2.5in maxima in a nano?

kth132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a small maxima clam hes been in a reef tank for months now and doing good. I have a 12g setup that's been going for 3 weeks and has cycled. Running a zetlight nano on it that will support sps and all so I know It can support a clam. With this guy being so small and the tank not that old (I used live rock and water from my main tank for setup) would he be ok?? calcium is up over 460.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors that can play into it. Are you going to start dosing in your 12 gallon? What are you using for filtration? I would keep your 12 gallon running a bit longer than 3 weeks before I put a clam in there. Why don't you start with a small frag of cheaper SPS and see if you can keep that going, then move the clam? Just because it's currently at 460 calc, doesn't mean the clam won't suck it up when you move it over!

OP
OP
K

kth132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna dose calc. alk. buffer that's all. I have a huge clam in my 90 that's healthy as can be and that's all I dose. I do have duncans and zoas in tank already and they are doing great. wasn't gonna move him over just yet. But he just gets swallowed in my 90g. and is barley noticeable.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a bit. Water parameters change so quickly in a nano that you might want to start with something easier. Also the tank is new, which makes things even more unstable. Good luck!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna dose calc. alk. buffer that's all. I have a huge clam in my 90 that's healthy as can be and that's all I dose. I do have duncans and zoas in tank already and they are doing great. wasn't gonna move him over just yet. But he just gets swallowed in my 90g. and is barley noticeable.

I would try some SPS and see how it fairs. Then I would move the clam over. Especially if it's doing alright in your 90, no sense in rushing it, nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be I interested to see if it's doable though. It's a neat idea.

OP
OP
K

kth132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be I interested to see if it's doable though. It's a neat idea.

Yes im going to spend some more time doing some research on it. What are my signs to look for if its not happy?? other than it being closed

OP
OP
K

kth132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to know. But when you have rock and water that's been in a tank that has been established for over a year.. whats the difference?? Sure there is a good reasoning. just curious

ahtatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a maxima do really well in a 14g biocube for a little over a year. I introduced it about 2 months after the tank had been set up. I the tank super quickly, and had to upgrade. In the new tank it was over taken by some pink n' gold palys, along with its pal.
148228_466996632203_928269_n.jpg
it was 1.5 inches when i got it.
You cant even see it behind the cabbage leather :/
533187_10150687908112204_706452771_n.jpg
and before it was molested to death by the palys.

ahtatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I realized what the palys were doing, it was too late. I have the skeletons, both loaded down with palys. I had seen some zoas covering a friends larger clam and thought it was neat. Mistakes were made. :/
The pink and golds eventually took over the whole rock, and I gave it away.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back