2 Clownfish

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these 2 clowns Friday. I noticed tonight (11/25, around 11 pm central) white spots on both. I don’t really know how to describe them and my camera didn’t pick them up well. It kinda looks like an ant bite. A small mound with a white dot. I can only see them with my light off and with my phone flashlight on. I’ll try to attach the best picture.

IMG_2345.JPG

I’m not sure if it’s some sort of parasite or what. They both eat well, I fed them some flakes earlier. I don’t know what to do. They’re both in quarantine with 79 degree water, 1.025 salinity.

I really want to save these guys. They’re my first saltwater fish. Any advice?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these 2 clowns Friday. I noticed tonight (11/25, around 11 pm central) white spots on both. I don’t really know how to describe them and my camera didn’t pick them up well. It kinda looks like an ant bite. A small mound with a white dot. I can only see them with my light off and with my phone flashlight on. I’ll try to attach the best picture.

IMG_2345.JPG

I’m not sure if it’s some sort of parasite or what. They both eat well, I fed them some flakes earlier. I don’t know what to do. They’re both in quarantine with 79 degree water, 1.025 salinity.

I really want to save these guys. They’re my first saltwater fish. Any advice?

Hey just kind of ran into your post. I too recently brought home clowns an noticed white specs/spots on one of them. Turns out they must have gotten into some sand. It was like a little sand flake or something because it wasn’t there the next morning. Fish have a mucous or coat. I bet a lot of things stick and then get sloughed off in a few hours. Just a theory. I really am not sure what happened in my case either. But at least that’s a positive response instead of telling you your whole tank is going to crash soon....lol

OP
OP
EthanDouglas

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that’s good news. I think it’s possible in my case. I noticed a lot of particulate suspended in the water. Maybe it’s just that sticking to them. I’ll do a water change in the morning. Hopefully suck some stuff out.

I don’t even know what ich or flukes really look like, google images was all over the place. My gut is just telling me this is something more than sand stuck on them (mainly because I don’t have any sand in the tank). I really hope that is the case though.

Thanks for your reply

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
EthanDouglas

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s morning now. I can’t visually see the white dots anymore. However, they both look visually stressed. They’re sort of pacing around the tank and every now and then one will dart to the other side.

Did my tests. Ammonia and nitrite both read 0. I added 20 mL of “fluval cycle” as it’s the only thing on hand and I’m thinking maybe something happened when I removed my filters before adding fish? They looked gunked up from the ghost feeding I did. Probably shouldn’t remove both at one time?

Does anybody else have an idea? Is there a kit I can buy that will test for parasites?

Probably not... that would make life too easy, huh.

I’ll keep you guys updated. I’m currently making more salt water to do a water change later on.

OP
OP
EthanDouglas

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be from debris in the water, but with new clowns I'm always paranoid about brook: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

Flukes are another possibility: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/flukes-–-general-guidelines.224423/

If it doesn't clear soon, a 5 min FW dip can be used to confirm both: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

You posted this as I was writing mine. Thanks for the links. I’ll read through the threads. On the dip, I think I’ll wait until tonight. I can only see the specs when it’s dark and I have a focused light shining on them. If I can still see the white specs then I’ll do the FW dip tomorrow.

OP
OP
EthanDouglas

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook- it doesn’t appear to be the case. Could be too early to tell. I see none of the skin peeling associated with brook.

Flukes- I don’t see any of the symptoms here either. These guys aren’t lethargic at all. They’re very active actually.

It could be because they’ve just been introduced and are warming up to the tank. They’re kind of pacing around the tank and then going to a corner and swimming up, down, up, down, then repeating.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re kind of pacing around the tank and then going to a corner and swimming up, down, up, down, then repeating.

Clownfish will do this, usually in an anemone or coral they are trying to use as a host. They may just be uncomfortable in your QT, but should adjust in time.

OP
OP
EthanDouglas

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. Last night I checked and the dots seemed to be going away. Maybe it was just some particles in the water. I plan on doing a water change today, maybe that will take some of whatever it is out. Thanks for the help

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back