks. The tank is being neglected there and would like to revisit putting the tank on the main floor. I was trying to find an architect to review the house plans but so far seems to be a struggle. Is there anyone here who i can give details of the construction of the house to let me know how concerned i should be. I have printed copies of the house plans.

Thanks.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the house? Do you know what direction the joists are running ? As @alton said if it's next to a load bearing wall and the joists are running perpendicular to the tank you likely are ok. However, the very best and safest thing to do is have a structural engineer look at it and make sure. That's not that expensive a thing to do and it could save you a lot of grief and money going forward.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be along a load bearing wall with joists perpendicular to the tank. House was built in 2007. I want to be 100% sure as the consequences are dire. Have found anyone interested in reveling the plans yet.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have moved to a new house which is two story. I intended to put the aquarium on the second floor (main floor) but chickened out and put it in the garage where it has been for the past 4 weeks. The tank is being neglected there and would like to revisit putting the tank on the main floor. I was trying to find an architect to review the house plans but so far seems to be a struggle. Is there anyone here who i can give details of the construction of the house to let me know how concerned i should be. I have printed copies of the house plans.

Thanks.
Hey pm me the plans I’ll give you my professional opinion been doing carpentry for 15 years now specifically concrete foundations which deal a lot in load bearing and weights. Very knowledgeable in plans as well if you can include wall framing and floor joists be awesome

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the house? Do you know what direction the joists are running ? As @alton said if it's next to a load bearing wall and the joists are running perpendicular to the tank you likely are ok. However, the very best and safest thing to do is have a structural engineer look at it and make sure. That's not that expensive a thing to do and it could save you a lot of grief and money going forward.
It’s all going to depend on the stud layout in the wall as wall as floor as we all know water alone is 8 pounds per gallon so it’s over 1400 pounds roughly in water alone

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 on a second level. No problem for me.

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought but do you plan on having a sump under the tank also? Might want to include that in on the overall weight if so.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back