2 Butterflies

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Copperbands, I know they are a pain, but if I order from Dr. Reef, I am thinking it's probably eating since it has been in that place for so long. I already have a Heniochus waiting in my QT. I am tempted to a CB once I empty out my qt. Am I pushing it? They both seem to be on the more peaceful side, but you never know with fish. Do you think this can be done in a 125? My other larger fish are Yellow Tang and Powder Blue, and I am not anticipating much trouble from them. My Heni is small, only about 1.5 in.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Copperbands, I know they are a pain, but if I order from Dr. Reef, I am thinking it's probably eating since it has been in that place for so long. I already have a Heniochus waiting in my QT. I am tempted to a CB once I empty out my qt. Am I pushing it? They both seem to be on the more peaceful side, but you never know with fish. Do you think this can be done in a 125? My other larger fish are Yellow Tang and Powder Blue, and I am not anticipating much trouble from them. My Heni is small, only about 1.5 in.
General consensus is no with how finicky copper bands are, but maybe someone who has tried it can chime in

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - CB with yellow tang is a no but in a 6 ft tank may be - I have seen my yt change it’s character so before you introduce him make sure he is in a acclimation box and observe , if you release and cb hanging on the top of the tank time to take him out.

To dissipate aggression you can also move the rock work around so all fish are kind of confused and exploring and at the same level. one thing (even though not for cb but in another case) worked for was to put the net in the water - my fish become defensive and forget their fighting

Secondly have plenty of blackworm they like it.

I had relatively bad luck with them but failure teaches you a thing or 2 - I might try again but time will tell

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Both will coexist as Ive had that combo and they are both peaceful genus of butterfly group. Heniocus Very good feeder as you may have found already

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey - CB with yellow tang is a no but in a 6 ft tank may be - I have seen my yt change it’s character so before you introduce him make sure he is in a acclimation box and observe , if you release and cb hanging on the top of the tank time to take him out.

To dissipate aggression you can also move the rock work around so all fish are kind of confused and exploring and at the same level. one thing (even though not for cb but in another case) worked for was to put the net in the water - my fish become defensive and forget their fighting

Secondly have plenty of blackworm they like it.

I had relatively bad luck with them but failure teaches you a thing or 2 - I might try again but time will tell
They actually do well. These guys were once in a 135g together in fact here is a pic of them in my 135g

1691293468825.png

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback. I am still undecided about it because of CBs eating problems. Don't want to put it in a situation where it's too stressed and stops eating.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned with powder blue tang than with aggression between butterflies. If you are going to get quarantined fish, in this case CBB, they should send you a fish that is already eating and in good health, just make sure you have the same food to offer.

OP
OP
P

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned with powder blue tang than with aggression between butterflies. If you are going to get quarantined fish, in this case CBB, they should send you a fish that is already eating and in good health, just make sure you have the same food to offer.
I know they tend to be more aggressive, but my Yellow keeps it in check. That's why I am not too worried about him. I think I will have to slowly introduce the CBB to the tank if I do decide to get one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are both peaceful genus of butterfly group.
Honestly, I disagree. Chelmon isn’t a peaceful group once established. I’ve found them to be very territorial, especially towards other butterflies.

Heniochus is more peaceful but even then I’ve found them to be very territorial.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Honestly, I disagree. Chelmon isn’t a peaceful group once established. I’ve found them to be very territorial, especially towards other butterflies.

Heniochus is more peaceful but even then I’ve found them to be very territorial.
Youve found them but overall having had them and selling them, never had an issue with them and currently know two persons with a trio and is their model citizens. They will devour zoa coral but are a good tankmate

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of that can depend on the individual character of the fish, generally butterflies are shy and delicate fish but I have read stories of real nasty fish with some others, especially other butterflies, so they seem to have a lot in common with angelfish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youve found them but overall having had them and selling them, never had an issue with them and currently know two persons with a trio and is their model citizens. They will devour zoa coral but are a good tankmate
Ive also sold them and still do in an LFS, all the ones I’ve had that thrive are territorial. Especially to other butterflies.
And currently I have a 4 year old specimen who is just as territorial
IMG_6313.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry not high jacking the thread but can they coexist with pyramid butterflies ?

In a 8 ft tank ?
Yes and easily

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back