OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I looked it up and seems common? Some people say it can be stress related.. but some say there's have had it and it's went away? Not sure but it's not cool to see them on him. I honestly didn't see them there at the fish store so we shall see.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be worth it to treat with those tablets or whatever at the fish store?

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be worth it to treat with those tablets or whatever at the fish store?
I'm not sure what tablets your talking about but I wouldn't stress about it. Especially if it's only on his fins. Puffers are not the type of fish than instantly out me into alert mode when the have a white spec or two. He looks happy

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what tablets your talking about but I wouldn't stress about it. Especially if it's only on his fins. Puffers are not the type of fish than instantly out me into alert mode when the have a white spec or two. He looks happy
All puffers "look happy" because of their cute faces and big eyes. There are more than a couple of spots snd they are something to possibly worry about. #humblefish #melypr1985

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about that Kordon Ick treatment. Has some good reviews. And raise the tank temperature? Other than that he has been eating like a pig and very active since the moment he was put in my tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising temperature helps in the battle against _freshwater_ ich, but not so much against Cryptocaryon irritans, AKA saltwater "ich". Kordon makes a few different ich treatments. I've tried "Ich Attack", and the only effect I saw was a few dying corals, but they also make "Safe Copper-Aid", which is chelated copper - essentially the same as CopperSafe - and _works_ against ich.

Below, a link to notes from one of the sharpest fish healers whose posts I've had the pleasure of reading:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.191226/

For what it's worth, though I don't keep a puffer, I do have a blue-jaw triggerfish, which is related - they're both plectognath fishes. I've found that he's one of my most susceptible fish to ich.

~Bruce

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All puffers "look happy" because of their cute faces and big eyes. There are more than a couple of spots snd they are something to possibly worry about. #humblefish #melypr1985
I think a better picture would do justice [emoji42]

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some reviewing it very well seems like ich. There are reports of this from stress but that's not likely. I talked to someone that went through this with a porc puffer and he highly recommended polyP lab medic. Safe for inverts and reef (although I don't run a reef) should be here thrusday and I'll start treatment. I don't have the option to QT since my other tank will be the permanent I'll use this as the QT tank before moving them to the 180g. I also ordered some Kent xtreme garlic to soak his food in to keep his appetite up which is important. As of now he seems great. Ugh why do I care this much about a fish. Haha. Always something. Here's another pic.

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no white dots on his body. Those are just his spines

IMG_8649.JPG

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a little fishy haha ignore that lame joke, so whatever you feel is necessary

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used PolypLab's ich treatment - but I've also never heard of a treatment for ich that is both safe for invertebrates / corals _and_ effective against ich.

If you do find that you need to get some copper, I've had better results from chelated copper (CopperSafe), rather than the ionic variety (Cupramine). While treating with it, you'll want to remove the liverock, as it can absorb the copper and make your levels fairly unstable. Levels of copper in the water should be tested regularly, and with chelated copper the API test seems to be the one that works best.

You're spot-on about ich not being the result of stress. It's a living creature, and has to be introduced into the tank in order for our fish to "catch" it. Problem is, it's in a lot (most? all?) of wholesale / retail systems, so introducing it into our home systems is pretty easy to do.

~Bruce

Shawn Cybulski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that skimmer.... would get a new one. The impeller for the pump is near impossible to find. Also tech has changed so much.....

OP
OP
Benny Gyger

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odd part is lookin at pics of him in the store and even in the bag he has No fin/tail white spots. I acclimate him and introduce him and the white spots pop up within and hour... hmmm

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back