2 Fish Dead in 2 days!!!

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Monday Evening I was feeding the fish like always checking things over all the fish and corals look great everything is eating and doing well did not see any issues or problems. About 30-40 Minutes later my Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby darted out from under a rock looked like it was having a seizure, twitching like it got shocked or something. It Died within 5-10 minutes shortly after, I inspected the fish and did not see any unusual signs of disease or trauma to the fish, so I just chocked it up as a freak issue. Tuesday Evening same routine all fish eating corals look great water nice and clear, and out of no where one of my Blue Chromis was doing the same thing as the Sleeper Goby twitching acting like it got shocked, it Died shortly after. I checked all Parameters last night all looks good and normal, all my other fish look great don't see any issues, I am perplexed by this! The Blue Chromis I have had for more than 3 years, and the Sleeper Goby about 5 months. The only thing I have added within the last 2 weeks was a Dragon Soul Torch with 3 heads, other than that I have not added any new Livestock or Corals for over a month. Any Idea what could cause these Fish to die so quickly is it possible the Torch Stung the Fish?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disease from adding new fish wo preps? can we rule that out

in the disease forum they dont require a fish to look diseased, on the outside, for the diagnostics

they begin by asking if there is quarantine and fallow in place, and if not-disease preps are advised about 98% of the time. They don't usually ascribe natural deaths to fish in places where skip qt occurs, I'm reading that from the fish disease forum troubleshoots as we speak/relaying it here

OP
OP
bpbonds

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine the Fish for a Month to 2 Months in a 30 Gallon, before adding to main display, also the fish I buy come from a local LFS that I know and trust been buying from them for 20 years now.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it seems odd to default to fish disease in each case but I fail to pick up in the disease forum where that isn't the likely cause nowadays, the rates of disease loss are shocking, active, the forum will get five or ten new posts today alone on the matter. we can search out about 20 threads easily where simply adding a clean up crew caused massive fish losses, anything wet added from a vectoring tank seems to be where we start in analysis, not wind up to

the torches are wet vectors. this isn't made up: anything wet violates biosecurity I'm reading it off Jay's posts promise/not making it up.

Most people not in the disease forum will rule it out sternly though, so I guess there isn't a way to assess the issue here. people will now ask for the general params of the tank, I'm assuming those are ok if the corals stay alive, so there isn't a way to tell then about the losses whatsoever if we're ruling out disease immediately. nobody will have any possible way to guess at the causes now.

it will remain a mystery.

OP
OP
bpbonds

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it seems odd to default to fish disease in each case but I fail to pick up in the disease forum where that isn't the likely cause nowadays, the rates of disease loss are shocking, active, the forum will get five or ten new posts today alone on the matter. we can search out about 20 threads easily where simply adding a clean up crew caused massive fish losses, anything wet added from a vectoring tank seems to be where we start in analysis, not wind up to
It very well could be a Disease, its just strange the fish looked great and acted normal eating well and all of a sudden dead. Just odd!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you certainly have stronger input controls than the average keeper/with the good lfs preps that really helps. I know it sounds odd that the small degree of water attached to new corals could vector, also you didn't lose the majority of fish it was selective. hope that means not disease, at least a few factors point to that possibility. your params are obviously ok in a system cared for like that, it runs between disease or simple physical death in the fish I guess/natural causes would be the only two things we could guess at it seems

OP
OP
bpbonds

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got up this morning thinking about the rest for the Fish and all looked good, I will continue to monitor, maybe rule it as natural causes.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus you've likely cared for them well enough in a setup with those careful preps where the others are able to fight it back. that still allows for a disease input breakthrough point but neutralizes it with fish adapted and strong in the system. seems reasonable

OP
OP
bpbonds

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I was expecting to have some Fish issues early on with this Tank but all has been great since I set up in July. Its not my first Rodeo its my 7th Reef tank so I know the ins and outs of proper Prep with the fish and Corals, it just seemed odd to me. It is however my first time owning Torch Corals, have had plenty of Hammers and Frogspawn over the years.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some people honestly do not have disease issues in the way they reef, and source materials. its a meetup between inherent skill and luck and for sure it exists, these folks are often the staunchest anti quarantine advocates its neat to see you practiced reasonable controls from the disease forum. very nice.

OP
OP
bpbonds

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power heads are Mp40's and brand new, Heater is also brand new, not seeing any equipment issues all looks to be working correctly.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with stay voltage. Check heaters / powerheads to make sure no wires are exposed.
This might be a stupid question but would you not feel stray voltage putting your hand in the tank? I had a faulty used pump I was using in my coral dipping container since it was so weak. one day I put my hand in to feel how warm the water was getting and got shocked pretty good.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what always shocked me was the posts where they stick one part of an electrical meter in the wall and the other part in the tank, where is my mushroom cloud meme lol

I know that is probably the correct way to assess ground, but for non electricians it seems like step nine of the mushroom cloud meme

disclaimer: stick nothing in a wall outlet. find someone you trust before overriding the disclaimer

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question but would you not feel stray voltage putting your hand in the tank? I had a faulty used pump I was using in my coral dipping container since it was so weak. one day I put my hand in to feel how warm the water was getting and got shocked pretty good.
You would so long as nothing else in the tank is acting as a ground. I stick a titanium probe into the tank just in case anything does fault.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't feel any shock if wearing rubber soles

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what always shocked me was the posts where they stick one part of an electrical meter in the wall and the other part in the tank, where is my mushroom cloud meme lol

I know that is probably the correct way to assess ground, but for non electricians it seems like step nine of the mushroom cloud meme

disclaimer: stick nothing in a wall outlet. find someone you trust before overriding the disclaimer
Well, I would hope they would know to stick it in the ground hole if doing anything like that.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see: details matter. the meme came from gross misinterpretation of the rule

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back