Stephen's 180

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isnt really a build thread since the tank is up and running but a tank is really never done so I thought I would start a build thread as a way of documenting the evolution of my tank. I bought this Oceanic bow front tank on CL about 2 years ago after having a 75 for about a year and really wanting to keep some tangs. 2 months ago we moved to a new house about 16 miles away so had to move the tank. The main floor in the new house was on the second floor so I was a bit concerned with putting the tank on the second floor. The new house also has a massive garage (30' x 35') which I was also planning to an area for my home office so decided to setup the tank down there. We are in the San Diego area so it does not get that hot for an extended time. Maintenance in the garage is much easier so that was a benefit.

I had been getting my salt water from Scripps (free NSW) and RODI water from LFS but since the new house was a bit further decided to get an RODI system and make my own salt water for changes. I had always been concerned with trace elements from NSW so that also seemed like a good reason to move to making my own salt water.

The move was quite stressful and i lost the 2 SPS corals i had, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 peppermint shrimp. Othewise all the fish and soft coral made the trip.

When I had the tank setup in the previous house I had a massive 5ft sump. The sump barely fit in the stand so decided to get a small sump so I could fit the ATO and other equipment under the tank.

I brief description of system:

Tank: 180 Oceanic bowfront tank
Sump: Trigger System Saphise 39
Powerheads : 2 Maxspect 350s, 2 MP40s
Controller: Apex
Skimmer: DV 120
Sump Pump: Neptune COR20
Lights: Aqualife Hybrid T5 with 2 Currrent LED in the middle

Pictures coming in next post

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the current state.

IMG_1490.jpg IMG_1491.jpg IMG_1492.jpg IMG_1493.jpg IMG_1494.jpg IMG_1495.jpg IMG_1496.jpg

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is a bit messy with the fan. I added the fan to the top of the tank and the sump to cool during the summer. They actually do a great job of cooling the system down. I use the Apex to turn the fan off and on.
Apex temp graph.JPG

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since i moved the tank to the new house my Nitrates have been really high. Im not sure if it is related to the smaller sump and refugium or just the tank settling in again. At the previous house I was struggling to raise my nutrients. With the current setup its over 30 using a Red Sea test. I started vodka dosing about 10 days ago. As lunch would have it my skimmer pump quit working just after I started. i noticed my PH dropping so added an air stone to the sump to help oxygenate the water. I have contacted Simplicity and they are sending me a new pump but in the mean time I am continuing with the vodka dosing and air pump. I still have not noticed a significant decrease in the nitrates but my candy cane coral does look better.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish list:

Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Sailfin Tang
Blue Tang
Mandarin
Fairy Wrasse
2 clowns
2 pajama cardinals

All the fish get along reasonably well. When i first put the Purple Tang in the tank the Blue was bullying it around and occasionally will still chase it but not too bad.

I was concerned with the pod population dying during the move and the Mandy starving but she still seem fat.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails most died during the move. I only have one cleaner shrimp left and occasionally see a hermit crab lurking around. Need to get some more snails and clean up crew.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to keep the tank a bare bottom tank mostly to help keep it clean. I have been doing ~15 gallon water changes every week. Normal Saturday morning routine of cleaning the tank and minor water change.

I debated for a long time whether an Apex controller was worth the cost. I have to say I don't regret it at all. For a while I was traveling a lot and this helped with know the tank was doing ok but I find it another way of just interacting with the tank and system. Monitoring Ph is a lagging indicator of something going on in the tank but at least you know something is changing and can then investigate.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested paramaters today and they are the best I have had since starting reefing.

Alk: 8.6
Nitrate: 8
Phos: .04
Ca: 490
Mg: 1395

I need to figure out what to do about Vodka dosing. I am up to 1.7ml/day. I think I will go to 1.2ml/day and see how the tank does.

Back