180 gallon reef tank

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently have a 180 gallon reef tank that we are waiting for it to grow. It has a few corals in it. I will give you a list of the corals. We have a green doughnut coral, a open brain coral, a hammer head coral, a frogspawn coral, a chalice coral, a favia colony, a blasto colony, mushroom, toadstool, 2 cabbage coral, zoanthids, button polyps, and a kenya tree. As far as the fish goes we have 2 osolaris clown fish, 2 clarki clown fish, a Mata Tang, a Foxface, a 3 stripe damsil, a lawnmower blenny and also a scooter blenny. Here are a few pictures of our tank.

Hope you all enjoy the pictures. We have been running this tank for a total of 2 months. We originally had a a 75 gallon tank and a 65 gallon tank that we combined into making this tank into what we have now. Hoping that it will grow really quickly.

OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently using a 29 gallon tank that is filled from the overflow. That 29 will gravity feed into a 40 Breeder that has one baffle in it. In the baffle we have about 15 pounds of live rock. We also have some Chaeto in there as well. Then the water flows over to where we have our return pump. It seems to be working really well. We have some amphopods that are really starting to reproduce in the live rock in the sump. We also have some tiny brittle star fish that is currently living in our Chaeto.

Here is a picture of one of star fish that we have in our sump.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!

OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been real fun to see the things that are growing in our tank. I am just glad that we are in this hobby together. I love the fact that my wife and I are really into the same things.

OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the mud room converted over to our fish supply room. Now we need to replace the filters on the RO/DI unit. Will post some pictures later. :) :beer:

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at our tank this morning while doing the test and noticed that our Frogspawn coral in splitting. The chalice that we got back in February has grown about an half an inch already. I can not believe how fast some of these corals are growing. I just love watching the tank grow to its full potential. Will have to see if I can get some pictures taken today of the mud room and also of the corals that have really grown since being put in the tank.

:smile: :bigsmile: :xd:

OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how we are going to store our RO/DI water. I am pretty sure that we will not run out any time soon. These are 55 gallon food grade barrels that we picked up. Cleaning them out really good with some good old viniger and water. Let up know what you guys think of this storage idea.

esa9eny6.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few more pictures.

zupy6ypu.jpg

zu2yza7u.jpg

qepaputy.jpg

Trying to figure out what the name of the chalice is. LFS just called it a green eyed chalice.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's probably about 8 inches long he was about 3 inches we got him around a year ago very cool fish i couldn't imagine our tank without him

trukgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I just acquired one myself a few days ago. He's about 3" and same dark coloration. He is already a voracious eater! I have a chair at one end of my tank... He has learned quick to come sit with me like my Sailfin does. He's very social.

Think you could post a current pic of the Mata and a full tank shot sometime?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya on the eating part lol he's like a puppy dog he's always in your face and gets so excited when you come into the room I will post pics tomorrow

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is 8.2lbs. per gal. 440 lbs. for RO/DI water and close to the same for your salt water that's right at 900 lbs. for BOTH of them.For my own peace of mind I believe I'd a built that stand out of 2x6's instead of 2x4's but that's me and you said whata you think.Just be safe.

OP
OP
R

reefcouple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of our tank and Mata tang

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395885071764.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395885071764.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 375
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395885096534.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395885096534.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 328

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back