2 bulb t5 supplement vs 4 bulb

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 90 sps dominant reef with 2 Hydra 52hds and I'm looking to add t5 supplements. I am looking to get the t5ho dimmable retrofit but my question is should I get 2 bulbs on each side totaling to 4 bulbs or 1 on each side totaling to 2 bulbs. I have a good amount of shding in the middle and sides of my tank and shadowing on sides of acrosporas not directly under LEDs. How much of a difference is there and what are benefits/ downsides? I appreciate going to be getting ati blue+ bulbs

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd do 2 bulbs on each side totaling 4 bulbs. Two ATI Blue+ and Two ATI Actinic and let the radions take care of the whiter channels :)

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals runs just one row of T5 along the front and one row along the back with their LEDs in their 500 display and that seems to work very well for them. They use Radions instead of Hydras but results should be similar.

I just switched to Radions from all T5 and went with a similar setup, keeping just 2 bulbs, one front and one back. Too soon to tell how the corals will respond as it’s only been 10 days an I’m still running the acclimation schedule.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t bother with a dimmable t5 Esp if your only running 52s on an sps dom tank. The led will pretty easily overpowerer them. Or can rather , depending on the setting.

If you like blue go more blue plus , if you like a little more white color g0 w two c+.

If you like the purple violet of the led don’t bother with a purple plus.

I’m short, you can compliment the colors you have with the led by picking complimentary tubes , or pick the tubes and adjust the led to compliment the t5 while they are on.

If your trying to just add par , at 12 in each tube is about 150 par.
If your just cutting shading and want to balance the par to what you have you’ll need a meter.

OP
OP
Zazzy

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I wouldn’t bother with a dimmable t5 Esp if your only running 52s on an sps dom tank. The led will pretty easily overpowerer them. Or can rather , depending on the setting.

If you like blue go more blue plus , if you like a little more white color g0 w two c+.

If you like the purple violet of the led don’t bother with a purple plus.

I’m short, you can compliment the colors you have with the led by picking complimentary tubes , or pick the tubes and adjust the led to compliment the t5 while they are on.

If your trying to just add par , at 12 in each tube is about 150 par.
If your just cutting shading and want to balance the par to what you have you’ll need a meter.
I'm trying to add par and remove shadowing but also enhance color from t5 use. I've read or brs website your not suppose to supplement LEDs with actinic bulbs only halides?! Is this really true. What will it do if I do so

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on actinic concern, remember dont bring sand to the beach, if you have a good led blue compliment it with another color dont compete. Adding coral plus is a good all around choice for shading and par

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about 2 blue+ and 2 coral + as my tank is already very blue as it is?
I would instead do two blue+ one coral+ and one purple+ This was the recommendation given to me by a coral supplier for good spectrum and growth.

OP
OP
Zazzy

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on actinic concern, remember dont bring sand to the beach, if you have a good led blue compliment it with another color dont compete. Adding coral plus is a good all around choice for shading and par
My tank is really blue as it is now

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I'm trying to add par and remove shadowing but also enhance color from t5 use. I've read or brs website your not suppose to supplement LEDs with actinic bulbs only halides?! Is this really true. What will it do if I do so
Honestly it’s a bit more specific than that. Ie how much is what we call actinic is in the light already. IMO , coral don’t actually use that much of that range. It’s for us. “Pop” factor.
This my reference to your settings now.
Actinic is like a Black light , it fluoresces certain pigments. So your leds already give a nice pop I’d go with some of the more standard tube choices. Actinic bulbs are low out put in terms of par (and pur) and basic intensity. So adding one will defeat the purpose of adding par and curing shading. (Shading is both the size of source and filling in the shadow ratios with intensity).

So all the tube choices offered here will do very well for you.
Only the actinic bulb is in question.

Esp when you consider the fact that a fully 56k and 14k bulb will grow amazing and colorful coral, but you may not like the way it looks visually.
Can of worms there I know.

OP
OP
Zazzy

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it’s a bit more specific than that. Ie how much is what we call actinic is in the light already. IMO , coral don’t actually use that much of that range. It’s for us. “Pop” factor.
This my reference to your settings now.
Actinic is like a Black light , it fluoresces certain pigments. So your leds already give a nice pop I’d go with some of the more standard tube choices. Actinic bulbs are low out put in terms of par (and pur) and basic intensity. So adding one will defeat the purpose of adding par and curing shading. (Shading is both the size of source and filling in the shadow ratios with intensity).

So all the tube choices offered here will do very well for you.
Only the actinic bulb is in question.

Esp when you consider the fact that a fully 56k and 14k bulb will grow amazing and colorful coral, but you may not like the way it looks visually.
Can of worms there I know.
That's why I was thinking 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ cause my tank is really blue as it is and it will add a little more white but not wash things out if I were to do it with my led.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up with a dimmable retrofit kit be sure you season your bulbs at 100% prior to dimming them. I would recommend the LET Lighting retro for this type of application. I would run one in front and one behind using each ballast, this way you could operate 1 in front 1 behind or 2 in front 2 behind during normal operation.

Choosing bulb choices is a bit like posting "what color car should I get" in a car forum. It really is what you personally like and appreciate. I for one would use 1x Aqua Blue Special because I prefer a "top 20 feet while diving" kind of look rather than 60+ feet windex look. I think having C+ and P+ at the least would be recommended especially since you said "its already very blue".

OP
OP
Zazzy

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up with a dimmable retrofit kit be sure you season your bulbs at 100% prior to dimming them. I would recommend the LET Lighting retro for this type of application. I would run one in front and one behind using each ballast, this way you could operate 1 in front 1 behind or 2 in front 2 behind during normal operation.

Choosing bulb choices is a bit like posting "what color car should I get" in a car forum. It really is what you personally like and appreciate. I for one would use 1x Aqua Blue Special because I prefer a "top 20 feet while diving" kind of look rather than 60+ feet windex look. I think having C+ and P+ at the least would be recommended especially since you said "its already very blue".
What do u mean in front and behind. In front of what

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back