1x AI Prime 16hd Enough?

sheluligans

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2022
Messages
16
Reaction score
52
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on setting up my JBJ 45 AIO to grow some Macro Algae and maybe a few Soft Corals. I've seen different opinions on what size tank the AI 16HD is good for, and was wondering if the consensus is if one of these lights will be enough for that kind of tank/stock or if I should look into getting two, or a different light entirely? Would love to hear thoughts and rationale for why, still trying to learn exactly what lighting is good for what in Salt Water!
 
I got a used JBJ 45 in a trade deal and, based on the dimensions, I was planning on using 2 Primes. Even though they say a single can cover 24", my personal experience is that the shadowing would be horrendous with only one light. I am a big fan of the Primes, though. Using 2 would give better coverage and spread than even a single 26HD or 32HD would on that footprint.

Before I even got the 45 setup, I got a JBJ 65 in a different trade deal ( Yeah, my wife hates me :D ). I'll be using 3 Primes and some ReefBrites on that tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new