19 days after adding ammonia, bacteria, and live rock, nitrites still present

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m in the process of cycling my 90 gal saltwater tank and my nitrites are stuck. I added ammonia to 2ppm and fritz bacteria and after 1 day the ammonia went to 0 but my nitrites has stayed since the 2nd day. I’ve added a few pieces of live rock, a few cups of live sand I got from my other tank, and even more bottled bacteria and still nothing. I know cycling takes time but shouldn’t it have cycled immediately after I added the first few pieces of live rock? I have 2 clowns and 2 shrimp I want to transfer over to my new tank.

Do I change water and add fish or do I just wait it out even more?

IMG_3296.jpeg IMG_3297.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m in the process of cycling my 90 gal saltwater tank and my nitrites are stuck. I added ammonia to 2ppm and fritz bacteria and after 1 day the ammonia went to 0 but my nitrites has stayed since the 2nd day. I’ve added a few pieces of live rock, a few cups of live sand I got from my other tank, and even more bottled bacteria and still nothing. I know cycling takes time but shouldn’t it have cycled immediately after I added the first few pieces of live rock? I have 2 clowns and 2 shrimp I want to transfer over to my new tank.

Folks don’t generally worry about nitrites anymore, just the ammonia. As long as you understand that a nitrate test will be wrong with nitrite in the water.

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your Nitrates? What are you using for testing? I believe in saltwater aquariums, Nitrites aren’t as much of a concern. I started with all live rock and live sand from TBS, and even now 8 months later I register a small amount of Nitrites with my Salifert test kit. I believe you are cycled.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cycling chart shows nitrite isn't ready by day 19

But nitrite doesn't factor any longer in marine cycles, and no bottle bac takes nineteen days to control ammonia... all set. The live rock casts its bacteria to other surfaces within nineteen days as well. Done

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your Nitrates? What are you using for testing? I believe in saltwater aquariums, Nitrites aren’t as much of a concern. I started with all live rock and live sand from TBS, and even now 8 months later I register a small amount of Nitrites with my Salifert test kit. I believe you are cycled.
I’m using api test kit but I haven’t tested nitrates yet since I’ve heard people saying that nitrate tests are inaccurate with nitrites present. Nitrites aren’t toxic but wouldn’t the presence of nitrites mean your bio filter isn’t working correctly?

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But nitrite doesn't factor any longer in marine cycles, and no bottle bac takes nineteen days to control ammonia... all set. The live rock casts its bacteria to other surfaces within nineteen days as well. Done

So I can add my fish and continue as normal? Do I need to do a big water change before I add fish if so how much

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using api test kit but I haven’t tested nitrates yet since I’ve heard people saying that nitrate tests are inaccurate with nitrites present. Nitrites aren’t toxic but wouldn’t the presence of nitrites mean your bio filter isn’t working correctly?
Read the first post in this thread.
Thread 'The importance of nitrite measurements in a reef aquarium'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-importance-of-nitrite-measurements-in-a-reef-aquarium.754714/

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still measure Nitrates with Nitrites present, it will give you a higher number than is actually present. My test kit tells you how to convert the number for a more accurate Nitrate measurement. I actually use a Tropic Marin Pro test kit, not Salifert as I originally posted.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system may be cycled but imo its not ready for fish.
Slow down and give your system a chance to stabilize.
Your tanks cycle may be complete but its far from stable at this time.
If your system was all live rock then adding fish would be fine at day 19, imo.
The reason is you will be fighting the uglies for awhile with all that dead rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Nitrites apply to freshwater and unless sky high can be disregarded. As long as ammonia is zero for 5 days steadily and nitrate 20 or below- you are cycled

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All testing of bottle bac shows ten days or less readiness in this arrangement and we've covered that live rock transmits it's bacteria within this time even without bottle bac redundancy

Fear of cycle completion has no basis in study its old cycling science. Bottle bac costs more than pure water because it speeds up cycles.

Failure to mention lack of fish disease preps as the fish risk is old cycle science

This tank can carry many fish as cycle posts show. Skipping disease preps is what will kill them, read the fish disease forum Anthony

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling is only about basic ammonia control. No cycling charts show ammonia not ready by day ten or twelve

We can't make any tank safer for fish by waiting arbitrary wait periods beyond ammonia control dates

Only applying actual disease preps makes the tank safe for fish. Everyone thinks they can skip preps, won't need, doesn't apply to them. See disease forum for how that pans out in eight months

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked; " I know cycling takes time but shouldn’t it have cycled immediately after I added the first few pieces of live rock? "

No - the rock needs to be in a good flow area of the tank as the water must bring the ammonia and nitrite to the rock. It takes time to create the biofilms needed on the bare rock.

Phosphate is needed to do nitrite conversion to nitrate. I always recommend a little fish food after a few days with ammonia dosing when the ammonia conversion to nitrite is underway.

Good luck !

Probably happens !

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO
90 gallons, I would add the 2 clowns... continue to test ammonia for some time... all is well add the shrimp.
I'm assuming you have good flow in the tank :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back