1st time reef tank, set up, stock, etc, feedback?? 26 gal bowfront

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background: Hi all, I have previous experience with small and large freshwater tanks (currently have a decently stocked 72 gallon freshwater community with 20g sump (1/3 water changes weekly)) and am finally jumping into the saltwater world! I shuffled some of my tanks around, considered maintenance costs and start up costs, and decided that I would go with the 26 gallon bowfront tank. I already had this tank and it was easy to shuffle things around to empty it. I understand there is more leeway on a larger tank, but i have the time and im up for it!

The Tank: 26 gallon bowfront, not drilled, no sump/overflow, no filtration except the 30lbs of liverock from a local that has had it established for 5 years that I plan to put in the tank. I will make sure to have ample flow with two 528 gph powerheads to give me a 40x turnover rate inside the tank (too little? just right? too much?). the powerheads i currently have in my shopping cart but have not ordered yet do not have variable flow adjustments, should i consider this? I plan to start out bare bottom to avoid sand sifting around and to have an overall cleaner and simpler environment. stocking will be chosen accordingly. maybe sand could be added in the future if felt necessary.

Lighting: I have yet to choose lighting, but would love to find an as cheap as possible while still being decent way to get the 24" width and 20" depth of tank lit well enough for lps and softies. suggestions here??

Other Components: I'm going to diy a skimmer with a air pump rated for either 40 or 60 gallons and a wooden air stone. This will have to run in the corner of my tank, will try to hide it, along with a heater (probably 100W or 150W) with live rock. (my live rock is probably going to end up in the typical step shape for 3 layers, against the back.

Water:
I plan to buy a 200 gal. box of instant reef salt from the start seeing as that box will only cost me $55 and should last over a year doing religious 10% water changes weekly. I was also going to buy one of those $70 4-stage RO water filters off of ebay. (seeing as 3 gallons a week will cost me $6 a month locally, this will pay for itself in a year and give me more potential benefit with a larger tank in the future)

Stocking:
1 Oscellaris clownfish
1 Bangaii Cardinal
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
1 Yellow tail damsel (as i am told they are the most docile damsel usually)
1 Green chromis
** the last two i have read mixed reviews and controversial reports of the behaviors as being better in groups or solo, im going to try solo because thats what space allows and it seems the definite jury is out.

I still need Clean Up Crew suggestions as I know nothing here, all i know is i want a reef safe RED colored shrimp haha. have to round off the variation of color in my tank.

Ask away if there is anything you would like to know that I am missing! THANKS IF YOU READ THIS FAR! haha i just felt like i needed to be thorough to get good information.

p.s. doing this all pretty low tech!

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Welcome to R2R! It seems like your have done some research here and that's great! For lights there are so many options its hard to recomend something while not knowing a solid budget. I'll say that you can do a simple T5HO fixture with two bulbs in it for fairly cheap and do softies. You can also get a black box LED on ebay for $75 which will give you a little more range in corals you can keep.

The red shrimp is a Fire Shrimp. Really cool little guys. I have one too. Mine comes out of the rocks when I put my hand near his cave and cleans my fingers.

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I try to use the 'ol google device before asking others haha, a solid budget would be preferably under $80 as you have already suggested coincidentally, the manager at the local petco here is a huge coral guy around here privately and the lighting he suggested is $80 but i dont remember what it was, i will definitely look into that black box! Are you talking about the 165w led ones? with all the colors and dimming etc? yeah there are lots of red colored shrimp! hopefully that is the one i have watched a few videos about and read about a little. any other suggestions on CUC?

also... maybe a lighting suggestion that would allow me to use a lid as well? idk im worried about carpet surfers! and a lid helps with evap!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I'm actually going to get this exact one for my frag tank soon. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SunSpect-16...749262?hash=item418de9450e:g:JYIAAOSwFnFV-oNL

For jumpers you can make your own screen top. I did it and it was very easy. Look at home depot for window screen material. OR BRS sells a kit to do it also. Otherwise if you build a canopy there are a lot of different ways to do different types of lighting in there.

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh thats a good idea! maybe wooden frame with screen as the top, that could work for sure, still wondering if there is a sufficient option out there that would be viable for a little cheaper, maybe closer to $50 than $80? are t5 any cheaper? or are t8 bulbs a possiblity with 4 bulbs even?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh thats a good idea! maybe wooden frame with screen as the top, that could work for sure, still wondering if there is a sufficient option out there that would be viable for a little cheaper, maybe closer to $50 than $80? are t5 any cheaper? or are t8 bulbs a possiblity with 4 bulbs even?

T8s arn't really going to work well for corals. Search around for t5's you can probably find a used fixture pretty cheap then put some nicer bulbs in it.

Back