YWG/pistol shrimp
Fairy Wrasse
Leopard wrasse (later)
Diamond Goby
Blotched Anthias (later)
Yellow Eye Kole (if we ever find one)
Caribbean Blue Tang (maybe)
Lawnmower Blenny
Midas Blenny (don't know if we can have two blennies in a tank?)

Thoughts.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, this is the potential stockist for my 180 mixed reef:
Pair of Long Fin clowns-Purchased
Tomini Tang- Purchased
Purple Tang
Red Sea Sailfin
Magnificent Foxface
YWG/pistol shrimp
Fairy Wrasse
Leopard wrasse (later)
Diamond Goby
Blotched Anthias (later)
Yellow Eye Kole (if we ever find one)
Caribbean Blue Tang (maybe)
Lawnmower Blenny
Midas Blenny (don't know if we can have two blennies in a tank?)

Thoughts.
It says mixed reef, but there are a lot of fish with space/swimming needs on list. Almost feel that is enough fish for 1.5 or 2 tanks once you factor in need for sleeping caves/aquascape, as at least my tangs don't seem to share sleeping spaces

Wrasse usually can have just one, so maybe leopard wrasse after fairy wrasse dies of old age.

My sailfin tang is nicknamed 'Death Dealer' and sailfin aggression rated well below purple tangs which are reported to increase aggression until nothing else can be added to tank. This reefers experiences with purple tangs is much better, plus there is aggression ranking list provided in this post:

likely can have two blenny in tank. Anthias are gentle, passive so adding 'later' may mean taking other fish out for a couple weeks when Anthias added, then once other fish have lived in other tank breaking territory holds after couple weeks, can re-introduce other original fish. (this is how I successfully reintroduced my yellow tang when it had to leave main tank during main tank bryopsis Reef Flux treatment, also used below SHU acclimation box)

Also recommend getting acclimation box with magnets. I tried acclimation box hang on side style for my 180g, but my existing fish would then only allow new fish to live in that upper corner (where hang on side had been) once out of acclimation meet & greet box. New fish didn't understand. Beat up, removed back to QT to heal, repeat, died. Repeat story like 3 times. Now own acclimation box with magnets so meet & greet happens in all areas of tank, whenever I'm emotionally brave enough to try another new fish. Did enable successful reintroduction of my yellow tang back to main tank after 3 weeks out (also put sailfin in sump for week+ to improve odds), Yellow tang is also member of my Death Dealer Squad.

OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple and sailfin will be QT together and added to the DT together and they will be among the last added. Idk if I'm going to do more than those three tangs. My aquascape was built with the fact I wanted tangs in mind. There is plenty of open space between the rocks as well as above, in front, and behind. I'm still on the fence about the Leopard wrasse. And the Anthias.

Back